The community forum

Join the conversation

Missing FM Radio

Hi, Nokia 3, 5, 6 has FM Radio . Then why is it excluded from Nokia 8. I know the Snapdragon chipset used by Nokia 8 supports that. Then why is it not exposed. It's a very essential thing. Which is very useful in case of emergencies and time when data, mobile, cellular network cease to work. Please bring FM radio in Nokia 8. Thank you, Abhinav.

31 people have this question

I doubt it, it has always been there and most people see the evenwell files as bloat because they aren't Android files and either disable or remove them to improve battery life.

Hi there.

First of all thanks to all of you who have exposed this enormous failure. For me it's really a serious fault!

I was going to buy this device today, but as I like to read and re-read the specs, I got to this thread.

Nokia, no thanks! Just and only because you did not have fm radio with rds!

You are the ones who lose!

I hope more people do the same.

Maybe then listen consumers.

There are countries where you have to pay for owning a TV and radio. In Germany for example, devices used professionally (by a company) are billed extra. Also FM is being discontinued in the first countries in Europe - so having a FM radio is either of no interest or even a counter-feature to some markets.

Don't you choose your phones by reading tests and spec sheets? For me it was no surprise that there is no FM radio. In my situation, this is not an issue because I never have the desire to listen to radio with my phone.

1 person likes this

There are countries where you have to pay for owning a TV and radio. In Germany for example, devices used professionally (by a company) are billed extra. Also FM is being discontinued in the first countries in Europe - so having a FM radio is either of no interest or even a counter-feature to some markets.

Don't you choose your phones by reading tests and spec sheets? For me it was no surprise that there is no FM radio. In my situation, this is not an issue because I never have the desire to listen to radio with my phone.

@SuAlfons Nobody blames HMD that they promised fm and didn't give it. What we say is that there is no obvious reason removing the FM radio from the flagships. LG V40 which was just announced does have fm radio. So does the Galaxy series in US So does the flagship killer Pocophone F1. HMD could differentiate from other vendors....there is no cost at all adding FM radio as it is available in all snapdragon chipsets. They haven't even added it on series 7....saying that you personally do not need it does not mean that other people do not need it. I also do not never use selfie camera, should we remove it??? Or should we start a petition to force LG remove it from all it's flagships??? HMD, ruined by former Nokia Mobile people, should have heard this topic and do something for this at least in their newer models....new 7 also lacks FM radio...

2 people like this

Community Hero

The new 7.1 has FM radio! https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/support/nokia-7-1-user-guide/fm-radio

I hope this means that HMD have listened and we will see it on all new models.

1 person likes this

My point was not that *I* do not happen to miss FM radio. My points were: 1.) FM radio is not very much in demand in European markets (--> which buy more expensive models) 2.) FM radio is a cost factor in terms of enabling it on a business phone (in Germany at least) and the most important one: Was FM radio promised by Nokia on the Nokia 8? I don't think so. Then why did you buy it if it lacks a feature important to you?

I for instance always check if a phone has NFC. And I learnt a hard lesson that Huawei and Honor phones are not 100% Android Auto compatible and even are not 100% compatible with MP3 playback on my car stereo regardless of how I connect it (chooses wrong audio codec 33% of the time). And with Nokia I learnt that they have great camera hardware and abysmal camera apps.

1 person likes this

Community Hero

I think we keep forgetting that this thread is in the Nokia 8 section - it's clear that it's too late for the Nokia 8, HMD have said FM radio can't be enabled. You're right, we shouldn't buy something without checking the specs first, but many people do this (even you have in the past, as you told us).

I don't think inclusion of FM radio reception is a cost factor in all European countries, it's interesting that it's the case in Germany.

I've said before that just because something's not in "high" demand for a specific cost bracket doesn't mean that it should not be included. Imagine if the next version of the Mercedes S-class didn't have a radio at all, because now "everyone" uses music streaming and internet radio services...

1 person likes this

I agree that this discussion in the NOKIA 8 thread, that has been clarified that FM cannot be supported with a SW update, is not driving anywhere. BUT if the user guide for the 7.1 device is indeed correct then maybe this thread has affected HMD decisions as in last year announced 7+ (the 1st 7 series came out) we didn't have FM radio. But now the 7.1 does have (I will wait for GSMarena review to confirm). Let's hope that the today's announcement, probably for 7.1+, will confirm the HMD change of mind.

1 person likes this

Community Hero

Yes, fingers crossed for the 7.1+ too.

Login to post a comment