Nokia 7 Plus USB-C charging port fail in build quality - Page 2

(Quote) 
Hi, charging port on Nokia 7 Plus is loose right out of the box.

Nokia 7 Plus USB-C charging port fail in build quality

Comments

• Totally gutted that this initially excellent Nokia 7+ has this issue 😭
    Was so pleased to have discovered this mobile, but now so disappointed about the charging port...
    Have bought new cable which does seem to be charging, but doesn't click into position like original did. Let's hope it continues to work. 
    Shame there's no wireless charging, that would have been a solution! 
  • Jaat Jaat
     /  edited February 6
    Clean charging pin
    Good working
  • vlaga vlaga
    ✭✭  / 
    Danlfc18 said:
     They wont repair THEIR FAULT because i have a small crack in my screen.
    They need to take of screen and if it has crack probably will brake totally in that process. So that is technical problem with almost every smartphone these days.
  • ACX ACX
     / 
    How to open ticket from support app? We don't have any such thing in Support app in India. In India support is provided by third party
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hmdglobal.support

• user1524206369367 user1524206369367
    ✭✭  /  edited February 6
    Since couple of month i am also facing similar issue with my nokia 7 plus charging. One i put it on charging, i need to look at phone and need to confirm its its charging or not. Because some time it does not charge and i need to take extra care to not to move the phone while its charging. Dont know weather its a charging port issue or my cable needs to be changed.
  • Same issue with my nokia 7 plus only after 2 months purchase
  • Chayan Das Chayan Das
    ✭✭  / 
    Please do the update of Nokia camera application... others device updated their camera to more improvement, like bokeh mode, night mode,a good slow motion mode etc etc.... but unfortunately Nokia doesn't...
  • Hello All,

I, too, use the Nokia 7 plus, and for the past month have been experiencing this same, frustrating problem.

The solution I found (which may be unique to my experience) was to stop using the wall adapter provided by HMD Global out of the box. For a time, it worked well, but in the last month, would connect briefly, and then after 30 or 40 seconds, discontinue charging my device.

I have another device (JBL Bluetooth speaker) which also implements 'quick charge' technology, and I attempted to use its wall adapter with my phone - as an experiment. I was happy to find that the charge was uninterrupted for the entire time that it was plugged in.

So, my takeaway from this, after having experimented with different solutions, is that the wall adapter that was provided to me by HMD Global was faulty, and that there was no issue with the device itself, nor the USB Type-C cable.

It's unfortunate that I must throw out the adapter, but at least I have something else that can do the same job.

If you are experiencing charging issues with your Nokia 7 plus, might I suggest you give my solution an attempt. It might save you a lot of time and trouble.

The faulty Nokia adapter:

The adapter for the JBL Charge 3 which works perfectly with the Nokia 7 plus to charge quickly:
    Peace,
    Johan

• ACX ACX
     / 
    I've written a long post describing issues and to-do steps regarding this problem, but the mods haven't approved it. What is going on here ? :o
  • Heeeelp us. Today we (you may don't know about that they kill there first flagship Nokia 8) tomorrow you... Don't be indifferent!!
    They need to approve my messages), I change account...

Please, it is protest for hmd. Write in this topic
    *HMD, talk with us!*
    Today we (Nokia 8) tomorrow, you...

https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/42471/revolution-protest-for-hmd#latest

HMD, talk with us!

Help me please...
  • Yes. I bought the phone last year in Hong Kong. The USB-C charging port is totally design and quality product. I was get failure for the charging port for just 6 months and then, another problem again after 12 months. I have got no choice to fix it again at the services center. So bad that...(I am in Hong Kong) and the repair services is outsourced to TSO and is well-known poor repair services provider. I queued for 1 hour for to reach their CS officer at the counter and they have promised to fix and get back the next day. In the second day, they suddenly sent me SMS and said that they need 3-4 weeks for spare part. I called to their Services center to get know of the details ,3 times, each waiting for 3 minutes but just get into voice message. No CS pick up phone. I have no choice to walk in to their shop and to wait for 1.5 hours and asked for the phone back. Although I am still in warranty, I just get down and asked the private shop to help to fix for me with charge and they fixed me within 30mins.
    Bad product and bad Repair services at TSO.
  • Here in my location (wb, india) they takes 20-45 days ( as per service center people only) to repair/replacement.

So if a user having 1 phone , no backup phone what will he/she do for this time being ?

Plus another point.
    Nokia is famous for denying to service a phone under warranty by giving excuses of liquid damage.

Plus this phone is in warranty and taking that much time to repair then what will happen after its warranty period over?

We have invested our hard earned money on this product. And trust be i will never go with nokia for my next phone until they are making their after sale service better.

Even brands like mi nowdays takes 3 days to fix motherboard replacement of a phone.if parts not available takes 7-10 days.
  • > @user1533206302423 said:
    > ACX said:
    >
    >
    > Hi Jimmy,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I have the same issue and I've sent the phone to the Hungary's warranty center as per instructed by Nokia support center.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Could you please tell me if the new USB-C charging port you got installed has in any way been redesigned compared to the old one ? Because if it hasn't, in 6 months the problem will be back.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > As I have studied this issue, it seems the port is not capable of holding the cable on a fix grip because of the back cover of the phone. The cover ends 1-2 mm away with a rounded finish and the cable is able to flex making the port loose in time. They should redesign the charge port or the back cover... any other USB-C I have studied has been implemented on a straight/plane surface exactly for this reason: edges must offer support.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I tried to explain the possible design fail by photos:
    >
    > https://ibb.co/X3Pt1dH
    > https://ibb.co/QD3Jmyj
    > https://ibb.co/9vppXLs
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > how about i replace the charging port with the samsung or other brand charging port to the nokia 7 plus?

@ACX is this issue prevalent in Nokia 6.1 Plus , 5.1 Plus & 7.1 ?
    What is the status of Nokia 6.1 (non plus 2018 model) as this also have USB 3.0 is it safe to assume that Nokia 6.1 also has this problem or Nokia 6.1 (USB - type C) is unaffected and only 6.1 Plus is affected.
  • Mikael_Olsson Mikael_Olsson
    ✭✭  / 
    @jimmyireland
    I just wanted to say that I reported my 7 Plus to Nokia Service last Monday, and I got back, repaired and all, the following Friday. It was also sent to Budapest and back during this time. Less than 5 days - that is good service. They didn't fand other problems though, and they took me back to August Android 8.1, but it's now back on Android 9 (Pie).
    Now let's hope I won't have to send it back again with the same problem. And I hope I get a Nokia 7 as a birthday present in March. 😁
  • Having the same problem with the charging port. It has gotten worse over the past month even though i have been extra cautious while charging my phone. This means the quality is just ****. I regret buying this phone so much. Apparently I can get it repaired under warranty but the whole process of formatting the phone, arranging a second phone for a week or two while the port is repaired is too much trouble for me.
    Not going to get fooled again with Nokia.
  • Ellem Ellem
    ✭✭  / 
    I've just joined the club too  :(  It's like playing Russian roulette when connecting the USB cable, every freaking second. On top of it, my computer does not recognize my phone anymore so  I have no way to work with it.
    This is a serious issue. The USB port should not need to be changed after just a few months (less than 5 months in my case). I've seen many other people on the internet complaining about that same issue. Clearly the phone is faulty.
  • Bah, sad to say I joined the faulty port club :( Phone is 6 months old.
  • BLaat BLaat
    ✭✭  / 
    I'm an owner of a 7 plus since April 2018. But since a couple of weeks I experience the same charging problems.
    Yes, the USB C connector is wobbly but I think it's a software issue. Because when I connect the cable to the phone it stops and starts charging several times without touching the cable/connector. And thereafter, suddenly, it is charging without problems, even when I touch the cable/connector. 

• davidhk davidhk
     / 
    > @Rex Yu said:
    > Yes. I bought the phone last year in Hong Kong. The USB-C charging port is totally design and quality product. I was get failure for the charging port for just 6 months and then, another problem again after 12 months. I have got no choice to fix it again at the services center. So bad that...(I am in Hong Kong) and the repair services is outsourced to TSO and is well-known poor repair services provider. I queued for 1 hour for to reach their CS officer at the counter and they have promised to fix and get back the next day. In the second day, they suddenly sent me SMS and said that they need 3-4 weeks for spare part. I called to their Services center to get know of the details ,3 times, each waiting for 3 minutes but just get into voice message. No CS pick up phone. I have no choice to walk in to their shop and to wait for 1.5 hours and asked for the phone back. Although I am still in warranty, I just get down and asked the private shop to help to fix for me with charge and they fixed me within 30mins.
    > Bad product and bad Repair services at TSO.
    >
    >

Hi Rex, i'm also from HK also have the same charging port issue, how much did you paid for the private shop to fix your phone? do you have the address of the private shop? now your phone is fixed, so problem not happening again?
    cheers
    David.
  • This is awful.
    I just sent my phone to be repaired. Obviously within warranty but they said no. I just wanted my phone fixed so just paid the repair cost. Get my phone within a week. Open the box and it has NOT been fixed. I contact the support and they tell me it was not paid for. I give them the details and they apologise.
    Now i am waitiing to be contacted.

This is awful. So many people with the same problems and no acknowledgement of the problem and charging for repairs that are then NOT fixed.

I just want a new phone and to find a good replacement.

So sad as when it was working this was my fave phone I ever owned
  • Look at the views of this thread compared to the others. As of now it "8.5K" views. Most will be from Google.
    People are searching this and this represents the problem.

Just to note, I also had an issue with my earphone port. I would only be able to hear from the right side. Not an earphone issue but the phone as no other devices have this issue with the earphones.
  • I have reached nearest customer care of Nokia but I'm amazed that they are saying they will charge for it!
  • Jonesqalez838 Jonesqalez838
    ✭✭  / 
    As much as I love this phone, this issue is definitely annoying. Not enough to replace my phone, but still annoying. And it's strange that the issue came with the phone, right out of the box. No point to send it to repair as it'll just cost quite an amount of money.
  • Hello All,

I, too, use the Nokia 7 plus, and for the past month have been experiencing this same, frustrating problem.

The solution I found (which may be unique to my experience) was to stop using the wall adapter provided by HMD Global out of the box. For a time, it worked well, but in the last month, would connect briefly, and then after 30 or 40 seconds, discontinue charging my device.

I have another device (JBL Bluetooth speaker) which also implements 'quick charge' technology, and I attempted to use its wall adapter with my phone - as an experiment. I was happy to find that the charge was uninterrupted for the entire time that it was plugged in.

So, my takeaway from this, after having experimented with different solutions, is that the wall adapter that was provided to me by HMD Global was faulty, and that there was no issue with the device itself, nor the USB Type-C cable.

It's unfortunate that I must throw out the adapter, but at least I have something else that can do the same job.

If you are experiencing charging issues with your Nokia 7 plus, might I suggest you give my solution an attempt. It might save you a lot of time and trouble.

The faulty Nokia adapter:

The adapter for the JBL Charge 3 which works perfectly with the Nokia 7 plus to charge quickly:
    Peace,
    Johan

• Niek Idema Niek Idema
     /  edited February 26
    Same problem here, chatting with Nokia support didn't help. They won't say anything about the problem
  • Same issue, phone bought June 2018.  Cannot have it sent away for weeks.
    Purchased at Argos, they say they would do whatever Nokia suggest, so same response.
    Argos will not offer a replacement due to 'GDPR'.  

I will be buying a new phone and making a claim against Argos and Nokia for the value of the 7plus.