The community forum

Join the conversation

Bluetooth audio (in car) not working since 8.1 update

Since I installed the 8.1 update bluetooth (audio profile) music does not work in my car. The handsfree phone functions work and the contact sharing works but I can't listen to music or audio-books anymore. This all worked perfectly before 8.1

I have tried deleting and re-pairing, I have also tried another phone (it works) so it is definitely related to the 8.1 update on the Nokia8.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm considering swapping the phone which is a shame because I quite like the Nokia but I drive a lot and like to listen to Audiobooks.

6 people have this question

Same here. To be able to play music in car I have to go into developers mode and manually choose SBS Bluetooth codek. Every time. Worked fine before the update.
Same problem

I also have the same problem with Nokia 8 and Android 8.1 update. If I pair the phone again, there is no problem. The next time I use it, the signal level is N/A and audio may be working, until it stops totally.

Very disturbing problem. Hope you can fix it in April update.

I also had the same problem with my sons Nokia 8 with Oreo 8.1 playing media sound over our PIONEER MVH-X580 Car radio in booth our cars no sound at all.

We tried following:

1. Restarting phone. Same problem

2. Restarting Car radio. Same problem

3. Playing over bluetooth headset. Works

4. Playing over HiFi bluetooth receiver. Works

So playing from the phone is not the problem.

I stumbled upon som bluetooth setting for the device named "HD sound. AAC" (don't know if the text is correct the phone lang is Danish). I disabled this setting and now the media playing over bluetooth works.

Hope this works

2 people like this
Have exactly the same problem. The connection is unstable. Sometimes works sometimes disconnect
The problem still remains but the HD AAC Sound workaround works. It seems Pioneer car radios doesn't support it.
Any updates on this, very frustrating

I have a Nokia 7 plus. Got it in Oreo 8.1 out of the box. I could play music and answer phone calls while paired to my car audio but it would stall and get disconnected every time I tried to sync contacts. Music playback is jittery as well as it would sometimes freezes and continue back. I have been hunting around but could not find a solution. My other phone (Huawei Mate 9) has no issue at all pairing with my car audio.

Same problem here. Sometimes, after a call, Bluetooth disconnects from Car and I get the message "searching phone". Then, I can't make calls or search contacts in address book. Very frustrating. Regards, Darío.

Nokia 7 too !!!

Well that will prevent me swapping the Nokia 8 for a Nokia 8 Sirocco as the problem obviously isn't limited to one phone/update, I have no confidence in HMD / Nokia now.

Though it seems typical of the industry I am surprised Nokia don't read their own user forum, you would think they'd consider it an invaluable source of information to improve their products and services.

Swapping the Nokia for another brand this week.

Tech Wizard

I suggest also blame Google and the car industry.
Google insist on obeying their interpretation of the Bluetooth standards, while the car manufacturers (and others) tend to stop further checking when their stuff works with Samsung and iPhone.

Bluetooth interoperability issues are often caused by mistakes at both the phone manufacturer and at the device at the other end (thanks Abi99).

There may be updates available for the car. It can come as a separate Bluetooth or a general infotainment system update, or via the updates for the whole car computer.
Please check the car manufacturer's website and their official retailers. (If they promise compatibility with Pixel phones it should also work with Nokia Android phones).

--
Hans

1 person likes this
I do think the problem is due to compatibility issues between newer Android and Bluetooth standard and the car infotainment system. However, I hope Google would make their system backwards compatible. Since we all know that automotive industry always never provide update and support for the infotainment system.
I'm using Nokia 8 in my Ford car and it's very frustrating that the connection is so unstable. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. While in call 1 it connects and the next it doesn't. Nokia pls suggest a solution

I have same issue with my new Nokia 8. I can use audio easily via BT in my car, but media is not going through BT. Media is enabled from my Nokia 8 BT profile settings for car, but it does not work.

Login to post a comment