The community forum

Join the conversation

No Recovery Mode?!?!?!

Hi all!

Maybe someone has a clue how to solve my problem. If not, it's also important to read this, especially for those, who want to buy a Nokia phone.

Under Android N I wanted to go into the Recovery Mode because I had a big problem with my WiFi. I tried it via the keys on my phone (power + volume up) and also over the ADB command line (you know: the fastboot recvory mode command)

Via ADB I got my maintained Android and on the bottom I had a error like unable to access or not found or something like that. That means, I can't get access to the Recovery Mode or I don't have it.

Trying to get to the Recovery Mode via phone keys (power + volume up) does nothing, it's restarting all the time.

I can't enter only safe mode through my phone keys.

I called the support, and at the end (the support employee said to me everything that I already checked through the whole internet) the statement was, that some models don't have a Recovery Mode (he ask other colleagues).

My phone with Android O still don't have the recovery mode.

WTF????? Come on, Nokia. What kind of sh** is this? The Recovery Mode is the only way to Reset the phone when you aren't able to load the OS because some problems. 

The Recovery Mode is a must have thing. It's not acceptable not to have it.

If you, reader, want to buy a Nokia, check in the store if the model has a Recovery Mode or buy your smartphone from another company. Next time I will do that.

If someone has an idea how to enter the recovery mode (not the mentioned ways), please say it. Even a custom recovery will do it.

Thanks for reading and any help.

- Daniel -

3 people have this question

This is truly ridiculous. I am also unable to get my Nokia 8 to enter recovery. Why would Nokia insist in sabotaging an otherwise superb device by leaving out recovery mode and keeping the bootloader unlockable?

Hi! 

You should be able to enter recovery mode. As per our FAQ, please follow the following steps: 

[...} make sure your phone is connected to a power source. We also recommend that your battery is at least 50% charged [...]

Press the volume up key and the power button simultaneously for about 30 seconds or until the root menu appears. Then choose the action you want to take from the root menu [...].

Can you let me know whether or not this works for you?

Many thanks,

Anna 

"Hi! 

You should be able to enter recovery mode. As per our FAQ, please follow the following steps: 

[...} make sure your phone is connected to a power source. We also recommend that your battery is at least 50% charged [...]

Press the volume up key and the power button simultaneously for about 30 seconds or until the root menu appears. Then choose the action you want to take from the root menu [...].

Can you let me know whether or not this works for you?

Many thanks,

Anna 

"

Nice answer, but a copy and paste of the FAQ is needless if my post has been read. 

Nothing works. NO power and volume + keys and NO ADB command. I DON'T HAVE a Recovery or it is NOT ACCESSABLE.

And what should I do when my smartphone doesn't load Android because of software/system problem? Oh yes... just go to the"Settings" when Android is loaded, then to "System" and then to "Factory Restore", "Factory Settings", "Hard Reset" or how it is translated into English.

Ok, I chatted a few minutes ago with HDM Global support about this issue. I never saw so such an arrogant, incompetent and unprofessional support.

I asked how to enter the Recovery Mode. I also said to them, I checked the FAQ and tried it also via ADB command.

The answer: They don't recommend this. 

I asked why. The answer: Because it's only for developers and a safety thing.

I asked what I should do, when my Android is in a boot loop or doesn't load?

Answer: Soft Reset over the Settings of Android

WTF??? What stupid answer is that????? I thought that answer should be an insult to me!

Ok, I continued asking.

I wanted to know, why some other people are able to enter the Recovery Mode and other not?

Answer: It's not designated to do that. If you enter the Recovery Mode, your warranty will be lost.

The best now: PEOPLE DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING WHEN THEY ENTER RECOVERY MODE!

Totally bullshit. What a big bullshit!!!!!! I want those drugs. Really. I want them. Where do I get them?????

They don't give me a correct answer. I made screenshots of the whole chat. If you want a proof, say it and I upload it. But it's in German.

-->> The Nokia 8 is my first and last Nokia when I don't have access to the recovery mode.

- Daniel -

2 people like this

The only hint was: power + vol. up for 10 seconds. As in the FAQ. Again, my first and last Nokia device.

- Daniel -

My last post to this topic.

After my nice chat with the support and while I was writing here, I received a last message which I read a 2 hours ago. The support told me: 

I need to send my Nokia 8 for repair to a workshop if I have a bootloop or other problems and can't load Android.

That means, if everyone can't access Recovery Mode because it's missing or locked, and you have a big trouble with your phone and can't make a reset (because of the Recovery Mode s***), you need to send it to a contract partner of HMD or HMD itself for repair. 

A lot of problems can be solved with a Reset through Recovery. I could solve them by myself if I don't have any other chances to fix them when Android was damaged.

Again, I saved the whole conversation and won't delete it, but it's in German and you need to translate it yourself.

- Daniel -

Try this:

Power off device.

Connect USB Cable to a Computer USB Port.

Press Vol+

Connect USB Cable to device holding Vol+

if the Android Symbol appears release Vol+ and press Power and Vol +

Recovery Menu should displayed

5 people like this

Try this:

Power off device.

Connect USB Cable to a Computer USB Port.

Press Vol+

Connect USB Cable to device holding Vol+

if the Android Symbol appears release Vol+ and press Power and Vol +

Thank's a lot, THAT works and I was able to enter Recovery :-))))) . Why the fu***** s**** wasn't HMD Global able to give me THIS easy and clear answer. UNBELIEVABLE support. Really abysmal.

Now I am happy and know what to do in an emergency :-). Thanks again

AndiFR: Thank you very much for your answer. I wish HMD Global could give me such an easy and clear answer. 

I am able to enter Recovery with your instruction. 

Again: thank you very very much.

- Daniel -

1 person likes this

From the conversations referenced here, it is obvious that the "tech support" people from HMD Global know zero about Android. Thank you to AndiFr! Your instructions were the first ones I've found that let me get into recovery mode.

Well it's pretty sad that somebody else not from Nokia's tech support had to came up with the solution, props to AndiFr though. But really, Nokia seriously needs to step up on their tech-support part.

Anyway, it's not working for me; 

Power off device. OK

Connect USB Cable to a Computer USB Port. OK

Press Vol+ OK

Connect USB Cable to device holding Vol+ OK

if the Android Symbol appears release Vol+ and press Power and Vol + -> after this the phone just keeps rebooting 

Thanks to AndiFr for the above tip. I did eventually get into stock recovery using ADB but your method is a lot quicker! 

As an aside after entering recovery, I noticed there is no option for wiping the system cache. I wonder why that is? Perhaps the Moderators can give an explanation please. I used to find that helpful to wipe the cache on my Nexus 5X and 7 after major updates, so I wonder why it's not present on the Nokia 8. 

i get the android symbol but it says no commands . help me please

Boa noite para quem não consegue entrar no modo de recuperação no Nokia como Oreo 8.0, e que não há comando deve seguir os seguintes passos

Depois de conectar o cabo ao computador e pressionar a tecla para aumentar o volume e ligar / desligar, quando o símbolo android aparecer sem nenhum comando, desconecte o cabo do telefone e pressione a tecla liga / desliga e toque na tecla aumentar volume para entrar no modo de recuperação .

Login to post a comment