The community forum

Join the conversation

Nokia 9

Many sources have said a successor of nokia 8 is in the works, the device is to be released not too late and apparently is going to be called nokia 9 with high end specs similar to the galaxy note 8.  I want to share the importance of using AMOLED screens as nokia older high end phones, metal body, almost bezel less bodies, to make the phone's surface almost the entire screen. Years ago at the time Microsoft adquiered Nokia's devices business, the Finnish where working in a prototype called Nokia N950 which in my opinion should be used to inspired the upcoming nokia 9, its design was so beautiful, truly nokia design, in fact it was handed over to developers around the globe for testing with Meego OS, this time around it would be ahead of any manufacturer due to the android approach HMD has set.  HMD can take a look at the archives.  Maybe physical keys are now unnecessary but keeping the Nokia N950 main shape but updated with the times could make it a truly design award winning, perhaps slim it down more just a bit more.

3 people like this idea

I don't know what great things are in the pipeline with HMD products but many of the guys are ex-Nokians so the DNA is there!

1 person likes this
Can't wait for further products as Nokia were always fantastic with phones

1 person likes this
Who cares about iPhones or samsung, if Nokia get it right and listen to the consumer then they are onto a winner I don't know anyone who doesn't like nokia. I'm using the Nokia 6 it's brilliant but can't wait for the next higher spec nokia

1 person likes this

A truly flagship from Nokia should come with FM Radio, USB type C connector, AMOLED...OLED screen, Dual SIM 4G LTE, DDR4 Memory for RAM and  NAND technology for internal storage memory, perhpas Micro SD card slot not hybrid shared with Nano SIMs, aluminum body, ZEISS optics, wireless charging, at least 3500 mAh battery, fast charging, latest Qualcomm CPU (perhaps the Snapdragon 845 successor of the current 835 cpu), perhaps 20 Megapixels sensors similar to the one found in nokia lumia 930 and the all powerful lumia 1020, of cours the pureview 808..nokia N8 etc. and please BUT pleased bezel less design...see Nokia N9..Nokia N950...imagine a Lumia 930 but running Android....it would be awesome...HMD can base the truly all powerful upcoming flagship (as leaks suggests Nokia 9) in those legendary devices

3 people like this

" aluminum body, ZEISS optics, wireless charging"

You can't have an aluminium body and wireless charging. So it needs to have a glass/ceramic back (wood would also be cool).

Based on the 930 the things needing updating would be:

- glass back instead of polycarbonate

- microSD expansion

- less bezels

- updated internals obviously (4/6GB RAM, SD 835 or 845 depending on when released, fast charging enabled etc).

In fact, since HMD already recycled the design of the Nokia 5 for the Nokia 8, I don't see any problem with actually recycling older Lumia designs. In fact, lots of people loved those designs far more than what the competition offered.

I could see a trio of high end devices in 3 sizes (like Sony did with the Z5 line - Compact, normal, Premium and Apple does with the SE, 8 and 8 Plus), based on old Lumias:

- Compact version: based a mix of the Nokia N9 and Lumia 920 design (without bezels it would be a stunning device for those who hate large phones)

- "Normal" sized version: based on the Lumia 930 design

- Phablet: based on the Lumia 1520.

And to be honest, releasing 3 sized flagships would most likely be a better financial decision than three low end devices. The profit margins on flagships would be higher and the money loss would be smaller (low cost devices are money losers for any OEM. Nokia learned that the hard way, HMD apparently didn't)

1 person likes this
Sure... aluminum body does not allow wireless charging in an easy way...it is just an idea...perhaps HMD could manage to incorporate wireless charging in an aluminum body if they perhaps come out with something similar to the rounded plastic cover used in the Lumia 1020 ( most of the internal camera components were protected by the black rounded plastic cover makings the lens more prominent and eye catching) then it could be used in a similar way to enable wireless charging capabilities in a body made of aluminium...however it is also true that by doing that the wireless area would be reduced...less practical...limited to the rounded area which would also be reduced by design constraints etc etc... Glass cover would be more suitable but without the premium feel the aluminum offers...kind of complicated...depends on personal choice..HMD then has to get a balance and take a holistic choice... Yeah...Nokia 9 design was top notch...if updated as you said above...it would also be a hit no doubt about it.I also share the same idea...why not...to recycle older Lumia designs and updated them a little bit in the aesthetics department and Incorporate newer hardware and components for use with Android....? That is also true...many people in my country liked Nokia Lumia 930 very much better than iPhone 6 etc..but then they said if the 930 had Android they would buy it without a doubt....perhaps HMD stills has to pay something to Microsoft for design rights... perhaps that is the reason they have not used older designs which were better than more of the currently available in their catalog...

"Glass cover would be more suitable but without the premium feel the aluminum offers..."

Actually I think - and so does most people actually - that glass is far more premium than aluminium. In fact, full body aluminium phones are now the mark of a budget phone. So while fine for the Nokia 3, 5 and 6, unacceptable for the Nokia 8 which HMD claims is a "flagship". Now YOU might prefer aluminium phones, that's perfectly fine of course. I personally really dislike them.

I'd like to see them toy around with wood backs. It would not only set them apart from the competition, it would allow for wireless charging AND do away with the problem of fragility. A phone with titanium sides and a mahogany back? I'd be all over that!

(Of course, this would probably need to be reserved for the real flagship. The premium one. Using wood would be significantly more expensive than Gorilla Glass or aluminium).

"they said if the 930 had Android they would buy it without a doubt"

I heard the same about the 920 and 1020 (I didn't use the 930 long enough before I jumped the sinking WP ship).

"perhaps HMD stills has to pay something to Microsoft for design rights..."

I'm not sure exactly what was the scope of the design copyrights transferred from Nokia to Microsoft, but I don't think Nokia transferred the designs of existing Lumia devices, only the portfolios of unreleased designs. Which would mean, if that's the case, that the design copyrights of the N9, 920, 1020 etc all remained at Nokia. In which case, since Nokia is part of the HMD Board of Directors, would mean it would be far easier to obtain those designs through a license transfer.

1 person likes this
Well said ;) let's see and hope HMD and Nokia teams take all this ideas and come out with something great. They still have the chance to be in the spotlight once again
Actually is not true that is not possible to charge in wireless mode a metal case phone. It's not working with Qi standard, but Qualcomm demonstrate 2 years ago that there is a way and even with very good results. Look WiPower and Rezence standard if u want to learn more about this. The real point is there is a sense to go with a different standard especially now that Apple has "invented" wireless charging.. if not, then the only ways are glass or polycarbonate

3 people like this

sure, that's why I said it was an idea...metal bodies look high end but have limitations....glass bodies are better for Qi but they are a matter of personal choice, they look good too.  Sadly Apple is trying to look as if they were the first to incorporate Qi...they also introduce a kind of Qi charger for apple watch, iPhone 8, and wireless EarPods....and advertised that charger as if it were so innovating...just to see how advanced nokia was...nokia had already released Qi chargers in those lumia days very similar in shape and capabilities...as now apple is trying to..

Hope nokia and HMD can deliver a truly competitor to iPhone X and Galaxy Note 8

Even IKEA has recently made fun of Apple and his "new" feature.. due they have even fornitures and lamps with wireless charger plate back to 2012 or something..

1 person likes this

hehehe...this is proof how Nokia is all about innovation...Apple is all about advertising.  Many apple fans will argue...but Nokia has been many times..if not always years ahead of the Cupertino based company :)

"Actually is not true that is not possible to charge in wireless mode a metal case phone. It's not working with Qi standard, but Qualcomm demonstrate 2 years ago that there is a way and even with very good results. Look WiPower and Rezence standard if u want to learn more about this. The real point is there is a sense to go with a different standard especially now that Apple has "invented" wireless charging.. if not, then the only ways are glass or polycarbonate"

Qualcomm did put forward some white papers on that HOWEVER it never materialised into real products.

And with Apple's adoption of Qi, the battle for the wireless charging standard is done. Qi had already won against PMA. If what Qualcomm showed could actually be achieved in consumer products without drawbacks, Apple would have purchased the technology and made it proprietary. They didn't which means they really didn't manage to get or create a better standard than Qi.

At any rate...we don't have to be limited to glass or polycarbonate. LG had on the G4 leather backs for example. Companies just need to be creative.

Only metal interferes with wireless charging. Nothing else does. So why not be creative?

As far as I know, Qualcomm offer WiPower as a usable feature so I doubt they could do that after a merely few white papers, anyway that wasn't the point of my post, and wasn't the point to change from QI standard to something else either. I only wanted to stress that it's not true that is impossible to charge wireless a metal case phone . That's all. As for the back material I shouldn't walk on too strange ways, we've to think that we and HMD Nokia aren't anymore at that good old times when they had the capability and the name to make incredibily strange phones as shapes and materials. Now Nokia need to come back with strong devices, good looking and of course with deep roots in the past. A lot of younger colleagues doesn't know anything about the old Nokia, some of them not even heard talk about Nokia.. The edge between to be creative and to be mad (and/or kitch) it's too thin especially nowadays in this phone market. What they could do is to experiment with form factors, material and so on in a special product line dedicated for that so something not intended for mass market but something like capability and technological display. I don't think that a monocoque carbon fiber body (only to name a possible material) would be good for mass market. And conquer the mass market is what HMD Nokia would to do (I guess). Only my opinion, nothing else.

4 people like this
Login to post a comment