The community forum

Join the conversation

Wireless charging and AMOLED displays.

i can't believe i have to write this here but so be it:

- in september 2012 nokia introduced the first smartphone with built-in qi wireless charging (yes, there was the palm pree from 2009 but it required a case). soon after other oems followed suit.

- in 2013 nokia added amoled displays to their headsets.

- in september 2017 (5 years later) apple finally adds wireless charging and oled displays to their iphone. qi wireless charging, the same standard nokia pioneered in 2012.

- all nokia flagships came with wireless charging and oled displays until the demise of the d&s division in 2014.

- hmd has not produced a single device with wireless charging because of the insistence on using aluminium unibody designs. nor with amoled displays.

whilst aluminium unibodies and lcd's might be good and acceptable on low end devices, flagships (or "so-called flagships" like the nokia 8) aren't acceptable with unibody aluminium designs (and therefore without wireless charging) nor inferior display technologies like lcd.

the fact that in 2017 i have to write to hmd to tell them they should create flagships with features nokia pioneered 5 years ago or had long adopted is deeply disheartening. one thing was to not catch on from the get go with things like bezel-less designs and push out phones with gigantic bezels. not good in 2017 but still forgivable.

another is to push out phones without wireless charging and amoled displays.

i really hope we see a fast correction of trajectory when it comes to future products and specially real flagships.

4 people like this idea

Community Hero

I agree with the general point - that Nokias now should include at least the same functionality as earlier Nokia models. In fact AMOLED screens were added even earlier - my 2010 N8 has an AMOLED screen.

Personally, I'm not that bothered about wireless charging because I've not seen it being offered in public places and if I have to carry my own then a normal charger is smaller.

But for AMOLED vs LCD screens what matters to me is the overall experience - display quality, battery life, and what kind of features the display permits. For example the glance screen really needs an AMOLED display to be used at its best - my 2010 still has a better glance screen than HMD phones. For me I think that AMOLED works best, but for others IPS might be better.

1 person likes this

"Personally, I'm not that bothered about wireless charging because I've not seen it being offered in public places and if I have to carry my own then a normal charger is smaller."

That's the thing. Nokia pioneered Qi charging on phones. And on Android, flagships have had it since. But now that Apple adopted it on their new iPhones - and they adopted Qi as well which is pretty relevant - you WILL start to see wireless chargers showing up everywhere because Apple "made it fashionable".

So the absence of such a feature on a Nokia-branded phone will be noticed, specially when Nokia pioneered the thing.

Some people - a very very small group - prefer LCDs because they have a bunch of misconceptions about AMOLED displays. I personally can't find a single good reason why an LCD display is better than an AMOLED one (apart from it being cheaper for the OEM to put on a phone but I, as a consumer, have nothing to do with it as my phone doesn't get cheaper because of it anyway).

1 person likes this

Community Hero

Re wireless charging:

I agree that all online magazine reviewers will miss it, because it's one less tick on the checksheet for their mundane identikit reviews.

The public might miss it, but rather than compromise other aspects of the phone to fit wireless charging in, why not wait and see if it really becomes a must have feature.

Having said that, you could use the same argument against some of my suggestions, so to be honest I don't really have a good argument against wireless charging, I just don't see a very strong argument to include it either.

"he public might miss it, but rather than compromise other aspects of the phone to fit wireless charging in, why not wait and see if it really becomes a must have feature.

Having said that, you could use the same argument against some of my suggestions, so to be honest I don't really have a good argument against wireless charging, I just don't see a very strong argument to include it either."

I can see three good arguments for it:

1 - It was pioneered on smartphones by Nokia and was a feature of all Nokia flagships. If they're going to want to attract Nokia-fans, they can't present them with a phone that does less than what their last flagship did. Brand loyalty doesn't go that far, SPECIALLY when the company in question isn't actually Nokia itself. Nokia fans are pretty aware of that which is why the room for "mistakes" is much less than it would be if Nokia had done the phones themselves.

2 - All major flagships have it. Even the always-late iPhone. It is definitely a must have feature. Just look at what happened to the LG G6. LG decided that Europeans didn't want wireless charging on the G6. So what did they do? They offered it only in the US. Result? Sales of the LG G6 were miserable in Europe compared to the US (something that didn't happen on the G4 or G5 for example). The only difference in the phones was the absence of wireless charging. I think it is therefore possible to establish a likely nexus of causality and argue that the absence of wireless charging severely hindered sales of the G6 (because, again, the people interested in the G6 actually know what LG is doing and are aware of the market. People got angry and didn't buy the phone. And then they told their friends to not buy the phone etc etc).

3 - As much as I hate to say this, the moment Apple adds something to their phones, it becomes a standard. It's easy to resist when they remove things (like the stupid decision of taking out the headphone jack) but when they put in something that is not proprietary, consumers will expect to see it everywhere. Just look at fingerprint scanners for example.

If HMD doesn't put it in - specially when Nokia pioneered it - it will immediately grab bad press. It doesn't matter if the iPhone 8 comes in the box split apart and the HMD phones don't. For the press, they'll see that Apple did something and HMD failed to deliver on something Nokia phones used to have. That's bad PR.

1 person likes this

Community Hero

Good arguments, especially the "Nokia pioneered this" one - I'm sold!

1 person likes this

I'm having a OnePlus X with AMOLED Screen and waiting for NOKIA Mobile with AMOLED to buy one. 

Sadly, I might have to buy another OnePlus Phone or Samsung if NOKIA does not launch an AMOLED Phone.

1 person likes this
Las pantallas amoled son mejor por qué no las puso en todos estos nuevos Nokia rayos y la carga inalámbrica donde está?
Login to post a comment