The community forum

Join the conversation

The screen stays black after pressing the power button, but the phone is working

Hello everyone!

After updating to android 7.1 I encountered a strange bug in my Nokia 3: occasionally the phone won't wake up when pressing the power button, the screen stays black no matter what. However, the phone is working, you can call it, etc. After being left alone for some time it can start working normally, then, after a while - stop responding again, and so on.

The problem appears to be in the automatic screen brightness adjustment function. In all cases, the screen stopped (or started) working only after the phone had been kept in darkness for some time (in a jeans pocket, or simply on a table at night). I switched off the automatic brightness adjustment, and now the problem is gone (haven't seen it for 3 days now).

I hope this information will help if anyone encounters this problem.

PS It was not particularly easy to track down this bug, I even took the phone to the shop where I bought it for repair. They replaced something in the phone, took them 3 weeks to do that, but the same day they gave it back to me - the screen went black again. Imagine my frustration!

Best regards,

Alexander

14 people have this question

I could say I also got the same problem but what I did was I switch off the intelligent intelligent power saving standby. This reduces that frequency I experience this issue I'll try this method if this TEMPORARY fix solves it completely. I'm glad that this was not related to hardware. Thus as soon as we get 7.1.2 or 8.0 this might already been fixed.

3 people like this
Same trouble , but not working that way. Phone freezes at least twice a day. Restart and work what I am doing. Nokia should see at the bug.
Edit: after turning off the auto brightness the phone screen still freezes when locked so I can't unlock the phone . The current workaround still turning off the saving mode.
Indeed, I have not had this black screen issue for like 4 days, but today it happened twice, despite auto brightness being off. There is something else that triggers this behavior. Gonna try that power saving standby variant, and do some more testing.

I did a bit more testing and that's what I've found:

1) auto brightness has nothing to do with the black screen bug, apparently it was just a coincidence.

2) switching off intelligent power saving standby does not seem to be a solution either. I updated to the last update where this power saving option is no longer available, but the problem persists.

3) the bug seems to be somehow connected with the camera usage. I intentionally did some testing of it. When I reboot after the screen freeze, the phone can work normally for days without freezing (I did not wait more than 3 days though). However, if I take a shot, the screen freezes. It does not however freeze immediately, it can freeze 20 minutes after taking the shot, or a several hours later. In another thread ( Display doesn't turn on) user1506691753230 also reports having this black creen issue after taking a picture. I have not yet figured out what directly triggeres this bug, but I'm going to test a bit more.

Do you guys also experience this bug only after using the camera?

7 people like this
Yes this is very disappointing though even though this device is entry level they need to release a stable build for nokia 3 I am very annoyed with this bug because I my phone screen just went blank so I will miss new notifications and calls during that time the issue was triggered.

4 people like this

i have nokia 5 and i am facing this software problem,blank screen with sentence nokia flash problem i havent even downliaded a single malicious file,new device just one week over

Same problem here I will agree with Alexander , the camera is the problem. When I use the camera after 1 or 2 hours the phone freeze. And that problem appeard after the update to 7.1.1
After using my device for some time I could agree with Alexander that it might be due to the camera because I hadn't use the camera or even open the camera app during these past days and guess what I didn't get any black screen. Lets just wait for 7.1.2 this month if they found anyway to resolve this.

Hi, I too have the same issue on my Nokia 3 Phone, i suspected "press power button twice for camera " and disabled that option, will update if problem persists 

Hi Alexander - are you referring to "Adaptive Brightness" in Display menu ?

Hi user1510228509566!

Yes, but it is not the source of the bug, as we figured out. Turning it off does not work. 

When I had no black screens for several days after turning it off (as I report in the top post) - it must have been a coincidence. I probably simply did not use the camera then.

I have exactly the same problem. It is super annoying that the screen goes black in middle of video and you have to start searching the part you left off all over again. Problem has started only few days ago. Android 7.12. I have not been able to find any root cause for this issue. Nokia 5.

I think this is software issue. Nokia, please fix this as soon as possible!

1 person likes this

Hi Apooo!

On my Nokia 3 I have never seen this bug while the phone is in use - only when it is left alone for some time.

3 people like this
Login to post a comment