The community forum

Join the conversation

Answered

Memory SD card issue.

Hello guys. I have a problem with my Nokia 6. Yesterday I bought a Micro SD card to have more memory in the device. The problem is that as soon as I inserted it into the appropriate slot and formatted it, in both options, it told me the damaged Micro SD card. I tried to format it in my PC (windows 10) and now it works. But the problem remains when I want to use it as "internal device memory". It keeps giving me error. I do not transfer files. Do you have a solution about it?

Best Answer
It sounds like it is a UHS-I card, from a quick look at Verbatim's current offerings. If it's not a UHS-I (check the packaging to be sure), e.g. genuine card but older stock, it is likely to be too slow for adopted internal storage. I can't explain for certain why it actually failed to format in the phone. It is less than optimal performance, as it's only a C10 (possibly a C10 U1). Given that the Nokia 6 has 32GB, I think the best option is probably to use it as portable storage, rather than adopted internal. The internal should hopefully be enough for apps, with the card used for data. As far as formatting goes, the best performance is usually to let Android format it (as portable). Android should format it as FAT32 (not exFAT, due to Microsoft's anti-consumer / anticompetitive abuse of patents), and automatically select format parameters suited to this scenario.

It sounds like you may have a fake or defective card. Did you buy it from a reputable retailer? Was the price surprisingly low?
Hi Murph! No, I bought it at the supermarket. The price was quite normal. 35 euros for a 128 GB SD card. I do not know. When I entered it, it did not go with any phone settings. Then I formatted it from the PC with allocation space of 128kb and for now only the first item works. "uses normal memory" not as internal memory, so I would not know. Do you have any solution?

Ok, a mainstream supermarket should be a reasonably safe place to avoid fakes. At that price, it could be that it's too slow for the phone. Adopted internal storage needs a high performance card. I recommend a UHS-I card rated as A1 U3 V30 (e.g. SanDisk Extreme), which I would expect to be at least double that price. Alternatively, a UHS-I card rated as A1 U1 V10 (e.g. SanDisk Ultra Plus) should work with reduced performance. I'm not certain, but I thought Android gave a specific warning/error for cards that are too slow, rather than "damaged". Another possibility is that it was complaining about the exFAT format which should be supplied on a microSDXC, but that should not prevent formatting. When used as internal storage, it gets a Linux ext4 format, so that issue goes away. As portable, SDXC can be still be used with the FAT32 format (violating SD standards). Did the error saying "damaged" actually prevent you formatting it from Android? In some cases, I think you can get that as a warning, but can still go ahead and format it.
Oh yeah,exact. You are completely right. Yes, I tried to format the card with the Nokia 6. But it fails. In fact, when I have it formatted in 128kb exFAT, I can use it as a portable memory. So I should format it with more allocation space, greater than 128kb? always in exFAT?
P.S. my SD card is: Brand: Verbatim, micro SDXC I class 10 premium +. (
Maybe it can be useful. I hope I have not made a mistake buying a card with reduced performance).

Answer

It sounds like it is a UHS-I card, from a quick look at Verbatim's current offerings. If it's not a UHS-I (check the packaging to be sure), e.g. genuine card but older stock, it is likely to be too slow for adopted internal storage. I can't explain for certain why it actually failed to format in the phone. It is less than optimal performance, as it's only a C10 (possibly a C10 U1). Given that the Nokia 6 has 32GB, I think the best option is probably to use it as portable storage, rather than adopted internal. The internal should hopefully be enough for apps, with the card used for data. As far as formatting goes, the best performance is usually to let Android format it (as portable). Android should format it as FAT32 (not exFAT, due to Microsoft's anti-consumer / anticompetitive abuse of patents), and automatically select format parameters suited to this scenario.

Okay thanks you very much! I will try to buy a new SD card. Thanks you Murph :)

I have exactly the same problem as RIKEN94, my micro SD card is a SAMSUNG microSDXC UHS-1, class 10 128Gb. I can only use it as an external memory, but it deletes most of my songs that i copy on it.

I also use an 64 Gb and I get the same results. Both were brand new

Any advise on what to to???

Login to post a comment