No option to make SD card as internal storage - Page 4

This does not work on Nokia 8 device running Android 8.1.0. I can only setup as portable storage.

No option to make SD card as internal storage

Comments

• ians ians
     / 
    This does not work on Nokia 8 device running Android 8.1.0. I can only setup as portable storage.
  • user1538193983006 user1538193983006
     /  edited December 2018
    This feature has a bug that appears to be causing file corruption for apps and files moved to the sdcard when formatted as internal storage (even pictures and videos)
     see https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-6-2018/how-to/adoptable-storage-available-pie-update-t3873841
  • amanen1 amanen1
    ✭✭  / 
    Yes, you can by being developer, and move application into external storage.

• This is the worst phone I have brought in my life. Cannot place any apps in SD card. Literally 32 GB is peanuts. I have brought 128GB SD card on the hope that it would support based on Nokia sales person. However extremelyl disappointed. I will never buy Nokia in my life. I was a Huawei user. Need to go back to Huawei.
  • Yes, adoptable storage is a MUST! Otherwise this phone is a no go. And, Nokia, please let the customers decide what is best for them: 32 GB internal memory is quite huge but the apps also require a lot of space - so running out of memory is not unlikely. Please fix the bug!
  • maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  / 
    No problem at all, see screen prints. So, it's not by definition a bug. But, interesting to read: https://source.android.com/devices/storage/adoptable
  • Today i update my Nokia 3 , from oreo 8.0 to oreo 8.1
    same problem. sd card can't be formatted as internal storage. no option appeared, no 3dot option menu on storage setting>SD card, just two button: format & eject. when you tap format, it formats sd as external...
  • Reka92 Reka92
     / 
    nishanth said:

Nokia 5 on Oreo 8.1 

Please try the below steps, it could work. Nokia 6.1 has a Hybrid SIM slot compared to a dedicated slot of the Nokia 5. If the below doesn't work, maybe the future updates will resolve the same.
    Use a clean / formatted SD card - 

Settings > Storage > SD Card (portable Storage) > 3 dots (top right) > Storage settings > Format as Internal.

As for moving apps to Expanded Internal storage - Developer options must be enabled.
    Also, not all applications will perform smoothly.

Thanks, the Developer mode is working! :)
  • Abou Ilyès Abou Ilyès
    ✭✭  / 
    Hello everybody,

I have noticed the same problem :
    This feature has a bug that appears to be causing file corruption for apps and files moved to the sdcard when formatted as internal storage (even pictures and videos)

Does this solution below could solve the problem ?

amanen1 said:
    Yes, you can by being developer, and move application into external storage.

Thanks you :)

• gaia gaia
     /  edited December 2018
    Any news on this? Is the Developer Setting to Force apps to go onto the external storage viable?
    Don't want corruption has already had before trying the steps to get adaptive storage/format as internal...
  • Hello, I have purchased Nokia 6.1 two days ago. I can't find the option to make the sd card to internal storage. There is only a format option in the storage settings of sd card. Can't find the option "format and make as internal storage". I tried different SD cards but no option to format and make internal storage. Contacted nokia chat support and done all the things they have mentioned like hard reboot, reinsert card, clearing app cache of system ui and Android system etc etc. Nokia, please check if the conversion of SD card to internal option is available for Nokia 6.1. If not please fix that bug in the coming update. Do i need to use any specific type SD card needed for this operation? Please reply.
    I have a Nokia 3.1 Plus, which is like the latest from Nokia and it's still has this same issue, I bought the 16GB version (biggest mistake!) So, system apps take up a whole 10GB leaving me with just 6GB and after I downloaded Asphalt 8, my storage was as good as finished, I thought I'd be able to expand it for more apps like PubG, but here I am....... Struggling with about 100-200MB of internal storage.
    Right now, I'd have to delete some of my apps just to download even a 30MB application. THIS. IS. REALLY.. BAD

If you have the 32GB and 3GB RAM version of the Nokia 3.1 Plus, please let me know how much of space system apps take up and if 32GB is enough for your apps, cause that's the highest available variant.

• Adoptable storage is a bad idea. Here are three reasons why:

1: The SD card will be locked to your own device - you WILL NOT be able to use it on any other phone.

2: At some point you are likely to suffer some kind of failure or error on the card. Where does that leave you? No apps or games.

3:  Why would you want to. Apps run slower on an SD card - why would you want to slow your phone down?!!!

Furthermore, a good number of apps cannot be transferred over to external storage for good reason as above.

After the OS you have 16 GB of internal storage. Seriously, does anyone have 16 gig of apps stored on their phone?!!!

Use your SD card for it's intended purpose - music, videos, photos etc - and just get on with enjoying your phone.
  • No, I said I have just 6GB of storage..... Nokia and android took up 10GB 

I'm just saying....I would have appreciated it if Nokia at least have us the option

But, I should have really gone for the 32GB variant😪
  • Yeah I have Nokia 3 there is also same problems there is no option for format as internal but in every where it is written thst we can use sd card as internal storage versions Oreo I think the problem Is with Oreo operationng system
  • It's not a Nokia issue. Thanks to Google, no Android one phone can use SD card as internal storage, SD cards only with fat32 file system are supported and no miracast. So, ask Google instead or do not use Android one devices
  • Alhob58 Alhob58
     / 
    I was able to get my sd card accepted as internal storage on my Nokia 6.1. Here is what I did:

1) insert card in another device and format it.  I used a Kindle fire hd8

2) remove it and put it in your phone.

3) start phone and it will say you need to format the sd card.  HIT CANCEL

4) after you hit cancel it will give you two options, one of which is internal storage. Select it, then format the card.

5) all done!  (See screenshots)
  • Abou Ilyès Abou Ilyès
    ✭✭  / 
    Alhob58 said:
    I was able to get my sd card accepted as internal storage on my Nokia 6.1. 

(...) 

4) after you hit cancel it will give you two options, one of which is internal storage. Select it, then format the card.

5) all done!  
    Hello Alhab58. 

But you don't have any problem for example taking a photo and trying to open it again ?

You could tell me what is the format of the SD card? Ext3 / Ext4  

Thanks you. 
  • Alhob58 Alhob58
     / 
    Hi Abou, 

I have no problem taking photos and opening them.

The format is whatever the phone defaults to out of the box.  I'm not sure where it displays that info.

See the screenshot for the card I used.
  • Alhob58 Alhob58
     / 
    Update
    Everything appeared ok for a while, but files began to be corrupted after a time so I reformatted the sd card again to external storage.

Bummer
  • Abou Ilyès Abou Ilyès
    ✭✭  / 
    Alhob58 said:
    Update
    Everything appeared ok for a while, but files began to be corrupted after a time so I reformatted the sd card again to external storage.

Bummer
    Oh too bad... I was really hopeful reading your post 🙁
  • Real bummer, bought the larger SD Card and can't make the use of it. Bought it when had Android 8.1 because I read a lot of info that Android 9 would bring the adoptable storage support...
  • If you have a Android one device you cannot use the SD card to put apps on
  • I've just succeeded right now!
    With the phone turned on I unplugged the SD card and formatted it on my Mac in exFat format. Then I immediately inserted it again on the nokia that notified me that the SD needed to be fixed. I clicked the notification it displayed two format options: Expand internal memory and Use as portable memory.
    I choosed the fist and after a quick format (20 secs) the phone asked my if I wanted to transfer my apps.
    Cool!
  • TheYackster TheYackster
    ✭✭  /  edited March 17
    [Deleted]
  • Abou Ilyès Abou Ilyès
    ✭✭  / 
    Ciao Simone. 

But if you try for example to take some pictures, saved on this new one memory expanded, the pictures are not corrupted? 

You can open it? 

Let see allhob58 post previously in this discuss, he had the same hope. 

Thx 

Abou Ilyès. 
  • Ciao Simone. 

But if you try for example to take some pictures, saved on this new one memory expanded, the pictures are not corrupted? 

You can open it? 

Let see allhob58 post previously in this discuss, he had the same hope. 

Thx 

Abou Ilyès. 
    Hi Abou,
    I made 3 pictures after the SD operation and I don't see any corruption. Google Photos synced them correctly and I can open them in Photoshop without problem.
    My best.
  • Abou Ilyès Abou Ilyès
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi Simone. 

And if you plug back your sd card on your mac, the format of the memory is still exfat   ?

Thanks 

• Rdgo Rdgo
     / 
    I had a nokia 3 with two types of SD a slower one and a fast one (A1 UHS-I U1), with both SD i could format as internal storage. Now i recently bought a Nokia 5.1 plus and i cant do format as internal. I dont get why, it suposed to do it, it's a better smartphone than the nokia 3.
  • gaia gaia
     / 
    We most forget this and face the truth; this is a lost cause, the option to get our SD Cards as internal storage won't ever be implemented.