The community forum

Join the conversation

Nokia 8 Microphone problem PLEASE HELP !

Hello,

I got a issue with Nokia 8 what I believe is microphone issue. Its randomly happening whenever I pick up a phone call or I call somebody. They either cant hear me or they hear me really poorly and a strange loud noise is coming from my side.

What I observed so far:

- it is happening randomly (for ex. I called with my sister an hour ago and she said she cant hear me properly and there is a loud noise, when I called her back it repeated but when I called hear after 15 minutes our phone call was crystal clear)

- it looks like its not affecting videos, when I try camera it captures sound nicely

- it affects sound messages however (Messenger/Viber/Whatsapp) all are dead during these "anomalies" so they are working randomly too.

- I downloaded numerous microphone testing apps and they are always working (really strange)

- it is not a signal problem

So from what I observed it should be software issue rather than hardware issue (hopefully) and the problem is switching on and off randomly. Didnt saw anyone reporting this, found one guy on other forum reporting the same issue so I will link it here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-8/help/help-mic-t3693329

Any help is appreciated and hopefully this will be removed in future updates. 

21 people have this question

Same problem here!

1 person likes this
I've got the same problem, and it just started affecting my video recordings to. I hope they'll give us an answer on what to do, 'cause the phone is pretty useless without the ability to make calls!
Signed up just to say I have the same problem.... Nokia if you're reading this, please investigate!

1 person likes this

Hi all! Thanks for the valuable feedback. We always forward it to the relevant teams, but to make sure we have as much information as possible, we also kindly recommend being in touch with customer support. They will be able to record all the relevant details and try to provide some initial troubleshooting steps.  

Wishing you a wonderful day and a swift solution!

Anna 

1 person likes this

Anna:

If I contact customer support they will just tell me to use the warranty, I doubt they will be able to record "all the relevant details" as you stated above.

My wife has the same problem on her Nokia 8 (128 GB) and I don't have it on mine (64 GB). The noise only occurs in phone calls not in video recordings so it should be a software issue I guess as was pointed out before.

Will also check her phone with a microphone testing app soon.

Same here, its gone when I use the speaker. Looks like interference between the 3 mic's. Is it possible to disable a mic?

It is most probably hardware issue afterall. I got more fresh info since I posted this topic.

It is also problem while recording video through camera app. You can hear some "noise" when you record something and max out the volume, if not you dont have the same problem.

When I installed 3rd party camera app, the sound was horrible, interupting everywhere. The original one works probably because it just uses mono sound and the second one is deaf or something I dont know.

Problem is I won my phone in competition and yes it should have WARRANTY (thats what the app says) but I dont have any proof of buying so I am kinda afraid to send it back in Britain when I am from Europe without any proof of payment.

It really looks more like a hardware issue now. After recording sound with the Sony Audio Recorder app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonymobile.androidapp.audiorecorder&hl=de) even with no sound (not speaking etc.) you can clearly see the bottom bar at 80-90% load and the top one being at 0%.

Looks like one of the microphones has a hardware issue.

After using the Nokia support chat on the phone and explaining the problem the suggestion was to use the Nokia repair center to send it in.

I now returned my phone to the vendor as defective to get my money back and order a new one.

However, as this is a core functionality of a phone I thought it would have been tested before leaving the factory. Also, I've seen and read about some pixel/display problems some users are experiencing - also something that should've been visible at the end check in the factory.

I think this is more or less a QA problem @Nokia / HMD Global. Not Nokia quality, but it's also not a Nokia factory anymore...

I too have the same problem. The other person is not able to listen to me. This happen randomly. I was thinking this is a problem with network. Should I return the phone

I'm having the same issue on my Nokia 3, it has happened twice since I bought the device 1 month ago.

It is not a network problem. I have disabled 'Suppress background noise' setting to try out if this issue goes away (I will keep you posted), but a workaround is never the perfect solution.

@Anna, I can take it to my provider's customer support, but I already know they will tell me to leave there my device for weeks and they'll just update the software (although it is up to date) and that's not I bought my phone for.

1 person likes this

The same problem here.

Login to post a comment