The community forum

Join the conversation

Answered

Nokia 7 plus camera auto zoom in video mode

When clicking photos objects are looking good and normal but when camera mode change to video mode object become closer looking like zoom in video recording mode. This happen in both back and front camera

Best Answer
I have experienced the same. Then I realized that changing the video resolution from 1080p -the default one- to 4K made the difference. Using 4K vídeos do not look like zoomed in but the file sizes produced are huge. In my opinion this shouldn't be the behavior, it is like if the phone is just choosing the 1080p size rectangle at the center of the image captured by the sensor instead of scattering pixels from the entire image. Guess this way was easier for developers but the result it is not meeting the expectation. Looking forward a fix for this

A bit of zooming in will happen in video mode as the Electronic Image stabilisation works like that.

Answer

I have experienced the same. Then I realized that changing the video resolution from 1080p -the default one- to 4K made the difference. Using 4K vídeos do not look like zoomed in but the file sizes produced are huge. In my opinion this shouldn't be the behavior, it is like if the phone is just choosing the 1080p size rectangle at the center of the image captured by the sensor instead of scattering pixels from the entire image. Guess this way was easier for developers but the result it is not meeting the expectation. Looking forward a fix for this

@Puneet already answered. The zoom is due to EIS (which can't be disable unfortunately)

If there is no zoom in 4K like @user1526673240090 point it out, it's because there is no EIS in 4K. All other video resolutions have EIS on.

Please @user1525532364262 mark this thread as answered. Some people ask a question, another give the answer/solution and the OP never come back to close the thread (and/or to say thank you).

4k videos doesn't have EIS and hence, no zooming effect takes place but 1080p videos have EIS and therefore, have zooming effect. Developers can do nothing about it. It's how EIS works..
Your are right Puneet, I have observed the EIS effect on 1080p and also confirmed it is not there in 4K recording. I have compared open camera app 1080p video output that is not using EIS for whatever reason, with stock camera app 1080p video output and I see that the EIS feature is taking away 1/3 of the image. In other words, Open Camera app output has much wider angle than stock at same resolution. So, if EIS consequence is that 1/3 of the image is going away, I'd like to have the choice of disabling it, which cannot do with stock app. There is room for improvement there. In my case, at home, recording videos of my kid while he plays 2 or 3 meters away frequently result in half head out of frame :(. I'd disable EIS while shooting at home. Regards
Login to post a comment