The community forum

Join the conversation

Anyone Embracing Notch?

Anyone embracing the notch design? I personally dislike it. I feel the bezels thinner than nokia 7 plus screen is good enough.

Community Hero

Personally I think having capacitative buttons at the bottom of the screen (all Android phones) is a bigger problem than a notch. I'm pleased to see that Apple is moving towards a true swipe interface and disappointed that Google isn't following suit.

However, I still don't really like the notch, I agree with you.

3 people like this
At first I didn't like it after seeing some images with tiny notch I changed my mind and I started to like it but after seeing the Nokia X6 I changed my mind again; it's good to see that Nokia-hmd started to follow new trends with no time but is this trend worth to follow? That's questionible. They could have spent their money to something way better than notch, double stereo speakers, Nokia sleeping screen etc

1 person likes this
I agree with madbilly about the swipe interface. But there's good news about that Google going remove most of the capacive buttons with the Android 9p But it's not good enough for me, we already sent the perfect buttonles design in 2010 with Nokia n9; that was perfect, I always dreamed that Nokia would make something like meego harmattan interface. So I think it's a good opportunity for them to impress us with meego's swipe interface in Android.

2 people like this
Personally, I hate the notch, and just want a flat and rectangular screen with no nonsense or complications. Notches, speaker cutouts, curved edges, and rounded corners are all just bad design to me. They are style at the expense of substance, compromising one of the most important elements of the device for no real benefit. Give me a simple and excellent screen, and whatever minimal bezel is needed to make that work. The bezel also gives me a secure grip of the phone without activating UI elements around the edges.

1 person likes this

Nokia designing likes a cheap MI chines mobile

1 person likes this
Please Nokia, don't join the notch craze.

3 people like this

Community Hero

Too late! :D

2 people like this

i disagree with madbilly, i really enjoy phisical buttons, the perfect combo was set years ago by pdas, a home button at the center, a back and menu at its side, and answer and drop at the sides of those, with option to reporgram all, about the notch, i also dislike it, bezels exist for two reasons, to have something to grab, and to protect the phone

I have concerns with minimal bezels (which usually includes "notch" phones) when the only repair access to the phone internals is by ungluing a glued in screen. The Gorilla Glass is pretty forgiving, but the digitizer screen beneath it is fragile. It would seem that the bezel would provide a little working room for the repair technician ungluing the screen. Some other phone manufacturers glue the screen to a tray, and then the tray is screwed and snapped into the chassis, so the limited bezel doesn't have the same issue as a glued to chassis screen. This is just my understanding of the situation, I'm not a repair technician.

1 person likes this

Community Hero

Just to confirm - I like physical buttons, I just don't like capacitative ones. The best thing about T9 form factor phones is the physical call and hang up buttons and the fact that I can write faster and more accurately than with a swipe interface.

Login to post a comment