The community forum

Join the conversation

GPS stopping

I have been using the Sportractive GPS tracker but since upgrading to android 8.1 the tracker stops after about 30 minutes. I uninstalled the app and tried to reinstall it but now it says it's incompatible with my device. Checked on Sportractives site and there is a known problem with various Nokia models since the upgrade from android 8 to 8.1. I tried Strava and this has the same issue, the app stops recording after about 30 mins. Has anybody else encountered this.

2 people have this question

I have the same issue indeed with Strava, hopefully HMD is fixing this soon.

Hi Stian I installed Wake Lock from the Google store. I turn this on and select Partial Wake Lock before I use Strava and it has solved the problem. Hope this helps.

I have the same issue with Nokia 8S / Oreo and Sportractive, Strava or Runkeeper. Having Amazon Music Player running at the same time fixes the issue. But without a second application running, it does not work. All OS adjustments that are reasonable do not fix the issue either. 

Does Nokia / HMD already look into this issue? It is clear that a long battery time is a key interest of device makers, and GPS does consume a lot energy. BUT it is my decision to use it for my activity purposes and hence I know that the battery will be strained, but this is ok in this time. My decision, isn't it?

Have the same problem with Sportractive. Never thought that a "pure" stock Android will have this silly problem. Looks like this problem is pending rather too long. Does anyone from Nokia monitor these groups? I had a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 which never had this problem. I bought the 6.1 because it's an Android Phone phone. No bloatware and assured security updates and OS updates. Looks like I made a mistake. Tried running a metronome during my run but didn't help. Has anyone else had a luck with the Wakelock program?
I'm having the same problem with Strava and Glympse on a 7+ with 8.1.

Tech Wizard

I use Sports Tracker (by Amer Sports) without issues and with default settings everywhere on Nokia 8. - I don't buy the explanation about 'Nokia issues' from other app developers - Sports Tracker is currently backward compatible with Android 4.4 ... If you decide to give ST a try, and it fails to work properly for you, then I suggest a factory reset of the phone. (I have used Sports Tracker since 2011 and I'm not going to double check your issues with other trackers). -- Hans

For me the May update (2018.05) fixed the issue with Strava.

Same with my Nokia 8 with Oreo 8.1.0 and all the latest updates

Tried with deactivated com.evenwell.powersaving.g3.overlay.base.s600ww and com.evenwell.PowerMonitor.overlay.base.s600ww but nothing helps

An update on GPS problem with Nokia 6.1. Normally Sportractive does not work. However, when I use Wake Lock to get a partial lock I could successfully track my runs from short 45 minutes to medium about 3 hours successfully.

One curious thing I noticed is that I need to get the partial wake lock before I get the GPS lock for the first time. Need confirmation from other users.

Login to post a comment