The community forum

Join the conversation

Answered

What is the [E] symbol

Sometimes, when sending a text on my Nokia 2, a [E] symbol (an 'E' inside a square box) appears in the top RH corner of the screen.

What does this mean please?

Best Answer

[E] means mobile data, EDGE on a 2.5G GSM phone, is active.
When sending and receiving pictures or using social media.

--
Hans

Tech Wizard

Share a screenshot.

As far as I can tell, my Nokia 222 has nothing as sophisticated as a screen shot facility. The only way to get one probably would be to put the phone on a scanner while the [E] was in display, but even then - as I don't know what causes the [E] symbol to appear - I've no way of creating the necessary display in the first place :-(

Tech Wizard

Nokia 2 (according to your first post) , running on android OS has option to take a screenshot.
If it a Nokia 222, feature phone, it is probably a English dictionary. 

you could use another phone to take a screenshot if you want to post it.

Tech Wizard

Answer

[E] means mobile data, EDGE on a 2.5G GSM phone, is active.
When sending and receiving pictures or using social media.

--
Hans

1 person likes this

Yes, the phone is a 222 - for some reason the original post did not like the repetition, nor does there appear to be an 'Edit' facility for posts here - sorry about the confusion!

As the [E] symbol only appears infrequently, not every time I send a text, then I doubt it relates to English. I /suspect/ it occurred only on the few occasions when I have sent a photo attachment, which aligns with the suggestion from user389.

I just wish the Nokia manuals were more informative !

1 person likes this

Tech Wizard

Thanks for feedback.
There are industry standards regarding the symbols. The user guide writers often omit this kind of information, since it varies per phone model, region and mobile network.

A list with phone symbols and common abbreviations at Microsoft:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10932/ 

I can't find anything similar at nokia.com/phones/support - It belongs in the FAQ section on the web, and under Get Started in the user manuals IMO
</hint>

--
Hans

Login to post a comment