Nokia's future in the USA for those on AT&T network

First let me straight off say I hate what AT&T is doing to the smaller independent manufacturers that primarily use their own independent distribution channels, rather than selling through the carriers themselves.

Nokia's future in the USA for those on AT&T network

akbrian akbrian
✭✭  / 

First let me straight off say I hate what AT&T is doing to the smaller independent manufacturers that primarily use their own independent distribution channels, rather than selling through the carriers themselves. Yet, where I live, I need to be on the AT&T network. I have a Nokia 6.1 (TA-1045) which works perfectly fine on AT&T. Yet AT&T sent me an SMS today saying I have to buy a new phone before next week. The only Nokia on AT&T's current "whitelist" is a 6300 4G (TA-1324). Why would I want to move to that from a 6.1? As much as I respect Nokia for not participating in an obvious, in my opinion, "pay to play" scheme, I still need my phone to work. Worded as delicately as I can, is there a chance of more Nokia phones working again on the AT&T network in the near future?

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Hi @akbrian this is sad. Are there any specific reasons why AT&T decided to stop supporting the Nokia 6.1 on its network? Seems quite like a discriminatory practice.

• akbrian akbrian
    ✭✭  / 

This is the actual message they send out;

" AT&T Free Msg: ALERT! It's time to replace your 3G dependent phone! We want to give you a FREE device, because your current phone won't work when 3G network goes away. If you don't replace your phone, by July 1, 2021, any calls you make will be redirected to customer service so we can help you upgrade to a newer phone. Some features like voicemail won't work when calls are redirected. To avoid service disruption please call (877) 475-#### to get your new FREE phone today or stop by one of our stores for other great offers."

The excuse being being offered in their forums is the AT&T wants to limit their customer's phones to those that they have "certified" to work with their "proprietary" version of VoLTE, which they call HD Voice. Rather than drop to normal VoLTE, they will now be dropping the call to 3g, which they are retiring from service. They are taking a similar approach with their "proprietary" WiFi calling. You can find their whitelist by searching for "Service-Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network" . It's a PDF, so I don't know if I can link it.

• Roobaroo Roobaroo
    ✭✭  /  edited June 29

I am not sure if it contributes in any way, but there is another PDF (linked at the end) with the title "Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network" that lists all the phones, which will still work on their network after they phase out 3G in February 2022.

It mentions the following Nokia phones:

• 6300 4G (TA-1324)
    • Lumia 830
    • 3.1.A (TA-1140)
    • 3.1.C (TA-1141)
    • 3.1 Plus (TA-1124)
    • C2 Tennen (TA-1226)
    • C2 Tava (TA-1218)
    • C5 Endi (TA-1222)

The last five are Cricket Wireless models. Seems that 6300 4G is the only unlocked Nokia that will keep getting the support.

PDF:

• akbrian akbrian
    ✭✭  / 

@Roobaroo

Thank you for that link. The good news is that apparently that list is expanding, as when I looked there was only one Nokia phone on it. Hopefully Nokia will become proactive work to get their capable phones whitelisted. I don't think anybody is happy with the way AT&T is doing this.

• akbrian akbrian
    ✭✭  /  edited July 2

I just received an email announcing the G20, and on the Nokia website it shows as compatible with AT&T (and some of AT&T based MVNOs) and for sale now. Can someone from Nokia assure me that it is actually on the AT&T "whitelist"? Sadly we are in the era where meeting the technical specifications isn't enough to insure it will be allowed on their network. It has to be on their whitelist. If so, what is the actual model name (TA-####) of that "blessed by AT&T" variant?

• akbrian akbrian
    ✭✭  / 

FYI, the current published AT&T whitelist is marked "Last updated June 28, 2021". No additional Nokia's are on it. I do see the new OnePlus Nord N200 (DE2117) is already one it. Come on Nokia, put your pants on before your shoes. Don't offer a brand new phone for sale marketed compatible with AT&T (The G20 ) before getting it on the AT&T allowed list.

Your (US) webpage today July 2, 2021 shows;

This device is sold as unlocked and will work with these carriers:

AT&T

Boost

Cricket

Simple Mobile

T-Mobile

Tracfone

AT&T will either deactivate the SIM or reroute calls to their customer service number. This is of course AT&T's fault, but that's what will happen, and it will result it a lot of returned phones. This will not be good for Nokia.

• Roobaroo Roobaroo
    ✭✭  / 

TA-1343 is the variant that is available in the US. As you mentioned, AT&T last updated the document on June 28, and G20 was released in the US on July 2. So let us wait for AT&T to make more changes in the document. Hopefully, it will be included in the subsequent updates.

• akbrian akbrian
    ✭✭  / 

As I understand current AT&T policy, a phone only gets added to the whitelist if AT&T sells their version of it, or if the manufacturer submits it to AT&T for their certification. AT&T no doubt charges a fee for that process. How much that is, I don't know. HMD must know whether they have summited the phone to AT&T for approval or not, or if they plan to in the near future. This is where it would be helpful if HMD would comment officially on what their policy is going to be going forward.

• J Caux J Caux
     / 

I purchased a Nokia 6.2 this year, great phone for my needs. Few months later having to replace it because of at&t flagging it as a 3g phone. They will shutdown 3g in February 2022. Doesn't build confidence for another Nokia phone purchase. I wish Nokia would open a dialog with at&t, for their own sake, and their future in the USA. They had potential.

• akbrian akbrian
    ✭✭  /  edited July 29

Both of the two Nokia 6.1s in my family moved from AT&T to other US carriers that don't do whitelisting. Nokia just needs to indicate one way or another how they will deal with AT&T "whitelisting", because some places AT&T is the only choice for coverage. I personally hate the whitelisting practice and think it should be illegal. We have international industry standards and certifications that should be used to address compatibility issues, in my opinion.

Edit to add: VoLTE works fine on the 6.1 using T-Mobile and GCI Alaska as carriers.

• akbrian akbrian
    ✭✭  / 

It's been over 2 months and Nokia still hasn't addressed this issue. The only Nokia phone on the current AT&T unlocked (non-carrier) phone whitelist, which is currently dated September 3, 2021, is the Nokia 6300 4G (TA-1324). Nokia just doesn't seem to get it. If it's not on the whitelist, AT&T won't allow it on the network. It doesn't matter whether or not it's compatible.

If the link doesn't work (it's a PDF) search for "Service Capabilities of Unlocked Devices on the ATT Network"