The community forum

Join the conversation

Answered

Oreo ROM size

The ROM size for Android 8.1 (Beta) on my Nokia 8 is 12GB (!!).

On my old Nexus 5X running Android 8.1 the ROM size is around 5GB.

I wonder what can create such a difference since the Nokia 8 is running mostly stock Android.

Best Answer

The size of the system partition is fixed, does not change according to updates, it was 12GB with Nougat, it will be 12GB with Android 8.1 and Android P.

The Nokia 8, like Pixel (1st and 2nd generation), adopts seamless update, feature not supported by Nexus. These require a double partition, in fact there are two installations of the ROM. When the system is booted on partition A, in presence of an update it is done on partition B and on reboot there is the switch between partitions, putting the B in the "active" state. Having two system partitions, two boot partitions, etc., it is clear that twice as much storage is taken up.

In short, it isn't a "problem" of the Nokia 8, but all those devices that use seamless update (you will have noticed that unlike your Nexus, after an update the restart is very fast).

Answer

The size of the system partition is fixed, does not change according to updates, it was 12GB with Nougat, it will be 12GB with Android 8.1 and Android P.

The Nokia 8, like Pixel (1st and 2nd generation), adopts seamless update, feature not supported by Nexus. These require a double partition, in fact there are two installations of the ROM. When the system is booted on partition A, in presence of an update it is done on partition B and on reboot there is the switch between partitions, putting the B in the "active" state. Having two system partitions, two boot partitions, etc., it is clear that twice as much storage is taken up.

In short, it isn't a "problem" of the Nokia 8, but all those devices that use seamless update (you will have noticed that unlike your Nexus, after an update the restart is very fast).

1 person likes this

Hi cri347, thanks for the detailed explanation, that makes sense. Indeed after updating the reboot is very fast, 

i've always wondered how that was possible. Thanks again!

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment