Camera Pro Update - Your experience
Heya everyone out there,
As you know we have started rolling-out the camera update for Nokia 8. I saw some of you have received it already, for some of you it might still take a bit (depending on region and so on) but be assured you’ll receive it.
We are very interested in how you like the new update, so please feel free to share your experience here, what you like and what you don’t like and so on.
Happy exploring and best regards,
I am happy that HMD finally released the new camera app. There are bugs and missing features. One of the funniest bug is the camera app recorded its own shutter sound at the beginning, loud and clear. This doesn't happen on my budget ZenFone Go.0
So far so good, I have only tested a little bit, but one thing I found is that it is impossible to use "pro" on monochrome only in colour :-) it would be nice to have the possibility to use it in BW/monochrome also.
For quality on photos I have to test more. Anyway I like the new app ;-)0
I am very happy with the update. The interface is a lot better and very intuitive. Also like the PIP mode. Unfortunately there seems to be a bug there. It is not possible to save PIP pictures. I get a camera error.
Vicky max ✭✭✭@laura dear, camera application is good very user friendly but talking about quality improved when compare to old application .....whereas in front camera sometimes pics are like mirror need to work on it....I know front camera has no optical image stabilization... That is why when i taking pics I holding the camera steadily but sometimes pics are mirror (blur type) especially when we zoom the image....in video recorder please provide us pause feature... After 9 months we get camera firmware update usually very high expectations...... finally please increase the quality of image of front camera too especially0
Thanks for your feedback (keep it going). We will consider your wishes and try to improve so you all get the camera experience you want
Have a nice day,
The new app is smoother than the old one and also has better interface but still there are some bugs and lots of missing features :
1) sliding action to activate/deactivate pro mode does not work in landscape orientation. 2) The pro mode is not available in monochrome sensor also there is no monochrome video recording which was previously available. 3) Shutter speed range is very limited as mentioned already.
4) No 60 fps video recording as well as the slow motion video is only 120 fps although snapdragon 835 is capable of going much much higher fps count. 5) The Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) is just bad because a) it crops the available view b) gets blurry in low light situation c) OIS was much better. There should be a toggle to turn on or off the EIS. 6) Pro mode should also be available in video recording as well2
Don't really have anything to add to what's been said already. Thanks for being so pro-active with this Laura!0
Remove shutter speed limit please, at least it should be 1/4000 to 30 sec for best photography, for God's sake, don't disappoint Nokia fans2
Tan Dat ✭
Shutter speed limit should be more than 1/2 sec for better night shoot. Is it related to the camera hardware? because nokia 7 Plus has 4s shutter speed, and I do not think that No7+ camera hardware is better than No8.1
I found some bug and error of N8 on Nokia pro camera.
1. Error jump out when swaping to between the others apps. And swap between front/real camera.
2. Live Bokeh focus. It's not clear when back to edit a photo in Bokeh editor. Focus blur on the object.
3. Cannot edit Bokeh photo from last version.
4. Last version have more functional than new.
5. Front camera is good for bokeh but cannot edit focus later.
I think this version adopt for N7+ (normal/tele lens) not for N8 (colors/bw lens)0
Homi ✭problems as mentioned above , i find the auto mode, not pro is nowhere near the old auto mode (old one better). Also its always twin mode on launch0
Did anyone get camera update in India0
Vicky max ✭✭✭Dear Laura,
I won't say camera is bad but it improves some good when compared to last performance...to be frankly focus is still not best(best) whereas front camera has no OIS hence due to improve focus the images are not sharp always especially artificial lighting conditions... please provide us EIS for both rear and front camera which helps us free from video shaking0
I Have not received any Camera update and May Security update on my Nokia 8 (TA - 1004) yet and when i check for the update it says " Your System is up to date"
Is there any problem with my phone or with update0
about 3 hours ago
I Have not received any Camera update and May
Security update on my Nokia 8 (TA - 1004) yet and when i check for the
update it says " Your System is up to date"Is there any problem with my phone or with updateIts a phased roll out so you will get it when you get it unfortunately, it could be today it could be in 6 weeks.0
In auto mode quality of photos is decreased noticeably.0
The update is completely broke bokeh, before blurring level was editable after photo is taken. Now new photos haven't than functions, even old photos become uneditable, give error "no mpo file".
While I take photos in bokeh mode, bokeh level slider is not affected to anything.
I am a bit disappointed after the last update. Overall new pro mode brings more functions but the quality is becoming worse than the old one.
Hope we will get fixes as soon as possible, or at least an option to downgrade camera.0
On the plus side, I can finally see some difference between photos taken with only color sensor and ones combined from color and monochrome ones. Also, it finally works fast.
But it's still may not be as good as modded Google Camera (though I am aware it may be hard to catch up with Google's algorithms
One more thing - auto HDR seems to rarely kick in. I tried it on a window with a bright light and on auto mode, everything besides the window was dark, only forcing HDR fixed that problem. GCam on auto mode properly handles this.0
cri347 ✭✭✭The old camera app had a virtual flash (white screen at highest brightness) for the front facing camera; the new one lost this useful feature.
The camera is slow and laggy when switching between the functions (for example the switch from.rear and front camera, or single sight and dual sight mode, etc).
These in addition to the other problems mentioned above.0
I didnt even received the update yet but from what I heard:
- You didnt included saving photos as RAW in Pro mode??? Seriously? This is the basic function of every pro mode
- Shutterspeed only 1/2 is disasterous0
I have successfully update the pro camera sw but after that sometimes my camera app is showing error like -WARNING: CAMERA OPEN FAILED. Then I'll try to open my camera again and again but still same error showing. After REBOOT my phone camera working fine. So it's a bad experience so please resolved asap. I'll have the error screenshot. My con no-99038145480
I received the update today. Interface looks nice, no bugs so far, everything reacts quickly. I'm hoping the picture quality in twilight has improved... Not tested yet.0
Dear Laura ; HMD ; JS
I want to say thank you for updated version camera pro. In my opinion we have some problem in updated.
1. Pro Camera updated just for twin mode, i think you must have enable for monochrome to. Shutter speed just 1/2s , ISO 1600, make it 4s and 3200 like nokia 8 sirocco.
2. Video record don't have pause/play featured, important for to enable. And we dont have video record for monochrome like last version. As you known video monochrome its better for evening/dark place, we have alternative mode from last version.
3. I want you to rework glance mode because we dont have third parties notifications like l*ne, b*m, whtsup, fb, Twittr, etc.
4. I want you enable radio fm offline like another nokia smartphone,
5. Audio record pro software, i want you to build in my nokia 8.
Snap 835, Ram 4gb cmon you can do it better, make it usefull. Please, next updated to be better.
As your tagline, THE LEGEND IS BACK! then prove it. #fans nokia from another world.
Thank you for your attention!0
In one word, my experience with the updated camera app:
In more words:
* Settings > Grid = The 'rule of thirds' lines is too thin. It is practically invisible outdoors.
* The auto-focus or scene evaluation often makes a different last-moment decision when the picture is taken. Causes blur or wrong exposure. Close range less than 2 metres indoors is most unreliable.
Note: The picture option in Google's Messages app and in for example Sports-Tracker works better, using the standard Android camera API's.
* Auto-HDR mode does not work as expected. It does not kick in when it is needed. Highlights blow out regardless of HDR on, off or auto.
* The camera performance in back-lit scenes is now mediocre. I used to be pleased with the Nokia 8 camera performance in difficult lighting in full auto mode, but maybe I was the only one?
* The Nokia 8 unique Low-Light and Fusion modes has disappeared(?)
* Pictures come out slightly too yellowish/warm generally.
* With shutter sound enabled, the last half of the shutter sound is recorded at the beginning of each video clip.
* The video camera now seems to have both optical and electronic stabilization enabled? - There is an undesirable 'rubber-band' effect in 720p and 1080p (but not in 4K-UHD) as the camera is panned and moved around:
Overshoots the new position, then moves back slowly.
- This can't be right, if I'm right?
Adding EIS to OIS equipped hardware may also explain why still image capture in low light has become difficult, and now often come out motion blurred on top of being out of focus.
* The most requested video recording pause/resume option is still missing.
* The camera settings is split for no apparent reason, with the video
resolution settings only available when the camera is in video mode.
* The new UI encourages
the user to record photos and videos vertically. Holding a Nokia 8 the wrong way ruins both the video and the OZO surround recording.
* Swipe to toggle between photo and video mode is clumsy and not logical.
I prefer to use cameras in full-auto auto mode: There is often no time to make adjustments for snapshots, and I can't judge the result of manual changes on a phone screen when outdoors.
I was unable to find any positive changes during the weekend, but hope this is seen as first impression honest feedback.
Thanks for reading.
madbilly Super User
I don't have the update yet but I will post when I do.
Just to say I'm surprised that HMD didn't first use the Beta Labs programme for this, there does seem to be mixed feedback which could have been avoided.0
This here camera update is beginning to sound like a bit of a disaster.0
Alas it's more 1 step forwards and 2 steps back rather than the usual way round
As for the time being most of us are worse off than we were before (I'm using a hacked version of the Google Camera app in the meantime) I suspect I speak for everyone when I say that we hope Laura & Nokia will be taking all this feedback onboard and making positive changes to be released sooner rather than later.
And using the Beta channel to refine the app with committed testers before rolling it out to everyone sounds like a very good suggestion indeed.0
Please don't get it wrong, Nokia 8 can still take pictures and record video with the new app. I'm not the kind of person a company would want to work in production or quality management. I'm retired, fortunately for all ;-)
Others will be impressed by the manual control options or the enhanced bothie
features, and most people will likely just use the camera when needed,
and not worry about the technicalities.
The goal regarding the HMD camera app seems to be a common code-base for all Nokia branded Android devices, sacrificing some of the device specific features?
It would be useful to know what changed and what needs to be checked.
For example, the shutter sound at the beginning of each video recording is perhaps an indicator of more fundamental problems, regarding how the camera app acquires exclusive hardware access, or how the microphone hardware is driven?
Tonight I worry about noticeable static 'tics' during the first 5-10 seconds of video clips when the shutter sound is disabled, and trying to find a workaround or a setting somewhere to avoid it. I also need to check whether the tics occur when the shutter sound is enabled, since that would be easier to edit out.
So much to do and so little time!
Glad i'm not the only one experiencing the "tics" in the first 5/10 seconds of recording video's.
Weird thing is after shooting a few vids the static ticking sound goes aways when recording new video's, only to return after exiting the camera app for a while.
I was worried this was maybe a hardware issue with my phone, i expected this issue to go away with the Pro update since HMD said they overhauled the entire framework.
I DON'T have this problem when recording video's with a GCAM port, but in the end the audio quality suffers while recording concerts and stuff like that, OZO audio is better suited for stuff like that.
Maybe a driver issue regarding OZO? I wonder the Nokia 7 and Nokia 8 Sirocco have the same problem.0
For what it is worth, I haven't noticed any audio tics in the videos from the old HMD camera app, but will double-check later.
The OZO surround sound on Nokia 8 is the best I've heard from any affordable camcorder, so it must keep working!0
- 33.7K All Categories
- 28.3K Phones
- Nokia XR21
- 2 Nokia G22
- 3 Nokia C32
- Nokia C12
- 48 Nokia G60 5G
- 68 Nokia X30 5G
- 3 Nokia C31
- 141 Nokia G21
- 8 Nokia C21 Plus
- 2 Nokia C2 2nd Edition
- 60 Nokia G50
- 18 Nokia C30
- 108 Nokia XR20
- 10 Nokia C01 Plus
- 141 Nokia X20
- 43 Nokia X10
- 148 Nokia G20
- 36 Nokia G10
- 11 Nokia C20
- 7 Nokia C10
- 20 Nokia 1.4
- 6 Nokia C1 Plus
- 372 Nokia 5.4
- 158 Nokia 3.4
- 100 Nokia 2.4
- 4 Nokia C3
- 306 Nokia 8.3 5G
- 459 Nokia 5.3
- 20 Nokia 1.3
- 157 Nokia 2.3
- 1.3K Nokia 7.2
- 251 Nokia 6.2
- 447 Nokia 9 PureView
- 162 Nokia 2.2
- 1.7K Nokia 8.1
- 893 Nokia 7.1
- 4.6K Nokia 6.1 Plus
- 1.9K Nokia 5.1 Plus
- 2.2K Nokia 7 plus
- 349 Nokia 8 Sirocco
- 1.5K Nokia 8
- 2.1K Nokia 6.1
- 2K Nokia 6
- 230 Nokia 5.1
- 1.2K Nokia 5
- 220 Nokia 4.2
- 105 Nokia 3.2
- 781 Nokia 3.1 Plus
- 295 Nokia 3.1
- 967 Nokia 3
- 242 Nokia 2.1
- 528 Nokia 2
- 76 Nokia 1 Plus
- 287 Nokia 1
- 50 Nokia X7
- 565 Feature Phones
- 4 Nokia 8210 4g
- 4 Nokia 5710 XA
- 4 Nokia 2660 Flip
- 12 Nokia 5310
- 20 Nokia 800 tough
- 22 Nokia 2720 Flip
- 5 Nokia 110
- 2 Nokia 105
- 7 Nokia 220 4G
- 4 Nokia 210
- 79 Nokia 3310 3G
- 284 Nokia 8110 4G
- 415 All phones
- 113 Tablets
- 1 Nokia T21
- 17 Nokia T10
- 77 Nokia T20
- 3.5K General
- 117 Home of Nokia Phones
- 60 Announcements
- 2 Tutorials
- 215 All about Community
- 6 Rules & Guidelines
- 488 Community Feedback
- 196 Contest & Activities
- 14 #Campfire
- 27 Global Contests
- 6 Q&A's
- 36 #ShotOnNokia Challenges
- 895 Ideas
- 622 Anything goes
- 3.3K Tech talk
- 139 Software and Specs
- 2.2K Beta labs
- 304 Beta labs
- 216 Android Developer Preview
- 252 India