The community forum

Join the conversation

Severely let down

Warning: Rant ahead.

I've always been a fan of Nokia Devices. The first phone I owned that I thought was impressive for its time was the 6310 and the best phone I've ever owned is the Lumia 1520. Both phones are still functional to this day, but sadly Microsoft's lack of commitment to Windows Phone has meant that I needed to jump ship. I read some good things about the Nokia 8, and being a fan of the brand I thought it was going to be a great investment.

It's mostly lived up to my expectations, up until the last 24 hours where it has crashed and burned.

Historically, I'd used my 1520 to do some recordings of amateur stage productions and it's always worked really well. The camera was great, HDR handled the weird lighting required for stage shows and the in-built microphone was pretty good. I had no reason to suspect that the Nokia 8 was going to be any different (based on my casual use of it).

One thing I'll say is that I'm not using the latest 4.88 or whatever, as I've not got that yet. This is just standard Android 8.1.

The SD card I was using was formatted when I put it into the device, and unbeknownst to me (I've never had to care about this before) it was formatted using FAT32. FAT32 has a limit of 4gb file size. That roughly equates to 13 minutes of 4K video. As each half of the show was 45 minutes, you can see the problem here. Now that would be fine if it was a common problem, apart from the fact that *every* *other* *phone* *maker* uses exFAT, which does support large files. It would also be fine if the camera app split the files, or even told you that it was no longer recording (again, other phone manufacturers appear to have got the hang of). But no. What happens is that the camera app keeps counting up and implying that it is still merrily saving your data to the SD card. Then, because there's a 4gb limit the MP4 file gets truncated (rather than saved properly) meaning that it requires considerable effort (or money) to resolve, and recovering the sound is nigh on impossible.

Additionally, I attempted to raise this issue with support. After explaining the problem to them for 20 minutes in words I was hoping they would understand (as supporting the phone is meant to be their job) they told me to "clear data & cash[sic]" and "try another SD card". I gave up trying to explain to them what the problem was. They were "sorry for the missing[sic] ubderstanding[sic]" and wished me a nice day.

This has been a truly abysmal let down, and I can't believe that I'm unable to use exFAT or even Ext4 (if you didn't want to pay for royalties) in my device. I hate to say it, but I doubt I'm ever going to buy a Nokia again and certainly can't recommend them to people after this. I bought this device before the price reduction, so I've paid a not-insignificant amount of money for something that is surprisingly sub-standard (and arguably not even fit for purpose). My 1520, that I purchased more than 4 years ago (!!!), would still have done a better job than this phone did this weekend

Additionally, I don't appear to be able to change my name on the forums. It just comes back with a 500 server error. Happy Monday!

Matthew

*every* *other* *phone* *maker* uses exFAT

*No* *they* *don't*, some do.

I'll add to your rant.

"clear data & cache" seems to be the standard response to any issue. I've had to reluctantly abandon NOKIA having realised their commitment to customers was just the same as any other Chinese manufacturer, basically no commitment, no support, once you've bought the product you're on your own and a fully functional product today does not guarantee a fully functional product tomorrow, as they can break it remotely with a poorly executed 'update'.

Initially my phone (Android 7 on delivery) was great but the 8.0.1 update completely broke the tethering functionality that I use every day (fortunately fixed by a rather fiddly workaround offered by users of this forum - no joy from NOKIA beyond "clear data & cache") and then the 8.1.0 update caused the previously perfect Bluetooth to stop connecting to my car for music/audio (hands-free phone still works), sadly there's no working solution for this (NOKIA suggested "clear data & cache" of course) so I'm no longer able to use my phone to listen to Audio Books in the car.

To add insult to injury NOKIA don't read this forum which says a lot, because a company that wanted to offer good customer service would read what people were saying, they'd been keen to gather information on issues as early as possible and they would engage with those customers to reassure them that they were working on fixing their problems. But no, that's not the new NOKIA, the new NOKIA just says "clear data & cache".

I'm not sure how to respond to that. I suppose I can clarify my statement then to other phone makers worth dealing with (Samsung, Huawei, OnePlus, Sony, LG to start). I'm sure if you try you can find an example to back your side too.

In theory, whether others do it or not is probably irrelevant and distracts from my main point. This phone should be able to. It was a "flagship" phone, supporting (rather strangely) the ability to record from the front and the back camera at the same time. 

I'll stick my neck out without doing any research and say any Nexus, Pixel or any phone running Android One wont be using exFAT i wouldn't have thought.

The SD Card in my wife's Moto G5 Plus is also formatted to FAT32.

I think you're right about the Pixels, but they don't have SD card slot so all you have is the storage that's built in (and there's no reason that can't be formatted as ext4 or something that supports 4gb+ out of the box) and I'm yet to find anything official, but forum reports that the G5 supports exFAT, it just doesn't use it by default.

Having calmed down and thought about it some more, exFAT is not my main gripe here. My main issue with this is incident is that the camera app carried on counting up to 45 minutes, claiming it was recording. Androids that I've used in the past have either stopped recording at the 4gb mark (so you can hit record and start a 2nd file) or automatically start using a separate file. Instead, I was left with a file that I've had to spend a considerable amount of time trying to recover (due to the way MP4 works). It's frustrating as well because for me this is a new problem. My old phone used NTFS so didn't have this restriction.

I understand not wanting to pay the royalties to Microsoft, but that doesn't excuse the way the system handled the issue

Login to post a comment