The community forum

Join the conversation

Privacy concerns

To what extent does the device "phone home" and to whom?  I don't want something that spies on me and reports back to Google or anyone else.

2 people have this question

Tech Wizard

Privacy policy for HMD Global products and services:
https://www.nokia.com/phones/privacy

EDIT: Link corrected

1 person likes this

I don't have the answer to this question, I am looking at this phone because I would like a feature phone that i can use as a 4g hotspot to connect my laptop if I am away or my daughters tablet, but I don't want any Google software on the phone - if I did I would get one of the Android phones. I read Google Assistant is installed and I hope it can be removed.

1 person likes this

Community Hero

Good point. I don't know how much it can be configured, but AFAIK KaiOS is independent of Google so Google Assistant won't be as integrated as it is on Android phones. I would suggest researching how KaiOS is for privacy with other phones but AFAIK the 8110 is the first KaiOS phone with Google Assistant.

Great.  Now Google are involved.  That's killed that, then.  I'm not getting one now, even though I want it.

Google leaps on the platform formerly known as Firefox with $22m splurge for KaiOS

1 person likes this
I don't think there are any 4G LTE platforms that would be available for use by third party phone developers without involvement of either Google or Chinese internet companies.

Community Hero

Hmmm, I'm sure it's possible, just difficult. KaiOS existed before Google invested and the JioPhone is made in India (though it was first made in China and I'm sure there's still some Chinese involvement).
Login to post a comment