The community forum

Join the conversation

Android 8.0 (Oreo) Update & Nokia Beta Labs Android 8.0 (Oreo) Beta

Hi there,

I would like to start with the following notice first. Thank you HMD, to bring back Nokia. I am very happy with all my new Nokia device and as usual, Nokia has once more delivered what they have promised and how they always have done in the past. Thank you once again.

I was wondering when do we (Nokia 3 users) receive the Android 8.0 (Oreo) update. I have done some reading at trusted sources where is stated that the Android 8.0 (Oreo) update will reach the users before end of December 2017. We are now  almost in to the second week of January 2018 and still no news regarding the update. More accurately, it almost looks like a total radio-silence.

I have tried to enter the Nokia Beta Labs Android 8.0 (Oreo) Testing, by registering for it, then to my surprise, I gotten the message that my device (Nokia 3) is not supported at the moment for the Android 8.0 (Oreo) Beta, despite is has been mentioned multiple times that the Android 8.0 (Oreo) Beta is available to all Nokia device (which includes the Nokia 3).

Anyway, we are fans after all, and will stick with Nokia till the end. I am sure there is a good reason for this the delay and If I may make a suggestion, perhaps HMD could at least tell us that updates scheduled for a certain time and model may come later due to whatever reason, at least then we all know and don't need to spam up the forum or facebook page with question :-D.

Thank you Nokia Team and please do keep up the good job :-D

28 people have this question

Nahh Nokia will say they will upgrade their phone to Oreo 8.1 at the end of 2018 saying they will skip 8.0 just like they did with 7.1.2 :). If I'm not wrong the Official Oreo might release at April or March of 2018. But still I don't believe it will be happening soon. Even if it happens Nokia will not spend enough resources to make Official Oreo to run more smoothly than current Nougat.The Official Oreo update will bottleneck Nokia 3 to point where its unusable. I think so because they haven't been able to do any good with their high end phones.Maybe they will take more than a year to perfect the Official Oreo by pushing their security patches and other updates. Don't expect Official Oreo to be buttery smooth. Enjoy what you have today.

Hi Wilson,

Thank you for your responds, I already had that idea as well, specially when it went all quiet about the Android 8.0 (Oreo) Upgrade for the Nokia 3 and 5. 

These 2 devices already having half their internal memory eaten by Android 7.1.1 (Nougat), not to mention if one would upgrade to Android 8.0 (Oreo).

Looks like it won't be Android 8.0 (Oreo) upgrade for the Nokia 3 after all, but perhaps a Nokia 3 (2018) with Android 8.1 (Oreo) and 32GB internal memory.

But we will see, if no Android 8.0 (Oreo) for Nokia 3 and 5, then so be it, at least we've gotten most of the updates required to keep the current OS stable, I can't really say that about other manufacturers though. 

So, still my thumbs up to Nokia. :-D

1 person likes this
Hey eurasious I personally think Nokia should upgrade Nokia 3 to Android 8.1 Go edition just as they planned for Nokia 2. I have heard it is especially designed for phones with 1GB ram or more.So it would be quite a good move by Nokia if they go for this.May be they are planning on this who knows? I guess if they are smart enough they must be.

2 people like this
Hi Wilson, I see, that explains the "Go" apps I've come across on apkmirror hehe. Ok, if Nokia can use the Android 8.1 Go version for the Nokia 3 and 5 as well, that would indeed be a better solution, specially storage and RAM wise. Ok then, let's wait and see what's going to happen.

2 people like this

But Nokia 5 has already got the Oreo 8.0 beta updates. You can sign up for beta labs if you wish. I think you don't know about this. Stable version is yet to come.

Thanks
I was delighted after juho sarvikas tweet on jan27 2018, that Oreo beta rollout is just around the bend. Now it's 22 Feb 2018, still no beta rollout. It's a long wait for nokia fans.

Obviously Nokia is too busy for MWC 2018 so let's be postive and hope we get the Oreo Beta for Nokia 3 after the end of MWC.

Login to post a comment