The community forum

Join the conversation

Oreo now available in the UK

My wife has just had a notification informing her that Oreo is available to download and install! She hasn't installed it though, these kind of updates usually slow older devices down! My Nokia 5 hasn't (purchased at the same time, from the same store) hasn't had the notification and 7.1.2 is still listed as the latest build for me...

Anyone else in the UK had the update?

My apologies, I should have included the model number of our handsets.

We both have the TA-1024 model handsets.

I got an update yesterday! But I did have to manually check for the update and initially it said Up to date, then after 5 minutes, I got a notification stating a software update was available.

Oreo, V5.22A

TA-1024

Nokia 5

I was previously on Oreo beta, but not sure if that makes any difference.

Do you find that your phone is slow, sluggish or laggy with Oreo? People are reporting performance issues with it! Still not had the update on my phone but the wife still has the update notice although she doesn't want to install it.

I've had to reset a couple of times due to some sluggishness. The last cause was a call coming in while I was playing a game.

In general though, not having any other problems, well not yet! YMMV.

It wouldn't surprise me if HMD/Nokia need to offer another update soon to fix some unforeseen bugs.

Just got V5.22A on my TA-1024, in the UK. 1731.2 MB upgrade (from 7.1.2) was smooth and painless. I've not done all that much with it so far, just basic functionality tests. Early impression is that it's fine, no objectionable behaviour or performance. Then again, I'm not a WhatsaGramBookInstaApp-obsessed teen / millennial, so possibly have more reasonable expectations. 

Ok, thanks for the update. Think I will hold off on the update for now too then. Having come back to Android after years with iOS, I must admit, I miss my iPhone already!!! 

I too am not a heavy social user, so I'm happy with the user experience.

It's a decent phone for my needs and I am not tied down to some ridiculous contract! Giffgaff FTW!

I'm not a heavy user either...

I browse Facebook once or twice a day, send a few whatsapp messages, emails, texts, calls and web browsing. I did also use word and excel but that's gone out of the window because they don't work on these phones! The Nokia 5 phone is a great phone, well built and Nokia seem to be doing a great job with updates. I paid £129 for each handset via ao.com (black) so saved £40 per handset.

I just couldn't live with a laggy phone no matter how much I paid for it!

I found my Nokia 5 really laggy with Oreo installed, but then I realised that the cause of the lags was the Google now page on the launcher crashing constantly. I turned off Google now from the launcher settings and its been working ok since.

What you have to ask yourself is, is the Google now app the problem or is the phone simply not up to running the software from a hardware standpoint? One can be fixed, the other cannot. Be interesting to see what other reports/complaints come in as more phones get the update...

FYI, just not the notification my phone now too. So maybe Nokia are now pushing it to the rest of us TA-1024 owners.

The "Google Now Launcher" standalone app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.launcher) is deprecated (by Google), and is unsupported on Oreo. The default "Launcher3" is actually the successor and replacement for it. As far as hardware goes, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 and 2 GB RAM is pretty good for the price point. The performance of the phone is almost entirely down to the "System-on-a-Chip" (SoC), so should be identical to other devices with the same Snapdragon 430 and similar memory / screen specs.

Hi Murph,

I wasn't aware that the "Google Now Launcher" was a standalone app and that it is now depreciated (by Google). Explains the reasons behind the previous posters problems.

Also, I don't think anyone is complaining about the hardware specs of the phone or the price point? I for one understood what it was that I was buying at the time of my purchase! However, performance should not be an issue out of the box? Manufacturers also need to know when to push an update or upgrade and should say NO to such upgrades if it has a major impact on performance.

With all that said and done, you'd think that performance would ok running Oreo? The Nokia 5 isn't exactly an old model and the Android OS is supposed to be as close to stock as one can get!

Login to post a comment