I took delivery of a new SIM Free version of this phone on Wednesday.
I charged the phone and booted it without a SIM, connected to my Wi-Fi at home and let it apply the Oreo update and then the March Security patch.
I placed a SIM in and booted fine and all is well except the voicemail number seems to be fixed to 905 and I need to change it.
I firstly tried to change to 443 which was the number for the service provider I was then on but it rejected the change with the message to contact my operator.
I tried a full reset of the phone but to no avail.
I'm in the process of moving provider and put the new SIM in tonght, the phone has not picked up the new voicemail number (901) from the SIM still won't allow me to change it.
I was using giffgaff which is a UK MVNO (running off O2) and am switching to O2.
Contacted HMD through the web chat and they just referred me back to the operator, considering the phone is SIM free they aren't likely to help that much, I did say that to the support person but that didn't seem to sway them.
Anyone had this issue on a UK version of this handset with stock firmware (not operator branded) and fixed it?
Booting without the SIM just gives the section title voicemail with no options.
Any more news on this? We have bought 5 Nokia 5s with the intention of buying another 11 but not proceeding until this bug is sorted. I have spoken to O2 and they are adamant that it is a Nokia issue.
Interesting that your O2 number is OK, as we are on O2 and having the issue. I have not had the problem on a Samsung Phone, the voicemail was not set automatically but I could change the default. I wonder if it is something silly like Nokia have locked changing the number and O2 have messed up encoding the Voicemail number on the SIM? Agree, I wish they would talk rather than just point the customer at the other party.
That makes it even funnier. I have 905 which is the Tesco Mobile VM number. I want 901!
I have been in e-mail communication with 'Nokia Mobile Care'
I was asked to try a different non O2 SIM.
I obtained and inserted an EE PAYG SIM and booted the phone, I checked and the correct voicemail number +447953222222 was configured for voicemail speed dial so it suggests the phone is either not able to read it from the SIM on O2/Giffgaff SIMs or is looking up the information in a lookup table when logging on but it is wrong.
Went back to 'Nokia Mobile Care' with my findings and waited, the next mail I got suggested they were trying to close the case.
I quote below
This is Nokia Mobile Care.
We are glad to hear that now the the voice number is the correct one with the new SIM provider EE.
Would it be there anything else that we may assist with?
Should there be, please let us know!
Nokia Mobile Care
The issue is not resolved.
I was asked to do this as a test and I am feeding back on the results of that test.
When I reinsert my O2 SIM the number goes back to 905 which is incorrect and cannot be changed.
Thank you for your reply.
As the test with EE has shown, this is a provider issue connected to o2 and it's daughter company giffgaff.
The issue has been escalated and we hope that with the help of o2 it will be fixed soon.
However, for the moment being we cannot help further.
If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us again.
Nokia Mobile Care team
322458:566912I'm not holding my breath on this.
Update for those interested.
I picked up my phone on Thursday morning just before heading out to work and saw a prompt to restart it to apply updated operator settings.
I agreed and the phone restarted.
Checked the voicemail number and it is now correctly set to 901.
I haven't tested with any other SIM but just out of interest I tried to edit the number and it still returns the error that it cannot be changed.
Giffgaff have improved their offer in terms of bundles so have gone back.
SIM in, boot up and prompt to reboot to apply operator settings.
Back to 905, should be 443 and is locked as before.
Why is this locked on a non-operator branded device and why don't you fix the issue, if you don't want to build a lookup table, unlock the setting so people can set it themselves.