The community forum

Join the conversation

Disabling Apps Running in the Background Setting Broken in 8.1?

The setting shows a very erratic behaviour in 8.1. Disabled apps show up as enabled again and there's a wrong item count on disabled apps.

Nokia essentially ships vanilla Android, but their little(?) contribution on own code is clearly so badly tested (let's not mention the Nokia 5 background apps issues). What's going on here? A little bit more Q&A would be greatly appreciated.

Tech Wizard

Nougat had a concept of whitelist, allowing / choosing which applications you want to run.
In Oreo it is displaying as blacklist, where you can select all applications as blacklist and then remove important apps which u want to run in the background.

Tech Wizard

The Background applications issues was some applications used to auto refresh / close when they were in background. It was related to RAM management issue. It is better in Oreo and most applications continue from when we left off.

> Nougat had a concept of whitelist, allowing / choosing which applications you want to run. In Oreo it is displaying as blacklist, where you can select all applications as blacklist and then remove important apps which u want to run in the background.

Yes, but it seems that Nokia didn't thoroughly test preference migration then, because the app is completely confused what is activated and what isn't. E.g. the button says 50 apps are blacklisted, you go in and blacklist ten more apps. You go out again. Now it says 52(!) apps are blacklisted. You go in again and five of the apps you just blacklisted are toggled off again. 

Tech Wizard

Yes,
The number of applications displaying in blacklist after toggling will be less than the number you toggle. I noticed the same. But after repeated attempts, I was able to set it for all applications.

It takes time to change the settings for all applications, as the list takes a lot of time to load ! I have over 150 applications, So I notice a 10 seconds delay.

Login to post a comment