[Moved] After March security patch update 2020 Nokia 8.1

After installing latest March SP udate 2020 on Nokia 8.1 Build- 00W_4_30B.

[Moved] After March security patch update 2020 Nokia 8.1

Indian09 Indian09
✭✭  /  edited April 9

After installing latest March SP udate 2020 on Nokia 8.1 Build- 00W_4_30B.

*Charging time has been surprisingly increased to 2hr25min for full charge its really frustrating please help!

*After this march update when Nokia 8.1 is charged on switch off mode the Battery percentage suppose that it is 60 and when you will boot immediately the device it will be somewhere around 66.

*The Camera is also having poor detail after this update.

*There is no network signals in safe mode after the Andriod 10 update.

*I am facing heating issues just in using normal apps like whatsapp instagram dictionary with no background app running bluetooth hotspot location turned off my device temperature ranges 38-41C(Ambient temperature-32C) In idle condition it shows 33-35C, this never use to happen until this update i Hard reseted several times used in safe mode then too the temperature rating is same.

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Indian09,

That's a big list of problems you've got. I moved your post to the 8.1 subforum as you are more likely to get help with your specific issues here. It would be better to address each point in a separate post. Have you searched to see if anyone else in the 8.1 subforum has posted about similar issues?

Did you contact support directly about these points?

Cheers 🙂

• Indian09 Indian09
    ✭✭  / 

I gave a feedback on Nokia Support App addressing all issues and mailed HMD too.

@Vasudev1 is also facing the same issues.

Hopefully issues will be resolved.

• markw49 markw49
    ✭✭✭  / 

Charging time has increased to extend the life of the battery so it is FOR YOUR BENEFIT!!! also standby time and general battery life is significantly improved.

Haven't noticed anything about battery percentage

No issues with the camera either, are you focussing properly?

Why do you need to use safe mode? If your phone is playing up maybe one of your apps is causing the issue?

As normal temp for phones is 45-50C what are you worrying about? Maybe stop obsessing with finding issues and enjoy your phone!!

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  / 

Are you using ta 1121 Indian version or ta 1131 eu version?

I've been having having not so stellar battery life and degraded camera image or video quality. SOT is now 2 to 3hrs than 8-9hrs. I've done a clean reset couple of times and afterwards issues persist.

• DoctorDel DoctorDel
    ✭✭  / 

Then whats the need of fast charging ! 🤔 Taking 2 n half hrs to get full charged... Thats pathetic!

• markw49 markw49
    ✭✭✭  / 

What's pathetic, the fact that it takes all of 2.5 hrs (150 minutes) to fully charge the phone! Wow would you want it charged quicker while simultaneously reducing battery life???? Good god any little issue and all you lot do is moan and whinge about it. Name me ONE phone that has ZERO issues, I bet you can't can you? Even the Samsung A7 update is bricking certain models as Samsung used two different power PCBs and one is not recognised by the update thereby completely wrecking the phone!! If you all really want to sort out the 'bugs' then learn to code, get a job with HMD and write the damn firmware yourself, until then deal with it or buy another brand (and whinge and moan on their forums as well), Christ get a life - oh and my phone is a TA-1128 running build 4_30B

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  / 

It's a different device. Ta 1121 have less bands them eu version. If i compare it to yours, my phone can't even pick up lte bands used in uk.

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  / 

It's a deal breaker for me. I am used to fast charging and I'll simply swap out the battery myself when battery craps out.

There is charge limiter built into firmware that slows down current once 80% is reached.

After March update, I'm observing battery charges slowly till 80% and then fast charges to 100%.

• Indian09 Indian09
    ✭✭  /  edited April 10

Nokia 8.1 was sold with fast charging feature isn't it? Anything around 1hr40min to full charge is acceptable but 2hr30min seriously?

I have gone through 2 DAP(replacement) due to manufacturing defects but still purchased it cz of faith in Nokia camera quality,fast charging and premium look of this device.

• Indian09 Indian09
    ✭✭  / 

I agree with you that stand by and screen on time has been increased but the phone was sold with a feature of fast charging isn't it, if it is taking 2hr20min to full charge then the word fast charging shouldn't be used with this device.

• Indian09 Indian09
    ✭✭  / 

After knowing about the features of this device and comparing with other brands then only i bought it,me and my family is using nokia devices from years with faith and trust in it cz of that only even after 2 defected pieces i got and refund then later still i bought the same device.

The Device never heated this much in normal usage never as it is made of glass and metal, heat is easily felt on the hands after the update it always feel warm 39-41C in normal usage, this device earlier doesn't use to heat that much dats one of the reasons i purchased it.

Camera quality is degraded in terms of detailing,video and its OIS too glitchy and the front camera it really disappoints after this update,on Android 10 SP JAN (00WW_4_15B_SP04) camera was superb,i request nokia atleast provide the same camera firmware which we used to get in 00WW_4_15B_SP04 build.

• markw49 markw49
    ✭✭✭  / 

Seriously can't see how it's a deal breaker, is your life that hectic that you can't wait another 50 minutes to charge your phone? Maybe be thankful that HMD are trying to extend the battery life of a near 18 month old device!! Also 'fast charge' only works with the display OFF, if you use your phone then it won't fast charge at the same time!!!

• markw49 markw49
    ✭✭✭  / 

Camera quality degraded, really?? nothing wrong with mine:

This was taken on a run last week, looks pretty good to me! Has the camera firmware actually changed? I don't think so. Maybe factory reset it and see what happens. Mine also never gets hot even playing games and it's normal for a phone to reach 50C while in use, if you're not on WiFi the phone will work harder on data and thus get warmer. Anyway all you people seem to do is moan so good luck to you

• Indian09 Indian09
    ✭✭  / 

You are using a different device/version of same Nokia 8.1 as @Vasudev1 already told above, people from India are facing lot of issues,so we are complaining and giving feedback too.

These all issues are genuine,users are posting.

Camera is degraded in terms of video ois and image quality whoever in the HMD authority wants it's proof i can provide.

The Device is heating too more than before it used too,i always use wifi btw still high temp. after the update before this update it wasn't heating this much.Tried factory reset more than 5 times nothing changed.

The phone was sold with a feature of #fastcharging 1:30-1:45 is acceptable but 2:30 seriously.

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  /  edited April 11

I don't have patience to wait since the device was charging normally and was not really that hot whilst fast charging.

Camera quality has certainly degraded since cropping to small size I'm losing all details. For example faces and cloth looks too smooth just like heavy make-up. It feels like I'm looking at some Anime character.

What I've done so far to get an hour of extra sot:

1. Disable wake up screen during notification
    2. Disable wifi scan throttling
    3. Deny location to every app and enable location when in use is very buggy and kills battery.
    4. My phone app's helper module constantly keeps the device from going to deep sleep state according to adb dumpsys batterystats. I can see Google app, Google news prevent from deep sleep and disabling location entirely fixed it for me while in earlier 4.15b build I had 20 apps set to use location when in use!
    5. Idle battery drain
    6. Portable Hotspot uses more battery than earlier 4.15b build.
    7. Video ois falling back to eis for 1080p or 4k.

For ois, I've switched to gcam and can verify ois is working fine with forced ON or auto mode.

This is the max i can suggest as a feedback. I've not removed evenwell battery protect, stability monitor and power monitor. I've hard reset the device thrice and I've installed only whatsapp and well, battery life is utter garbage.

• markw49 markw49
    ✭✭✭  / 

Yet the firmware is the same regardless and the only real difference in hardware is what frequencies the phone can detect so again don't really get your point. As for charging do it overnight then who cares how long it takes. I can get a good 6-8 hours of use during the day and still have plenty of battery left in the evening. Using stock Android 10 (4_30B) build with no tweaks or changes. All system software left in place (Evenwell etc.), I've had over 2 hours of screen on time today and it's only dropped 10%. Maybe it's some shittily written app you've got installed that's draining the battery and not the phone at all, ever thought of that?

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  / 

I've only installed whatsapp and background battery usage is restricted.

I don't understand why looking or scanning for frequency kills battery too much since Indian version has only 3,5 and 8 as fdd lte and tdd lte being 40/41. I'm using only band 40 and there is no CA enabled!

If 2 CA was enabled and I'd be more than happy with current sot of 4hrs since download speed will be around 150-200Mb/sn while upload being strong 50-80Mbps. But that's not case.

From my POV, I'll visit support forums only when I face issues and i take people's advice to get the issue resolved! Even when I've an issue I make sure i do basic diagnostics and i don't simply spam forums.

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  / 

• Joe2101 Joe2101
    ✭✭  / 

Nokia 8.1 March update

* Charging time extended

*Rapid charging only visible when charge is below 10% and after that it stops

*Phone heats up

*Display left side red line visible and the same in safe mode is not visible

• markw49 markw49
    ✭✭✭  / 

Wow, really? charge time is extended?? have never seen that topic before. Rapid charging only works when phone is not in use and display is OFF so no Ambient lock screen or anything else charging will be slower. Charge time is extended as that is the best way to preserve battery life. Define heats up, anything around 45-50C is normal for a phone. Visible redline is probably a hardware fault and nothing to do with MR

• MohdFurqanAhmed MohdFurqanAhmed
    ✭✭  / 

I am also facing the same issues specially with charging where the device is charging extremely slow and heating alot during the charging

• Indian09 Indian09
    ✭✭  / 

Give a feedback on nokia support app and raise a complain too by directly mailing to hmdglobal, only then the issue will be resolved.

• Indian09 Indian09
    ✭✭  /  edited April 11
  • Indian09 Indian09
    ✭✭  / 

why are u flagging and disagreeing with all the comments,you are using TA-1128, we TA-1121, Indian version users are genuinely facing issues.Everyone is complaining and expecting a fix from Nokia.

You don't do such childish things,those who are facing issues need a fix.

• markw49 markw49
    ✭✭✭  / 

Firstly I'm not flagging anything and I'm not disagreeing just trying to explain some of the new behaviour you lot are experiencing. For example @Vasudev1 posted this: I don't understand why looking or scanning for frequency kills battery too much since Indian version has only 3,5 and 8 as fdd lte and tdd lte being 40/41. I'm using only band 40 and there is no CA enabled! it is obvious that they don't understand that if a phone can only connect using data and not WiFi then the battery will drain quicker as it constantly searches for a more stable connection. Irrelevant how many frequencies there are, it's just how phones work. The longer charging time? like I already said, has probably been implemented to increase battery life. I personally don't care that it takes a little longer to charge as I charge at night anyway.

So like I said, i'm not disagreeing just trying to rationalise some of the different behaviour people are seeing.

• Indian09 Indian09
    ✭✭  / 

Whatever issues i am facing i have posted many Indian users are facing same too and believe it's an issue,

Camera, Heating, Charging Time all are genuine issues for me and many others, thanks for trying explaining ur viewpoint.

There's a bug i have mentioned above i wanna elaborate it here while Charging the device when it's off suppose the battery level is 40 after booting it show's 46 around have to restart after switching to safe mode then only i get accurate battery charge level and also while it's Charging during switch off mode if the then level is 40% if i turn the switch off and then do it on then the battery level is 55% just within the Seconds, again i have to switch to safe mode and restart the device then only correct battery level is indicated and this i have checked just after factory reset without installation of any 3 party apps.