The community forum

Join the conversation

GNSS (GPS) Power Management adjustable?

Hello,

I have been owner of a Nokia 8 for a few weeks now. I am pleased to note that it supports all four global navigation satellite systems (GPS, Glonass, Beidou and Galileo). Unfortunately, the phone switches off the reception of Beidou and Galileo satellites with good satellite reception, presumably to save power, because with plugged in power supply or active power supply by means of a power bank Beidou and Galileo remain permanently active. It would be nice if the phone would also permanently use all four satellite systems on battery power or you could configure this at least optionally. I noticed this negatively when using a ski tracker in the Alps, where the satellite reception was not always optimal because of the mountains, the phone often switched between receiving only GPS / Glonass and all four systems and therefore lost the location many times. However, when the power bank was connected, the positioning was optimal throughout the day, but this was less optimal for handling.

Does someone know if this behavior can be configured? Or is it hardcoded in the chip used for GNSS?

Best Regards
Michael

Interesting indeed. Using the GPSTest spp from BarbeauDev I get the GPSGLONASS and BeiDou satellites listed on screen in that order, whether I use external power or not, so that upsets your thesis, BUT that is NOT to say you're not partially correct in your assumption. My 8 frequently takes several minutes to show any Galileo sats at all, then I get 4-6 of them at the bottom of my list, usually along with one Japanese sat. I'm 15-55 metres above sea level in Denmark. I asked a colleague to install the same app on his Huawei P10 and it immediately found one Galileo sat, in the middle of his list between the GPS and GLONASS sats. I don't know how many more appeared later (poor science, pardon me). Right now, my app shows
Interesting indeed. Using the GPSTest spp from BarbeauDev I immediately get the GPS, GLONASS and BeiDou satellites listed on screen in that order, whether I use external power or not, so that upsets your thesis, BUT that is NOT to say you're not partially correct in your assumption. My 8 frequently takes several minutes to show any Galileo sats at all, then I get 4-6 of them at the bottom of my list, usually along with one Japanese sat. I'm 15-55 metres above sea level in Denmark. I asked a colleague to install the same app on his Huawei P10 and it immediately found one Galileo sat, in the middle of his list between the GPS and GLONASS sats. I don't know how many more appeared later (poor science, sorry). Right now, my app list shows no Galileo sats, but it's map (Google) gives my position, sitting in my house by a window, within max 2 m of my precise position - which rather suggests that the Galileo sats are being used anyway...
Login to post a comment