The community forum

Join the conversation

Answered

Root and Warranty

Hello, I just wanted to know if rooting my Nokia 6 TA-1033 could void my warranty ? Thanks.

Best Answer

EU has consumer rights and laws, it is not a warranty but best practice and procedures. A warranty from a manufacturer or a reseller must exceed the basic consumer rights to be a warranty at all.

There are hours of reading from
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumer_rights/index_en.htm

In short, products must be fit for purpose for 2 years (but defect claims are an uphill battle after 6 months, practically) - and please note, if you broke it then you pay for it - unless you got insurance.

Perhaps more important regarding rooting or modifying the phone is that apps that use Digital Rights Management, wallet apps, and other business apps may refuse to install and/or work on the phone.

--
Hans

1 person has this question

Yes. Not only with Nokia, but with all Manufacturers, the warranty is voided if you root.

Hi, i have read someone that in the EU, all the electronics products have a 2 years warranty (independently from the manufacturers warranty) is that real ? Thank you for your answer.

1 person likes this

Tech Wizard

Answer

EU has consumer rights and laws, it is not a warranty but best practice and procedures. A warranty from a manufacturer or a reseller must exceed the basic consumer rights to be a warranty at all.

There are hours of reading from
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumer_rights/index_en.htm

In short, products must be fit for purpose for 2 years (but defect claims are an uphill battle after 6 months, practically) - and please note, if you broke it then you pay for it - unless you got insurance.

Perhaps more important regarding rooting or modifying the phone is that apps that use Digital Rights Management, wallet apps, and other business apps may refuse to install and/or work on the phone.

--
Hans

Thank you for your answer Hans, if i have understood, i can root my phone without losing my warranty except if i brick my phone ?

Login to post a comment