The community forum

Join the conversation

NTFS file system

Is Nokia 8 going to support it for the micro SD card? Or do I have to return the device? I only have 3 weeks left to to return it.

Look in the play store you will find something called paragon NTFS this adds NTFS file system support to android. It has a trial so you can see if it works for you. I believe only reading from NTFS is supported, it is a plugin for the total commander file browser, it does also work with the default file browser built into android. I've only tested it with an external usb bus powered drive with a usb c other adapter. My phone was able to power the drive up and mount the drive using paragon. I was then able to read and copy files off it. I did not try writing to it. As to whether Nokia will support NTFS drives in the future, this is highly unlikely since NTFS is a Microsoft proprietary disc format and licenses need to be paid to use it. Hence also why the app is a paid for app.

Thank you buddy for your fast reply, but I had already tried that app: it does not work with the micro sd card.

Too bad that such a good hardware meets such a bad software...

It's also a shame that customers, after spending 600 euros on a phone, aren't even given the chance to mod the software to make up for its maker's laziness...

I'm definitely returning it and buying something else.

Regards :-)

You should perhaps consider whether your expectation of NTFS support is reasonable. In my opinion, it's actually quite unreasonable to expect it. The official standards for SD cards specify FAT for SD and SDHC, or exFAT for SDXC. Both Nokia and Android support those just fine. Why do you have such a strong desire to use a non-standard format, which is poorly supported across all relevant industries? What benefit are you expecting from it? NTFS does have some useful improvements over FAT for large computer filesystems (desktops and servers running Windows), but most of those are either irrelevant or marginal in the context of a media storage card (or on non-Windows systems).

All my previous smartphones supported ntfs just fine, and I used it, so why do I have to take a step backwards? It's 2018, 4k video recording is here (and not only), so this whole blabbering about standards is totally useless and out of place (and time).

Thank you for your reply.

SDXC with exFAT format (on an appropriately speed-rated card) is more than capable of handling 4K video. NTFS does not give any significant benefit for that scenario. FAT and exFAT are not "a step backwards", they are still the current industry standard for media cards, with the major advantage of being widely supported. Android as a whole (not just Nokia) does not support NTFS because it is quite unnecessary and irrelevant to the platform. For the internal storage case (including "adopted" SD cards, used to expand internal storage on Android), where FAT's characteristics could actually be problematic, it uses the Linux ext4 filesystem. The SD Association's standards are far from useless and quite relevant; they ensure excellent multi-vendor and multiplatform interoperability. You are unfairly criticising Nokia for something which is generally unsupported across the entire industry sector (now that MS have abandoned the industry), and which is unsupported by the vast majority of Android vendors.
Dude, Nokia doesn't support NTFS and exFAT, both of which allow the micro SD card store files bigger than 4gb. Nokia 8 doesn't even support SDXC cards, so I don't understand why you are using them as an example. All my previous smartphones (I also own 2 tablets) allow the micro SD cards store files bigger than 4gb, so yes this whole situation is definitely a step backwards. I couldn't care less whether it is NTFS or exFAT, I WANT THE MICRO SD CARD TO STORE FILES BIGGER THAN 4GB. Regards ;-)
What makes you think it does not support SDXC? The official specs say microSD up to 256MB, which means SDXC (and consequently also exFAT). They can't legally use the SD trademark without meeting the standard. Have you actually tried a SDXC card with exFAT format?
You might find the SD Association's formatter useful. They claim it should more reliably give optimal format parameters, compared to generic format tools included in the OS.
This is from what I understand and what I have deducted from my own usage of the Nokia 8 and other Android devices that I have owned. First of all none of them have supported NTFS. This is because NTFS is a Microsoft disc format designed for Windows based operating systems. A license fee has to be paid to Microsoft to use this disc format. It is not supported at all by the Android OS and I don't know of any vendor that has added support either. Paragon produce a tool that enables NTFS volume to be mounted as read only, it does not allow you to write to it, even if it did allow you to write to it I would not recommend it. Now we come to exFat, this is just an extension of Fat32 to allow larger file sizes, again this is a Microsoft disc format, a license fee has to be paid to be able to use it, most Android vendors do not pay for the license fee therefore support is not added for it. It is not part of AOSP Android which is what Nokia use therefore it is not supported. If you insert a large micro SD card into the Nokia 8 it will say it is corrupted and offer to format it for you. This will format the card to Fat32, not exFat as it's not supported. Again the Paragon software in the play store does allow you to mount an exFat formatted disc for both read and write. For the record I personally I have only tested Paragon with external drives connected via the usb c port of the Nokia 8. When mounted via this app you can only access the drives through the internal android browser or through total commander. Apps like the camera etc will not store photos or video on it as it won't show as an available drive. This is probably also why this method does not work for the op. My suggestion to the op is what are you trying to do that requires this amount of storage on a phone? I'm wondering if perhaps you are using the wrong device for the job. If you want it shoot 4k video then my suggestion would be let it store it on the internal storage and let it backup to Google drive, you can then clear the space once it has done this on your internal storage. All your photos and videos are still accessible via the Google photos app since it will be logged into your Google drive account. This is the best your going to get from a mobile phone with android on it. Seeing as windows phone is practically dead I don't think you will find a better option even the top end apple iPhones won't do what you want.

I tried, it doesn't work. The card I tried is actually a micro SDXC. I meant that Nokia 8 does not support normal sized SDXC cards, which don't fit in.

EVERYTIME I tried to format the card with something else other than the phone, it would report "damaged card".

In a few words, Nokia want their customers to be stuck in the 90's (FAT32 was released in 1996).

I'm returning the device as fast as the lightning, and for the same price getting a much better device.

Thank you mate for your effort to help me out.

Regards :-)

Huh, ok, that's actually quite concerning. If there's really no exFAT support (and I'm not doubting what you have reported), I believe there may be a legal issue for Nokia. I would need to read the SD licenses more closely to be certain, but I think it may actually be trademark infringement to say "microSD, up to 256MB" on the spec sheet, if there is no exFAT. "microSD" is a trademark, so can't be used other than under license. Without exFAT, it seems to me that they should not be advertising more than 32GB max (i.e. SDHC), and not implying any level of SDXC support. They don't have to actually block the use of oversize FAT32 cards, but it's wrong to imply proper / full support per SD specs. Just my opinion, I'm not a lawyer, perhaps they are narrowly on the white side of grey.

You're right, man, but I think that if they had not advertised their phone as supportive of the SDXC standard, many less people would have bought it. Never forget that in the commerce world, customers are often doomed to be raked over a cheese grater :-D

Yep the phone formats it as Fat32, which limits the maximum file size. It's not possible on the Nokia 8 to mount the SD Card as part of the phones file system either which would also have gotten around your problem as it would have formatted the card differently. If you purchase another device you will likely run into the same issues you are having now, I had a Samsung phone before this one and it treated SD Cards in exactly the same way. It would format them to Fat32.

I have Samsung and Honor smartphones, and Asus and Huawei tablets, none of which has this absurd problem. My next purchase is not going to have it either, I checked out its features.

Out of curiosity, what Samsung phone did you have?

Login to post a comment