The community forum

Join the conversation

No option to make SD card as internal storage

Hello, I have purchased Nokia 6.1 two days ago. I can't find the option to make the sd card to internal storage. There is only a format option in the storage settings of sd card. Can't find the option "format and make as internal storage". I tried different SD cards but no option to format and make internal storage. Contacted nokia chat support and done all the things they have mentioned like hard reboot, reinsert card, clearing app cache of system ui and Android system etc etc. Nokia, please check if the conversion of SD card to internal option is available for Nokia 6.1. If not please fix that bug in the coming update. Do i need to use any specific type SD card needed for this operation? Please reply.

20 people have this question

I see this could happen. The microsd is quite secure in its tray. Plus adoptable storage is a "optional core" feature. A few years ago we all said 16gb was not enough, now we getting to that point with 32gb phones. So adoptable storage is one of those set and forget features. 64gb is standard :( We will wait and see if Nokia enables this in the future.

1 person likes this
Even if you don't allow thi that is ok but please do not follow the A/B type storage for upgrading. System itself takes around 12gb data. It should be just 6 if one partition is used. Thank you
I have the same issue too. Personally i don't use big apps (i use fb and messenger lite) and dont play a lot of games. Theoretically that means i'm not quite worried about this for now but I fear that the updates as promised from android one over the next 2 years would eat up the storage much and without being able to transfer apps to sd its gonna be real tough... Nokia or android pie better enable this soon...

I now understand the underlying reasons why the available storage is cut in half, but I still wished it was otherwise. And it's ultimately the main reason why I sold my 6.1 again.

1 person likes this
I have no reason for selling it yet, i am not a power user as i said, but if things (storage) get worse i will have no other choice but to pull the trigger. I feel bad now for the even cheaper models (4, 5, etc.) which have only 8gb and less available

1 person likes this

found this elsewhere

It is by design, but not by Nokias! 
AndroidOne uses FBE (File Based Encryption) which is at the moment not compatible with Adoptable Storage (i.e. format as internal)

Its documented here :
https://source.android.com/security/...ion/file-based

Found this

File-Based Encryption

Android 7.0 and later supports file-based encryption (FBE). File-based encryption allows different files to be encrypted with different keys that can be unlocked independently.

This article describes how to enable file-based encryption on new devices and how system applications can be updated to take full advantage of the new Direct Boot APIs and offer users the best, most secure experience possible.

Caution: On devices running Android 7.0-8.1, file-based encryption can't be used together with adoptable storage. On devices using FBE, new storage media (such as an SD card) must be used as traditional storage.

Devices running Android 9 and higher can use adoptable storage and FBE.

https://source.android.com/security/encryption/file-based

Login to post a comment