Super-sensitive touch

one of the great things about lumias (before the 950s) is that they can be used with gloves on. is this possible with the hmd phones?

Super-sensitive touch

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭✭  /  edited September 2018

one of the great things about lumias (before the 950s) is that they can be used with gloves on. is this possible with the hmd phones? if not, please add it, it'll make them great for bothie snowsports videos!

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 2018

Super sensitive touch isn't possible on the Nokia 8. What about the Sirocco? It as a completely different screen, so I hope so.

• MobileCR MobileCR
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 2018
    Even the Lumia 520 was advertised to have that nice capability and indeed it was true...this time around HMD needs to advertise those models capable of that, I think it would help increase sales. Just as a curious thing my Nokia tablet N1 is indeed capable of being used with globes
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 

I wonder if the Sirocco can be used with gloves - since it's AMOLED it's more like the Lumias hence might have this feature.

• Manus Manus
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 2018
    We definitely need that.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    In the words of Queen:

Bring it back, bring it back,
    Don't take it away from me
    Because you don't know
    What it means to me.

:smiley:

HMD, at least provide us an option in settings to enable "glove mode": http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/23345_Cold_outside_Enable_Glove_mode.php

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:

I wonder if the Sirocco can be used with gloves - since it's AMOLED it's more like the Lumias hence might have this feature.

I believe it was not the display technology but the touch panel which was responsible for that usage with gloves on. I can still go back to a Lumia with super-sensitive mode enabled, the touchscreen senses the fingers even from a mm of distance without actually touching the screen.
    I would be surprised if it was just a software trick. Seems more like a hardware option, enabled via software.
    Did other OEMs stop offer that as well? I remember there were a few which started advertising glove mode after Nokia's marketing :) I do not hear that anymore these days.
  • Manus Manus
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    madbilly said:

I believe it was not the display technology but the touch panel which was responsible for that usage with gloves on. I can still go back to a Lumia with super-sensitive mode enabled, the touchscreen senses the fingers even from a mm of distance without actually touching the screen.
    I would be surprised if it was just a software trick. Seems more like a hardware option, enabled via software.
    Did other OEMs stop offer that as well? I remember there were a few which started advertising glove mode after Nokia's marketing :) I do not hear that anymore these days.
    (Sigh) I was able to used my old lumia with 3 layers of gloves (2 whole layer and 1 thick latex layer) in the winter.
    Now but Nokia 6 hardly detects my finger.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk you're right it's the touch panel, but in the Lumia days the ClearBlack OLED displays used a particular construction method and I thought that it might be this that allowed super-sensitive touch to be possible on the touch panel.

You're right that it would need hardware support, but it is a software trick that makes it accessible.

I don't know about any other phone that actively promotes its glove mode.

@Perfection I share your frustration.