The community forum

Join the conversation

System files on Nokia 6 (2018) after Oreo update (8.1) take up 12G... is that normal?

Hi,I bought a Nokia 6 (2018) today and was asked to update to Oreo 8.1. After the update, I now notice in Storage that the system files take up 12G of space. On my trusted Nexus 5X (which I could also update to 8.1), the system files only take up 6G. I think that's rather strange but what do I know. Anyone out here that can shine a light on this? Thanks. 

4 people have this question

It is shocking, it is occupied 12 GB, really very bad

2 people like this

My thoughts exactly.

1 person likes this
Any ideas how to reduce this size? 12gb Oreo 8.1 System size on a 32gb phone does not seem like the way forward.

1 person likes this

Same on my nokia 6.1

1 person likes this
Nokia needs to work on this as 12 GB of system on a 32 GB device is a way too much. How Nokia looks into the matter and tries to make it a bit compact..

2 people like this

yeah, i was disappointed when i checked the storage. don't really need 64 gb, but with 12gb already taken, the 32gb is looking sort of small now

3 people like this

My thoughts exactly.

3 people like this
Возможно 2 версии андроид хранится. Только зачем?
It is nothing to do with the 8.1 update as mine has only just updated to 8.1 and had this issue before I updated - in fact one of my reasons to reset (aside from correctly assuming that it would push the update) was to try and clear out this system clutter. With a fresh install it is exactly the same on 8.1 as it was on 8.0 - 1/3 of the phone's storage being eaten by System.

2 people like this

3 people like this

I've just signed up purely to make this negative comment to Nokia. Having just purchased the Nokia 6 2018 and looking forward to the new phone, I have come across the same issue. Selling a phone described as having with 32Gb memory with almost half of it (45%) used up pretty much out of the box is mis-leading.

12Gb taken up by the operating system is HUGE by any definition for a mobile device. Even 5-6Gb for Android is well bloated compared to the 3.4Gb of my Win10 Lumia which I have had for the last two years, although I might just about live with that at a push. Desktop Linux upon which Android is based takes about 2-3Gb when installed and yet a mobile OS is twice that? and then twice again?

Sorry, but starting with 45% of storage used upfront is a big no-no and a massive home goal for Nokia. Unfortunately the vendor (Carphone Warehouse) will not answer technical questions even on this new purchase unless I purchase a support contract. With the storage issue and that attitude from Carphone Warehouse, sorry, but unless there is a way to disable seamless updates and recover that extra 5-6Gb of space, then the phone is going back for refund. Its a shame as otherwise I like its design and Android 8 seems a lot more polished than it was 3 or 4 years ago although it still has annoying niggles like managing application file associations properly.

It is rather odd when you consider the phone once set up has hardly any apps installed. And also latest Motorola G6 range their OS size is a mere 6GB 

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment