The community forum

Join the conversation

Suggested topics popup is off screen

Community Hero

Hi HMD community team,

I've noticed that the suggested topics popup appears off screen in my browser - Firefox 59.0.2 64-bit on Windows 7 Pro.

In fact the page width is larger than the width of my monitor, so I have a horizontal scroll bar. I'm sure this is an error, the suggested topics popup should appear next to the topic box.

Cheers :)

Tech Wizard

No issues regarding this, using the same Firefox version in Linux.
The suggested topics jump to the bottom when the browser window width is dragged and becomes too small to display it. There is never a horizontal scroll bar (1024x764 old laptop screen).

What is the screen resolution and browser window width on your PC?
Are all (6) linked domains with all the font and stylesheet stuff allowed?

I've disabled uBlock Origin for this forum, and most other browser preferences is standard.

--
Hans

1 person likes this

Community Hero

My screen resolution is 1920*1200. I use the browser full screen. Even if I change the window width the popup still appears top right. Here's a screenshot taken with the Firefox screenshot feature and shared via Firefox screenshots ;)

https://screenshots.firefox.com/hhttBPf8OsxyKjA5/community.phones.nokia.com

I'm using Nokia in a container with third party cookies disabled except for https://hmdglobal-prod.eu.janrainsso.com/. I've never actually disabled linking to other domains or any CSS stuff. I don't have uBlock Origin.

1 person likes this

Tech Wizard

Thank you for the screenshot. I misunderstood the issue, sorry!

The suggestions when starting a new topic is off screen on my computer too - so far to the right that I only see a tiny corner of its box on a 1024 px screen.

I hope the issue can be confirmed by the coders and that it will be resolved.
(It probably looks fine on a 4K UHD screen ...)

--
Hans

1 person likes this

I'm also facing this UI issue. Please fix this HMD Global.

1 person likes this

Community Hero

This problem still exists, it makes this popup box useless.

I put it on my list as well. 

Thanks for raising this again. 

Br, 

Laura 

Hi @madbilly 

could you by chance provide me another screenshot ... the one you posted above seems to be expired but so it would be easier to explain what is happening :). That would be awesome. 

Thanks and best regards, 

Laura 

Tech Wizard

Symptom:
When starting a new topic, suggestions for existing topics display too far right, on computers with small screen resolution.

To replicate:

On a computer, start the Internet browser, resize its window to less than 1200 pixels wide.

Select 'Start a new topic'.

Select a forum.

Enter a topic.

= The suggested topics display too far to the right.

On a 1024x768 screen the suggestions display as a tiny blank strip at the edge of the screen.
I had to drag the horizontal scroll bar to grab the screen shot below:

I hope it can be sorted out without breaking something else!

--
Hans

1 person likes this

Hi user389, 

thanks for the explanation and the screenshot. That’s pretty helpful. 

Best regards, 

Laura

Community Hero

Thanks Hans!

I'm a little slow on the draw these days, can't spend as much time here as I'd like...

Laura, my issue is just as Hans has shown.

Cheers :)

1 person likes this

Tech Wizard

It was a lazy morning here wirh nothing better to do :) - The suggested topics is somewhat redundant, since the search bar seems to do the same(?) But if it's there then it should be visible - or be replaced wirh a line saying 'matching topics found' as it does when using the forum on a mobile phone. -- Hans

Tech Wizard

The forum software still eats the line breaks when posting from the phone! (sigh)

Still not fixed?

@Laura, Fix is here. How long we wait for a simple fix for this issue? I just found the cause and it will not take much time to fix the issue.

@Laura, Please ask a developer to do the following,

Open 'theme.css' file as shown in the below URL,

https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/theme.css

Search for "#new_topic .control-group .controls" then add position: relative; inside the curly braces.

After given that code, it will look like below

#new_topic .control-group .controls {

margin-left: 0px;

position: relative;

}

That's it! Suggested Topics will be positioned near the input box.

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment