The community forum

Join the conversation

Answered

Make Nokia 5 start up silently

May we please find a way to let my Nokia 5 phone turn in in silence?

A member has asked this before. https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/discussions/topics/7000010833

His only solution was to disable all screen locks, which could cause worse problems, and install a third-party app.

Is there a better solution? I work in many situations that need absolute silence. If the phone is off completely, then just knocking the switch sets off the noisy start-up sound.

Best Answer

I have SIM-card set to PIN and Displaylock set to PIN.

I usually unlock by fingerprint. Despite of that, after reboot the phone will ask for the PIN .

Turn off the volume for ring/notification before restarting. Then reboot and you won't have the Nokia tune during the startup.

Actually the "Silent Boot"-app does exactly this: silence your phone before reboot and unsilence it afterwards. You can do this manually as well, but this (and the app) didn't work without the lock screen-ceremony.

The screen locks are not completely disabled with the solution that worked for me. On Reboot I am asked for the phone-PIN and the SIM-PIN. So I don't feel that I lost any security.

1 person likes this

Thank you both for your answers. @user490 may I check a detail or two? The "Silent boot" app allowed me a silent restart when I turn off the screen lock, as you said. I understand you have set up SIM card lock to require a SIM-PIN. Does that also require the phone-PIN or can you tell me which option determines that?

These are helpful workarounds.

@user1517388136439 Would you mind describing your method to turn off the volume for ring/notification? I press the volume switch, take the drop-down list of sliders, set them all to zero, then, for good measure, request total silence. Unless I also switch off the screen lock and install 'Silent boot' I still get the five-note Nokia noise on restarting. Can you tell me what I am missing? Thank you.

Answer

I have SIM-card set to PIN and Displaylock set to PIN.

I usually unlock by fingerprint. Despite of that, after reboot the phone will ask for the PIN .

1 person likes this

Thank you. Setting Settings/Security/Screen Lock to PIN instead of the default worked. So much so, it works even without the 'Silent Boot' app, which I have now uninstalled. Thank you, @user490, my phone is now much more discreet but is still reasonably secure.

Even setting volume ring to silent I still get the sound on boot, at least with the 8.0.0 beta.

The point is that we should not have to do this or install an app for this - phones should remain silent during boot, because I doubt there is anyone that wants their Nokia making a loud sound when during boot!

1 person likes this
I just turn on "do not disturb" from the pull down menu on the home screen before I turn the phone off and then when I turn the phone back on....no start up sound.

As written before:

"Silent boot" app simply automates this for you.

Login to post a comment