The community forum

Join the conversation

Answered

Fast charge not working?

I own a Nokia 8 for 4 days now, really like the nice clean look and specs of the phone!

One thing though, fast charge doesn't seem to work! 

When I plug in with the supplied adapter I see fast charge appear on the lock screen, followed by Slow charge->fast charge->slow charge->charge.

Takes over 2 hours to charge the phone from +/- 20%

This doesn't seem right...tried it with several USB C cables and with another 3.0 adapter, same results every time.

I've been on Oreo since first boot, so I don't know if this is an oreo specific issue.

Best Answer
Also checked at my end and looks like a display problem. I tried charging at 15% - 18% battery level with several chargers and checked charging rate with AIDA64 app: 1) Anker PowerPort 5 USB-C (5V/3A, supposed to be USB PD) --> up to 2700 mAh, displays "rapid charging" 2) Google Pixel C charger (5V/3A, confirmed as USB PD) --> up to 2800 mAh, displays "rapid charging" 3) original Nokia 8 charger (5V/2.5A, 9V/2A, 12V/1,5A, not sure if USB PD or QuickCharge) --> up to 3000 mAh, displays "charging" Charging rates clearly show fast charging doesn't matter what is displayed.

1 person has this question

Same for me too. Not sure what to try. Have changed chargers. Says Rapidly Charging but 34 mins to charge from 83 to 100%. That doesn't feel rapid.
I do know once a the battery reaches a certain percentage of charge say 60% - 80% it will slow down to avoid damage to the battery. But possibly an Oreo bug
I've tried it with several remaining levels of charge, but same result every time. Also, when using fast charge it's true that it throttles down near full capacity, but it will always display as "fast charge". With former phone, HTC 10 this was the case.
@Scoot78 I will see what mine does when my battery is low in charge. I'm sure it will still charge as fast and it's an Oreo bug.

1 person likes this

You guys using standard charger? 

I'm using one that come with the Nokia 8  never see rapidly charging or fast charging?

Just charging from 24%  3 hours to full. 

Fast charging never seams to work for me. Never see Fast or slow charging. Just Charging from 24% 3 hours to full.

Using standard charger. 

You have to realize that fast charge doesnt mean you will get full 100% in 30 minutes.

You will get 50-60% in 30 minutes because thats the point of it, you get up in the morning and go to work and you realize holy sh*t my battery is dead, so you plug it in and you can get more than 50% in 30 minutes, like thats the whole point.

If you want full 100% you need like 1 hour and half, I think its normal (if not someone correct me) they need to prevent battery damage and also you can notice if you go full 100% the battery drain is much slower than if you just charge it for 30 minutes. So all in all, the fast battery charge is only good if you are in hurry and you dont have time to fully charge your phone.

2 people like this
I've noticed this too, when I plug mine into a quickcharge 3.0 charger it will say rapidly charging then drop to slowly charging and then just say charging. I don't know if this is a bug with Oreo and it is fast charging but displaying the wrong thing. But what I did notice was when I hooked it up Tina 3rd party charger that only does usb pd it negotiated and said rapidly charging, so does this device use quickcharge or is it actually usb power delivery. I didn't actually time how long it took to charge when using a power delivery charger. It's more likely though that this is a minor bug.

I am using Anker PD charger on my N8 and charging speeds are pretty good. I have never seen rapid charging on my phone. Not even with official charger. I am not using the official charger because of lack of power slots on my desk and the Anker PD charger is all set up from 6P days. This thread is the first place I even realized that the phone is supposed to show rapid charging on QC3 charger! My power bank is QC3 capable and even that shows the regular charging message on the phone. Would keep an eye out in future to see if that changes. 

1 person likes this

Answer

Also checked at my end and looks like a display problem. I tried charging at 15% - 18% battery level with several chargers and checked charging rate with AIDA64 app: 1) Anker PowerPort 5 USB-C (5V/3A, supposed to be USB PD) --> up to 2700 mAh, displays "rapid charging" 2) Google Pixel C charger (5V/3A, confirmed as USB PD) --> up to 2800 mAh, displays "rapid charging" 3) original Nokia 8 charger (5V/2.5A, 9V/2A, 12V/1,5A, not sure if USB PD or QuickCharge) --> up to 3000 mAh, displays "charging" Charging rates clearly show fast charging doesn't matter what is displayed.

1 person likes this
Hey AlexKay, Wow, this is good info! So it's just that it's not displaying correctly. I was also not completely sure if it wasn't working or not displaying correctly, hence the question mark in the topic title.  But this is solid info, thx for the effort of figuring this one out. I've marked it as answered. 
My Nokia 8 takes over 2h for full charging with an quick charger. For me it is the furst smartphone with this function. So I can not say if this is fast or not. My old Galaxy Alpha (~1100mAh) needed not more than an hour.
Same problem, takes 3u or let me say more than 2h30 for a 3090mah battery? Something is not right, my Honor pro has 4000mah battery and is a lot faster... Not my first smartphone but one of the slowest for charging. Don't have the feeling that this was a problem in the beginning. Charged faster I guess but don't know is it the charger or the phone.

I am not using the official charger because of lack of power slots on my desk and the Anker PD charger is all set up from 6P days. This thread is the first place I even realized that the phone is supposed to show rapid charging on QC3 charger!we are provided Best laptop charger in Dubai.if you face any issue regarding charger.then you can Buy Apple laptop charger in UAE. you may visit website.

https://laptopcharger.ae/apple.html

Login to post a comment