[Moved] Why not use Symbian on feature phones again?

This is the main reason why I stand with Symbian OS

[Moved] Why not use Symbian on feature phones again?

JAVA JAVA
✭✭✭  /  edited April 9

This is the main reason why I stand with Symbian OS

Comments

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

Symbian lived it's life. Now is the time of iOS and Android. I don't think Symbian will come back. May be I wrong. But reality is that more than 90 percent smartphone comes with iOS and Android.

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

I am not taking about smartphones I am taking about featured phone 😎😎 with Symbian OS

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @JAVA,

I moved this discussion and gave it a proper title. Please make sure you 1) post in the right subforum and 2) give your threads a helpful title so that others can understand what the discussion is about.

Cheers 🙂

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thanks a lot nice see that people like you helping me out . I can use a hand here. Thanks

• Vinesh Tamrakar Vinesh Tamrakar
    ✭✭✭  / 

Getting nostalgic 🥺🥺. I don't know about the possibility if there's any ! As nokia and most of the other manufacturers currently using KaiOS for feature phones as it is more capable. It supports things like NFC etc. And much more. Even the jiophone runs on KaiOS. But I have to mention that it is not as reliable as Symbian OS used to be. For example the jio phone is extremely slow .

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

@HMDLaura please let's have a last chance for Symbian OS . Nokia models like 5310 2020 ( Who don't have experces logo on it) sarcasm He wear Batman suit and call him self Superman 🤣🤣. HMD please

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

Only thing Jio used KaiOS os because there no another os available that time.so they moved on to KaiOS . Then developers started to supporting it because companies like Jio started to using it. Nokia Symbian OS discontinued because Nokia (original) was only owner of that Os Nokia had full control of the os . When Nokia fallen down the os down with it. Symbian OS already ready apps like maps Ovi Store , gallery, Music a Player already ready . It's Just need a Jump start that all Nokia (HMD) needs even app not available . Symbian OS can download hundred of apps independently. @HMDLaura please give a shot for her that's all I am asking.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @JAVA,

Here's a list of the things which I believe need to be done to get Symbian on a current HMD phone:

• Update the build/compile system to use currently supported tools
    • Update it to use multiple CPUs (ARMv7) and 64bit processors (ARMv8)
    • Update it to use modern GPUs
    • Update it to support modern display resolutions
    • Get any kind of software support from hardware vendors - all hardware support basically disappeared after 2011, which means there are no Symbian drivers for modern hardware any more
    • Update it to support anything which was new since 2012 (a lot of things, e.g. Bluetooth 4 and 5, Wifi 5 and 6, Miracast,
    • Update all the applications to interface with current APIs for online services
    • Get any kind of interest from third party app developers to update their apps or develop new ones

If that list wasn't hard enough, then the most difficult thing of all is finding anyone who remembers how Symbian works and can do any of the above stuff!

Unless a genius hobbyist learns all about Symbian and does this, then it is not happening because it does not make economic sense for a company to do it when the Linux kernel is free for anyone to use and already has a huge amount of hardware support and programmers who know how to write software for it.

BTW @Vinesh Tamrakar, Symbian does support NFC - Nokia were one of the first companies to support NFC on any phones, I think they started putting it on Symbian devices in 2010.

Cheers 🙂

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

That's I am talking about about finally someone understand. Nokia is only brand that's now manufacturing New featured phone. Is not very hard to try one or two models with Symbian OS. The symbian OS was act like stock android on pixel

Reason why I am saying it pixel come with 12.2 MP single camera who produced great images by the working of hardware and. Software together.

Meanwhile Nokia series like X2 , C2

Only having a 2 MP camera that's produce great images even beating today featured phones.

For me Nokia old series some them 24 hours of video recording features ( X2 series)

Today Nokia 216 ( only have 2 hours of video recording capacity)

Well I have to admit that every company moved on to smartphones.

Nokia ( HMD) still doing

@madbilly is possible to install symbian OS on New Nokia 5310 music express?

I hope HMD will listen to this discussion .

They can induced new mode by the time they going announce Nokia 9.1

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @JAVA,

I think you've missed my point. It's an enormous task to update Symbian to work on modern hardware - honestly, it's probably infeasible. No, you can't just install it on a 5310.

Cheers 🙂

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

@Vinesh Tamrakar I surely agreed with you .

Speed between Nokia Symbian OS and KaiOS.

One more thing we missing it The colour icon on call rejecting button and accepting button the Green and Red Nokia @HMDLaura have bring back they icon. And fasnating thing I noticed Nokia new some of the model don't

The original Nokia ringtone ( used on 2011 model)

@madbilly do you like old ringtone or new one? I perfer the old one they have a great sound.HMD can use it on smartphones two

And no-one can't forget the standed msg ringtone tone of Nokia

This fome doesn't let me upload that kind of files.

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

Just asking my doubt my friend@madbilly

I hope HMD will take care of it. Until that I am not going to give up

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

@HMDLaura have faith on Featured phones

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @JAVA,

The ringtones have changed in almost every model since Nokia started to use that tune in the 90s (I think). The original was actually created by a guitarist and was later used by Nokia.

Cheers 🙂

• Nirmal Katariya Nirmal Katariya
    ✭✭✭  / 

🙂Nice...

But I don't think HMD Global will invest any resources in Symbian OS.

There two reason:

1) KaiOS getting better and better with time as we all know their deal with Mozilla will bring letest Quantum engine optimization and many new features with letest gecko engine.

2) Symbian is two old for modern standards. As @madbilly said.

One thing doing better so there are no point to change that thing.

Thanks 😀

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

@Nirmal Katariya the way you explained it's great. I thinks now @JAVA should understand that Symbian is past on features phone as well and can't gain momentum again.

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

@Nirmal Katariya@San.Phu Let's me tell you one symbian OS every hard to work with updates I can understand that . Company like HMD . They don't have to create new design or spec for featured phones because Old Nokia showed Us how software and hardware can work HMD just have to make it.

One more thing guys KaiOS never better than symbian OS in the Speed and function. Still people buying old Nokia phones from stores like AliExpress . Still selling Nokia X2 SERIES AND C SERIES . IF NOKIA KAIOS BETTER they why people buying old Nokia with Symbian? Because it's not just a phone or software is nostalgia for 90s and 20 s kids. That why still Noka old phone gone selling.

But Nokia Symbian phone have a indipendent downloading systems. For anything

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

Well guys @madbilly @nirmal I just found that ovi store browsing section still working on all old nokia series like x2 and C and downloaded games like modern combat 3.

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 
  • βωρδάρτ βωρδάρτ
    ✭✭  /  edited April 15

@JAVA the phones you show do not run symbian, but S40 (another classic nokia OS). No nokia feature phone ever ran symbian, by definition (if it ran symbian, it wasn't a feature phone). The currently used S30+ is a more limited fork of s40.

Nokia hasn't owned symbian for nearly a decade now, and most likely can't bring it back (if it could, it wouldn't be for feature phones anyways). But S40 was maybe passed on to MS and then HMD

Also, concerning classic nokia ringtones, I've found a lot here: http://onj3.andrelouis.com/phonetones/zipped/Nokia/

most of them are in mid or aac format and can be loaded on the sd card of any nokia FP for use as a ringtone.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @JAVA,

Are you sure it's the proper Ovi store and not the Bemobi store? http://ovi.sigma.apps.bemobi.com/en_us/?ecid=1

Bemobi used to be the Opera store, which is what all Symbian phone stores apps were redirected to with their final update.

Cheers 🙂

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

Well I am taking about s30 running x2 series phones and Symbian OS own by Now Nokia original. Nokia didn't sell or shared the os it might have chance

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

Well@madbilly I will be providing Screenshot tomorrow.you can look in to it

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

@java i am feeling good that you are focusing on symbian, S30 or S40.We are all with you,keep the good work going.

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

Try to get back my memories . Back to nostalgia that's all@San.Phu

• Arthur Amatus Arthur Amatus
    ✭✭  / 

O KaiOS veio para cobrir a falta de Meego e Symbian.

• Gowtham Sarathy Gowtham Sarathy
    ✭✭  /  edited April 16

Imagine all Nokia feature phones starts shipping with symbian S60 or atleast S40.

They bring back small sized capacitive touch features phones and button phones with symbian S60 or S40 based on prices. Like button phones having S40 and small touch feature phones having Symbian S60.

Because at the time of closing those two OS, both had matured and non buggy and where fully functional. Not like Android or Kai (****) OS.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @JAVA,

I think those phones run S40 not S30, S30 is basic. Still, if the S40 store really is still going I'm very surprised and impressed! I'm sure that S40 was sold to MS back in 2014 but whether it got sold back to HMD/FIH Mobile I don't know, but I doubt it.

Cheers 🙂

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  /