The community forum

Join the conversation

Support for aptX & aptX HD

Do we know if Nokia 8 with Oreo already supports these Bluetooth standards already ? If not, will they be supported in the near future ? I can see these options under Settings -> Developer options, but when I select aptX, the setting is reverted back to SBC...

Can one of the admins care to comment on this ?

Thanks

13 people have this question

I too would like to know if we'll get aptX support. That being said, now with the Oreo update, selecting AAC seems to have improved audio quality and dropped audio latency, so it more acceptable.

I've tried contacting Nokia via twitter regarding this, but have got no reply. May try other channels until I can get an answer.

1 person likes this

Unfortunately, seems that aptx libraries are not present. In programmer's mode, you can select any option (aptX and LDAC seems to be the most interesting ones), but the system reverts always to SBC. It's pretty disappointing to hear silence about this. AFAIK, hardware is there, software is not. Nokia 8 is a terrific device, but this absence is unacceptable. I hope this can be solved in an upcoming update.

3 people like this
LDAC is definitely the most interesting for me (see my old thread about this). But even about aptX I would be happy. Unfortunately not even in the Oreo 8.1 beta there anything better than aac working. This is bad. :/

2 people like this

Any news on LDAC or at least AptX support? 

This is a bit ridiculous having no support for hi-res bluetooth audio codecs, considering that LDAC now is a part of AOSP.

1 person likes this
The same request from here. LDAC is absolutely a must to make this Nokia phone even better.

2 people like this

Agree with these comments. Am increasingly streaming from my phone to my hifi and AptX would be a real plus point for Nokia. Any news? This site suggests that it may have, but not sure how reliable it is, which version of Android was tested, etc.

A statement from Nokia would help.

In developer mode any changes in Bluetooth settings get reset to default. It's pretty disappointing... Why not giving support to all the latest technology that the hardware support. It doesn't make sense.

Simple - because of money. For an OEM to support aptX, they have to pay royalties to Qualcomm.

Well I've just returned my phone due to no aptX support, the audio quality was awful compared to my old xperia Z3 that supports it and that phones is years old now.

LDAC is FREE as far as I know. Sony made it available / "donated" it in AOSP. Not sure about aptX (which should be comparable to aac, but aptx hd should be better). Either way, I have the MDR 1000 X here and can't use anything better than aac. That sucks. I am not really happy with the audio on Nokia 8. My old Sony was wayyyy better here...
Hi folks, sorry at first, my english is not the Best. Last week i contact Nokia about apt x Support on Nokia 8. Nokia says, the Nokia 8 Support the aptx codec, but there is a Bug in the combination with oreo. Nokia is working on this issue.

2 people like this

for any high res BT codec to work both the headphone and smartphone needs to support the codec.

LDAC is available on all oreo devices but unless your headphone supports LDAC the phone will not transmit using LDAC. LDAC is Sony's codec and at the moment only higher end Sony BT headphones support LDAC.

AFAIK with Oreo there is support for all high res BT codecs including aptx HD, aptx and AAC in addition to LDAC.

Bose QC 35 only supports AAC.

B&W, Sony, PSB, NAD, Audio Technica all support aptx HD, BUT to use these codecs the headphone needs to support the high res codec as well otherwise the phone will default to SBC which is standard BT codec.

Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic also support aptx and aptx HD.

TLDR: to benefit from the higer res codecs you need to pay close attention to the headphones spec sheet, IF AND ONLY IF the headphone supports a high res codec will the phone tranmit using the chosen codec(like LDAC or aptx HD) otherwise it will ALWAYS use SBC.

Overseeing Bluetooth (audio’s) standards and development is the Bluetooth Special Interest Group. We sometimes hear this group referred to as the “The Bluetooth SIG”.

From Wikipedia: “The SIG is a not-for-profit, non-stock corporation founded in September 1998. The SIG is headquartered in Kirkland, Washington. The SIG has local offices in Beijing, Seoul, Tokyo, and Malmö. The SIG does not make, manufacture or sell Bluetooth enabled products.”

Bluetooth audio’s specifics can be found in the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP). A2DP mandates SBC support as a bare minimum. In other words, every Bluetooth audio device, transmitter or receiver, must support SBC. This is our Bluetooth baseline. If no other codec presents, we still get sound.

Unfortunately, for listeners with an ear for better sound quality, SBC won’t satisfy. I liken its sound to Spotify’s ‘Normal’ streaming setting; tonally grey with cymbals that crunch more than shimmer. That’s fine for the mainstreamer squarely focussed on Bluetooth’s wireless convenience but less for those of who also demand better sound quality.

Fortunately, higher quality Bluetooth audio is possible. The Bluetooth SIG have allowed for additional audio codecs to be slipstreamed into the A2DP, opening the door for hardware manufacturers to takes listeners beyond SBC’s baseline.

Making a bigger splash is aptx HD– a lossy codec like any other. Per MP3 or AAC, aptX can be used to compress digital audio into a less bandwidth-intensive stream. And like the early days of MP3, aptX’s owner Qualcomm claim their codec capable of “near CD quality”. The operative word is “near”. aptX (HD) isn’t lossless. At time of writing, A2DP isn’t yet capable of lossless codec deployment.

Fortunately for us, an aptX-compressed Bluetooth stream sounds better than its SBC-compressed equivalent. Problem solved, right? Not so fast.

Remember: aptX is an optional codec. It must be present at both ends of the Bluetooth connection – in the smartphone/laptop AND headphones/streamer. If it isn’t, the Bluetooth audio connection reverts to the inferior sounding SBC.

Let’s exemplify. Sennheiser’s promotional copy promises the following of their Momentum Wireless headphones: “…the high-definition aptX codec carves out every aural nuance in even finer detail. Thus, the trademark MOMENTUM sound becomes still more brilliant.” That might be true. But Sennheiser are only giving us, quite literally, half of the story. In order to realise aptX’s aural nuance carving capabilities, it must also be present in the transmitting device. And this is where the devilish details reside.

Windows 10 supports aptX – no problems there. Ditto MacOS

I have no issue in getting my 13” MacBook Air to talk aptX to the Momentum Wireless – they sound great too. Less so when cutting over to an iPhone. What gives? iOS does not support aptX and so the Bluetooth audio connection reverts to the inferior-sounding SBC and it will do invisibly to the end user.

What can we do to get the Bluetooth connection away from SBC?

Before dropping cash on the counter, consumers have work to do — dig into a Bluetooth headphone’s codec inclusivity. Does it do aptX, AAC or LDAC? My experience tells us that if it’s on the spec sheet, it can also be found in the promotional material. Then look for the same codec in your favoured transmission device: smartphone, tablet, Mac or PC. A mismatch will lead to SBC and possible disappointment. How very inconvenient.

Sony's MDR 1000XM2 and H900N support: AAC, aptx, aptx HD and LDAC.

Bose QC35 supports AAC.

B&W PX supports aptx HD

NAD Viso 70 & PSB M4U8 supports aptx HD

Airpods support AAC

Beats Studio 3 support AAC

Sennheiser HD1, Momentum Wireless, PXC 550, Urbanite XL, HD 4.40 & 4.50 all support aptx

This is just a very small list but info about your headphone is just a google search away.

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment