The community forum

Join the conversation

No option to make SD card as internal storage

Hello, I have purchased Nokia 6.1 two days ago. I can't find the option to make the sd card to internal storage. There is only a format option in the storage settings of sd card. Can't find the option "format and make as internal storage". I tried different SD cards but no option to format and make internal storage. Contacted nokia chat support and done all the things they have mentioned like hard reboot, reinsert card, clearing app cache of system ui and Android system etc etc. Nokia, please check if the conversion of SD card to internal option is available for Nokia 6.1. If not please fix that bug in the coming update. Do i need to use any specific type SD card needed for this operation? Please reply.

18 people have this question

When you select the format option, devices which allow adopted storage should give you a choice of internal or portable. I don't know if it is enabled on the 6.1. As for the card, it's best to go for a good quality and high performance card with A1 U3 V30 ratings. Personally, I recommend a SanDisk Extreme. Beware of fake / counterfeit cards; buy from a reputable retailer.

2 people like this
Murph, There is no option to convert SD to internal or portable. Just have a option to format the SD card. I think its not enabled in Nokia 6.1. Don't know how to confirm if it is enabled in Nokia 6.1.
I have the same problem with Samsung Evo SD card. It have Class 10(U3). But this options isn't available. Not sure why.
Darknessbeast, The issue with all the sd cards.The phone is not supported that feature. Nokia support techs are not aware about it. I tried New sandisk sdxc uhs 1 100Mbps card but no luck

I tried last night with a Class U3 card and was surprised it didn't work.  Contacted support via the phone app and was told it did not work as internal storage only for storage of media.  I then sent them a copy of the page from the User Guide also in the support App and on this webiste that says it does work as Internal storage.  The online support were actually quite rude in their reply but would not admit that Nokia have messed up saying something in the User Guide that does not work on the phone.  

I then sent the same request and information to Nokia via email to customer support.  Not heard back yet.

2 people like this

Same here. There's no way I can get my SD card to be used for internal storage. Nokia 6 (2018), Oreo 8.1.

1 person likes this
Please keep us updated as I have the same problem.

1 person likes this

Same trouble with my nokia 6.1, I can only format to external... Hoping next update  fix it

I have had a reply to my question to Nokia customer service:

Greetings from Nokia Mobile Care ! We are sorry for the inconvenience that you are facing!

Please kindly keep in mind that the Nokia 6.1 device, as well as all other Android 1 devices, do not have the option for Internal storage formatting of an SD card. Additionally, there is no option for forced formatting of an SD card as such.

We hope this information managed to answer your inquiry. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again!

Still waiting for an explanation as why the User Manual says that Apps can be moved to the SD card.

3 people like this

Thanks for your update, bullroar. I've received the same reply, not sure if they'll change the plan.. :) 

1 person likes this

Hi,

I am facing such kind of problem. Nokia care should aware of this problem, they don't know about memory card issue in new Nokia 6.1 device, they guide us bluntly. And also Nokia should take care and fix that issue as soon as possible.

Thank You.

1 person likes this
Yeah, it does not support using an SD card as internal. With only 32 gb on the US version, it's pretty useless. Seems like a nice phone, but piece of shit if my apps and data storage are limited. I use this for business and need crap tons of apps. Returning and looking for something with realistic storage.

2 people like this

You can use the SD card for data storage, just use the settings in the app to select SD card as main storage.

1 person likes this
I was told it was a corporate decision not to add it as an option. This is ridiculous for an upgrade phone of its predecessor
Login to post a comment