The community forum

Join the conversation

Glance screen stays on while phone is charging

As the title says, but I've noticed this only recently after updating to Oreo Beta. The Glance screen timeout is set to 1 minute and works as expected when the phone is not being charged and is not moved. I tested this with the phone in my charger dock with power turned off. As soon as I turn the charger power on and the phone goes into charging mode the Glance screen will stay on forever (not good for screen burn-in effect). I am fairly sure this used to work on Nougat 7.1.1. Anyone else who can replicate this behaviour with Oreo Beta installed? Note: I am aware that there is a setting available where certain Glance screen notifications can be toggled on/off and where the entire Glance screen function can be disabled, but that is not what I am talking about.

3 people have this question

Yes I agree with this. The glance screen should be turned off whilst charging and assume normal glance screen operational characteristics. I have noticed that it is also brighter than the normal bright screen.

1 person likes this
I didn't notice a brighter screen, but yes, switching off the screen after the specified time would be nice.

1 person likes this
Thanks for confirming my observation. I wonder whether this is a new 'feature' that has crept in with the Oreo beta update or whether this behaviour was already there in Nougat 7.1.1 and we just didn't notice it then? I did think it was different with Nougat but can't be sure. Anyone with the original firmware who can shed more light on this?
This issue is also present in 7.1.1. Not sure if it is a bug or a "feature"
Oh, so it was already like this in Nougat 7.1.1, then I would consider this to be a bug! Burning in the screen can't be a 'feature'. Hello Anna from Nokia, could you comment on this please?

Always on Glance while charging is a feature of both 7.1.1 and 8.0. And also i noticed that Glance became brighter on 8.0. I advise to add some features:

1) Keep Glance always on while charching (off/on)

2) Adjust brightness ( normal(7.1.1) / bright(8.0) )

Burn-in effect on IPS is negligible against AMOLED/OLED

Now on 8.0 the brightness is too high. Its annoying.

4 people like this
Ah, in general yes, the screen got brighter. That's a good thing though for me since glance now makes sense over the day. Makes it easier to read without having to lift the phone and find a readable angle... Apart from the time there's nothing to read since all my messengers won't show up... Only at night I would like it to switch off normally, because, well, it's night. I want it dark.
That's strange because my glance screen does time out and turn off while charging. To get it to come back on again I have to pick the phone up and move it around. It then goes back off again after around 20 - 30 seconds. Mine is an unlocked model for the UK market if that makes any difference and I'm on the Oreo Beta.

Anyhow, just as soon as the Glance Screen is shown on your phone, just press the Display (On/Off) key once and it stays off.

Nope, it doesn't. Switches on and to the normal lock screen.

It seems the glance screen stays on in Nougat too. Please send your feedback about this (and the brightness levels) via the Feedback App, so it gets properly recorded and processed. We very much appreciate your valuable input!

Have a great day!
Anna (Moderator)

Login to post a comment