As reported on various news websites HMD Global bought the intellectual property around the Nokia Camera UI off of Microsoft.
We need a pro mode in the camera app and the UI of the old Nokia Camera won design awards and was widely praised across the industry for user control and ease of use.
Could it be similarly implemented on new Nokia Phones?
A few stand out features include:
nokia camera UI in the past is a must now with nokia 8. Nokia UI could suit perfectly well Nokia 8 powerful camera hardware. The nokia 8 interface seems like a draft or prototype, not suited to please the user of nokia 8 zeiss users
I really hope it can be done as the OP suggests, the Lumia Camera app has a great UI.
Bringing back the UI isn't hard at all. But I think they need to rebuild the entire post-processing.
Image quality on HMD phones - including the Nokia 8 - is pretty terrible. Having manual mode etc helps but it also needs good software.
Just look at how much better pictures taken on a Nokia 5, for example, are when using the Google Camera HDR+ app port compared with HMD's custom camera. It's embarrassing for something with the Nokia-brand attached to it. It needed to be addressed yesterday.
I agree with the original post. While the quality of the images that are created surpasses most other cameras, the camera app itself is surprisingly poorly designed, especially coming from Nokia with the cooperation of Zeiss Optics. Here are some things that I have found to be troublesome with the Camera app:
- focusing is slow and tends to move around despite manually moved by the user (i.e. me)
- I'm still confused as to what the black spot on the camera module is - is it a laser or IR module?
- the option to switch from main to front camera is too fiddly; Google's implementation on its own Camera app where it puts it close to where the thumb usually is, is better in my opinion.
- taking a picture is unacceptably slow in the current smartphone imaging field; I find that it's OK to take images of landscape views but I fear when having to take pics with people or moving objects as it tends to be slow and produce blurred images.
- Switching between colour/mono cameras is also cumbersome and takes a split second longer.
Despite having upgraded to Android Oreo, the camera app isn't faring any better. Despite using SD835 which is a very capable top-end processor, the camera app is unacceptably slow. I hope there are camera app improvements on the way to improve this stellar smartphone by Nokia.
HMD has finally added Nokia Pro camera UI to nokia android phones (only those with Zeiss optics) which is promising, however they should not forget that in the past Pro camera UI was even available in low cost lumia phones without zeiss optics...so it would be great if HMD manages to incorporate pro mode for devices without zeiss optics like nokia 5 and nokia 3, it certainly would improve camera performance too.
Is the new software available now? For some reason I don't have it on my camera.
I agree about making the software available for all new Nokias, not just the ZEISS ones.