Posts on Main Categories

As you know, there are many Categories and Sub-categories on forum. 

Posts on Main Categories

naufrago naufrago
✭✭✭✭  / 
As you know, there are many Categories and Sub-categories on forum. 

Users are allowed to post under main categories as well as sub-categories. I am not sure if it's possible, but I think users should not be allowed to add discussions or questions to main categories.

Let me give an example to be more clear. You can post your query about Nokia 8 directly to Phones section instead of Nokia 8 sub-category.

For a small community it maybe ok, but for a large community like this to follow the posts and categories is becoming very difficult. Furthermore, it is allowing users to post into the wrong threads and making things difficult for moderation.

Comments

• abhishek19.a abhishek19.a
    ✭✭  / 
    is there any way to start a new discussion?
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Click on the big blue "New Discussion" button :smile:

• madbilly said:

Can't see this button where it should be - what's wrong ? I can reply in a discussion but cannot create new one?
  • Me too have the same problem. I don't have new discussion button anywhere.. please someone suggest a way
  • Danielsphone Danielsphone
    ✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:

@madbilly there is no blue button for me. Not in any corner of the site, nor on the mobile version...
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The location of the blue 'New discussion' vary per browser window width and platform. It's often found down the page just above the 'Who's online' avatars in a mobile browser.
    Others have suggested that you may have to be a member and browse the forum for a while, maybe like some postings and comment on existing postings before you are able to start a new subject. Please try again later if you didn't find answers to your questions or suitable threads to comment in.

Back to the topic:
    It's a major shortcoming of this forum that a user is unable to select a subforum when composing a new question or starting a new discussion.
    As a result of this, lots of new postings end up in all possible categories.
    The workaround is to select the proper subforum for the question before hitting the New discussion button - but that's not user friendly or intuitive.

Somebody in charge should hold Vanilla responsible for this and other issues. Especially the editor issues when using the forum from the Support app and in a mobile browser. I mean, it can't be a surprise that a mobile manufacturer's  user forum is going to be used in a mobile browser, right?
    --
    Hans
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @user389 Hans, if you select the New discussion button on the home page you can select the subforum you post in. If you select it whilst within a subforum you are not given the option. I agree that this is a mistake and the selection box should still be shown when starting a new discussion within a subforum - I'll start a new discussion on it ;)