The community forum

Join the conversation

Feature Request: Unlock bootloader

Dear HMD Global / Nokia:

You're device lineup from last year has been a success, and received fair reviews from various tech reviewers. With the release of the new lineup of devices that will be released this year, we think that now is the time for you to unlock the bootloader for the previous generations of device, and give some love for the developers out there. By unlocking the bootloader and releasing the kernel sources for a device, one could customize and gain total control over the OS he or she purchased during the first place. We paid for our device, and we shall be getting the most out of it since we purchased the unit, knowing that Android is OPEN SOURCE, and can be modified and/or customized.

We are aware of the risks of unlocking the bootloader, and even acquiring elevated commands from the OS. We are also aware that unlocking our bootloader would put our devices at risk. We purchased the device, knowing that we must get the most out of it.

One user from Twitter, claiming to be a Chief Technology Officer at HMD Global (@MikkoLJaakkola) stated that "Unlocking bootloader is indeed in our backlog ." It's been almost six (6) months from the time of this post, yet nothing has been done yet.

HMD Global / Nokia, I think that now is the time for your company to give love to the passionate developers out there, and to give your customers what they truly deserve: The freedom to have total control over their device, and get the most out of it.

Sincerely,

NHeoShadow

24 people have this question

I support this

1 person likes this

Still no reply from a mod, after 1 month :<

1 person likes this
I support this. Please do it
Support 1+

we're not going to get through to HMD. I returned my Nokia 8 today. Thrilled about the hardware and price, very disappointed by the lack of support for developers. 

And don't give us the security BS. Nexus phones (and most other android phones) allow for the bootloader to be unlocked. Just erase user data as soon as bootloader gets unlocked, and voila, no more security issue. 

Get your SH**T together, HMD. 

+1

aw too late. too late to unlock bootloader. nokia 8 will no development growing.

Come on 8 months still no bootloader unlocking. Developers planning to buy this device will just go for another brand if you don't allow unlocking even after a year of release.

Bumping the thread... ^^

1 person likes this

I sent mine back and got a Oneplus 6 instead. I was happy with the nokia 8, but being locked out of my own device is not acceptable to me. 

hello. herein Greece we say a winsdom man never make thw same mistake 2 times. Nokia after the fatal marketing with Windows Mobile never learn her Lesson. People need to power their devices. The want androind to custom them to make the phone to fit at theirs needs. If steel keep the bootlaoders at hers devices locked she gone to lose the new wave of customers. what a pity hers devices are excellent at hardware. She didnt follow the expmple of Xiaomi ( company make forum and user can custom free roms)

This is a direct violation of the GPL licence. Contrary to popular belief, it is not just the kernel source code they are obligated to release. They can't prevent us from running or installing modified software, which they are by locking down the bootloader. As stated in paragraph 8 in the link below. ""Some devices are designed to deny users access to install or run modified versions of the software inside them, although the manufacturer can do so. This is fundamentally incompatible with the aim of protecting users' freedom to change the software. The systematic pattern of such abuse occurs in the area of products for individuals to use, which is precisely where it is most unacceptable. Therefore, we have designed this version of the GPL to prohibit the practice for those products. If such problems arise substantially in other domains, we stand ready to extend this provision to those domains in future versions of the GPL, as needed to protect the freedom of users."" https://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html
Login to post a comment