The community forum

Join the conversation

Camera issues

Iam using nokia8 since last 2weeks I found some camera issues is that the optical image stabilization (OIS) not working well while recording the video in 4k.photos looking dark in low light with both front and back camera and photos are soft not sharp.autofocusing is not faster as it has laser autofocusing and when it comes closer objects not that great I hope these issues will get fixed in next update

5 people have this question

Iam using nokia8 since last 2weeks I found some camera issues is that the optical image stabilization (OIS) not working well while recording the video in 4k.photos looking dark in low light with both front and back camera and photos are soft not sharp.autofocusing is not faster as it has laser autofocusing and when it comes closer objects not that great I hope these issues will get fixed in next update
Can I suggest you take some photos in 4:3 and 16:9 settings with the camera fixed, eg in tripod or something, then compare the field of view with the pixel count in the final image. I am beginning the think the sensor resolution is not actually hard linked to the final image resolution. I can conceive of a driver issue whereby the final jpg creation code has lost track of what it was actually supplied with. I have posted an example but it is awaiting moderation I think.
If 4:3 images come out at 4160x3120 then assuming the sensor is rectangular and the lens throws a circle of image on it, I reckon a final output image in 16:9 should be 4532x2549. Both images should have the same number of diagonal pixels, roughly 2600 in pixel units. This would require a sensor that is 4532x3120 pixels. The fact 16:9 images have a greater field of view left and right makes me think this might be what is going on, but that would suggest a 14 megapixel camera. It's advertised as a 13 megapixel one. So if it is a 4x3 sensor why aren't 16:9 images exactly the same width as 4:3 images at 4160 pixels, obviously letterboxed to 16:9?

The example photograph here shows 4 strips from 4 separate photos. The top two strips were 4:3 settings, one from the inbuilt camera and one from Open Camera. The next two (right aligned) are 16:9 versions, again, from top to bottom, from the inbuilt app and Open Camera.

The field of view is wider slightly in the Open Camera app (note how the bench is further in on the right and the bushes on the far left can be seen more) and the field of view in 16:9 mode is also wider than in 4:3, but with a substantially smaller pixel count.

Information and clarity seems to be being lost needlessly.

Login to post a comment