The community forum

Join the conversation

Beta labs product specific forums visibility

Hi all,

Due to changes in our Forum moderation policy we have decided to limit beta labs product specific sub-forums to the users who have registered for beta labs. This means that beta labs sub-forums will be visible only for the consumers who have registered for beta labs with their own devices. This change should help to focus the discussion in the threads to the beta SW related topics rather than general question/issues related to beta labs (e.g. registration issues, availability for product x).

Beta labs general forum will stay available for everyone. This forum is meant for the discussion if you have any problems with the registration or roll back, question about availability of beta labs or anything that is related to the beta labs in general.

Any comments are welcome.

Regards,

Mike

4 people have this question

I like the no visibility feature. This is beta software, not software for general use. It is usually full of bugs and not intended to get a general feel how Android P will be when it is released to the public.

I agree with Nishanth sir's opinion

1 person likes this

Community Hero

You should still be able to register here: https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/betalabs

Tech Wizard

I blindly updated my Nokia 5 to Oreo 8.1 recently, Except the notification dots feature, everything seems to be working normal.. 
I don't see a link to register for Oreo beta anymore.. Even the Nokia 3 beta link is not available now. Anyways since I already updated, i'll leave things as they are.

Community Hero

I see your point about the forum visibility. You can probably register without being obliged to install the beta OTA update - when the OTA arrives, you can probably just refuse it. Worth trying?

Tech Wizard

In my case, I choose not to give Oreo Beta a try and wanted to stay with stable Nougat. I preferred reading the reviews or bugs or updates of Oreo before considering updating my phone. So it was very useful to get more info about it beforehand. So even a Read-Only mode would be great at this point of time!

I wish the moderators actually read the comments / respond to them. It really feels like we are talking among ourselves with no official acknowledgement of the errors/Bugs or no expectation of fixes for the issues being rolled out.

Community Hero

Well, whether or not one agrees I think the visibility control works. I stopped being able to see the beta labs forums, so I made sure I was registered properly and now I can see them :)
I already requested for an update but until now I haven't yet received it. What should I do?

I think it is a great idea limiting its visibility to people who are partaking in the beta programs, you might actually get beta specific issues brought to light then.

Tech Wizard

Hi Mike,
We do need a response to our comments. Considering the large number of posts in this forum, this is a general section which has some importance / priority. Or it really feels like we are just talking among ourselves without really seeing any response or official confirmation. A Community is supposed to be interactive, it doesn't really feel that way anymore.

Thanks,
Nishanth N

1 person likes this

Tech Wizard

Read Only mode sounds good too !

They would probably keep Beta Labs forum hidden , if they wanted users to update to Oreo without letting them know what to expect.

1 person likes this

Tech Wizard

Read Only mode sounds good too !

They would probably keep Beta Labs forum hidden , if they wanted users to update to Oreo without letting them know what to expect.

2 people like this
I agree with Nishanth, but also understand the reason for this. How about make the beta lab forum "read only" for non-testers?

7 people like this

Tech Wizard

Why would you want to limit the audience for Beta Labs ?
Consumers who have not updated to Oreo 8.0 or used Oreo Beta would want to know how the User experience is before updating their phones. 

Obviously, the more information one gets before updating their phone would be very beneficial. Or One might just Update their OS and unnecessarily spend time downgrading to 7.1.1. Which many users have done after Oreo experience. 

This change needs to be reverted or made accessible to all users as its currently a single forum for Nokia all fans / Users. Until the Beta Labs have their own Beta applications for users to test like the good old Symbian days, there is no point in hiding the Beta Forum posts.

11 people like this
Login to post a comment