Lens oscillation

In recent months it is becoming far more common for the camera lens OIS mechanism to buzz when I start up the camera.

Lens oscillation

mark coley mark coley
✭✭  / 
In recent months it is becoming far more common for the camera lens OIS mechanism to buzz when I start up the camera. The resulting image is distorted with blurring all over. An audible buzz can be heard if you put your ear to the lens. I have since noticed if you shake the phone gently with the camera off you can hear the lens rattle about, but if the camera is on (with OIS functioning) there is no rattle. I'm just wondering if something has broken inside and this is why I can hear the rattle and this is why occasionally the lens buzzes when power is supplied.

Can anyone with a functioning phone shake it gently to see if a rattle is heard, and if it ceases if the camera is turned on before shaking?

Comments

• marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Mine doesn't rattle at all (yet). I've shaken it while locked, if it matters.
  • mark coley mark coley
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks. I suspect something is broken. If I press the camera icon whilst my ear is to the phone I hear a click as the OIS powers up. Occasionally I get the click and a buzz (and the blurred images). If buzzing then simply waiting or gently rotating the phone through 180 degree sweeps seems to fix it. I think I'll have to return it.
  • Do you use gcam? If yes, does it happen when gcam opened as well?
  • mark coley mark coley
    ✭✭  / 
    It happens with that too randomly. I've also noticed it can happen more if I start the Nokia camera with a double press of the power button. I'm not sure if the vibration buzz makes it fail more often. Tapping the back of the phone sometimes stops it buzzing too. I suspect a feedback gain is too strong and it's hunting. If there was a dampening device that has broken it might explain the rattle I can hear.
  • mark coley mark coley
    ✭✭  / 
    I took my phone back to John Lewis (in the UK) today. The 2-year warranty runs out at the end of October. The OIS buzzing happens every time I start the camera and I have to flip the phone around several times to make it stop. I read reports on here that there were no spares for the Nokia 8 and Nokia 8.1s were being given out instead. However, after I explained the issue to the member of staff, let him hear the buzzing and see the distorted images, he went off around the back and came back a few minutes later and said for this model they'd give me a full refund. So they did. He said there was no provision for repair. Now I have decide which one to get next...
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    John Lewis have been giving out full refunds for months on the Nokia 8, there just isn't any spares for it at all. The Nokia 8.1 is a much better phone than the Nokia 8 to be honest, it feels nicer, the screen is nicer and the camera is sooooooooooooooooooooo much better.

This is a handheld low light shot on full auto taken with the 8.1 that replaced my dead 8.

• Sorry, a Nokia 8 WITHOUT BUGS and with a perfectly/ correctly working camera-Firmware would be a very good Smartphone. BETTER THAN THE NOKIA 8.1..
    But So..... is the 8 (and Nokia generally) HISTORY (for me). 😔
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Sorry, a Nokia 8 WITHOUT BUGS and with a perfectly/ correctly working camera-Firmware would be a very good Smartphone. BETTER THAN THE NOKIA 8.1..
    But So..... is the 8 (and Nokia generally) HISTORY (for me). 😔
    Nope, not a chance and they have had 2 years to try.
  • mark coley mark coley
    ✭✭  / 
    I've ordered a Nokia 8.1 now. My mum has a Nokia 8 (which keeps restarting by itself). I did a factory reset today to see if this stops the reboots or that will go back in the next month. Hers doesn't have the OIS oscillation (yet!) but does have the crackling when starting video recording. As has been reported here, subsequent recordings don't have it if the camera is stopped then restarted. I wonder if there are some capacitors that crackle as they charge up.
  • potemkin_redux potemkin_redux
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I wonder if there are some capacitors that crackle as they charge up.
    Yeah, it's definitely a hardware issue.