The community forum

Join the conversation

Dead phone...and then resurrected

I bought the 6.1 about a month ago.  Phone worked for 4 days and I went to bed with the phone at about 50% charge.  I woke up the next morning with the phone dead.  I thought it was strange that it would discharge all 50% overnight but okay, I'll plug it in and see if there is an app causing the problem, etc.  The phone though would not charge and remained dead.  Contacted Nokia Support and went through all the steps to revive phone.  Nothing worked.  Advised to return phone to vendor.  I left it plugged in to see if it would charge. But the phone didn't show any signs it was charging at all (stone cold, no heat, nothing to indicate it was charging).  No amount of pressing the power button alone and with the volume buttons would power up the phone.

I returned the phone and when I contacted the vendor about the return status, they told they needed me to disable all security measures.  I told them I couldn't because the phone was dead.  They told me they charged it and it powered up perfectly.  I did try charge it via a power strip that worked (it powers the TV and everything attached with it).  

I know sometimes we do dopey things with technology but this one...I'm stumped with this mystery.

2 people have this question

I read elsewhere on the net that 4g could havd something to do with it. And that setting it for 3g eliminated it.... Sorry I have lost the link! I have read through most of the thread.

Yes, I posted that the last advice Nokia gave me was to turn off location and turn data down to 3G.  That's when I took the sim card out and started using my very old, geriatric phone.  Slow as heck but still works...for now.  And it's true for about 9 days, the Nokia didn't shut down while on WIFI only and no location.  But no location and 3G means it's useless to me.  If Nokia had advertised those features, I would have never bought the phone.

So has our phone restarted?  I charge it on and off over a couple of days.  Usually after 24 hours, merely using the power button starts the phone.  And it's all normal.  Nothing happens to the phone as far as I can tell.  The last time it happened, it wouldn't restart with just the power button, but it did with power plus volume button down. 

And yes, of course, when it shuts down initially, I tried all the different way to power it up (power, power with volume up, power with volume down, etc).  None of it worked except for time.  I just waited a day or two.

Yes, that's what basically happened this morning as well. I couldn't boot to safe mode. It was a dead duck. I might try see how it goes with this spark nz sim in. About 30mins after I inserted it, it started up okay and no further problems yet. Ive got a while to return it yet, so I'll see what happens and use my old phone for now. I'll keep you posted on how I go.
It shut down again. So wasn't the sim. It was displaying a strange message on the screen after a restart. I got back to Nokia again, told them about the message. They said take it back and get it exchanged.
FYI it said this - "the dm-verity is not started in restart mode, wait three seconds before proceeding" with white screen background and Android one logo.
Regarding to error "dm-verify", I read that this problem is connected to firmware problems, especially when using a custom ROM or using a firmware not compatible with that model. Maybe HMD is confusing releasing updates, and release updates bricking the phones with a firmware not compatible with a specific model? Here are some link about this issue (it refers to other brands, but seems the same thins as Nokia:

I exchanged the phone with another at Nokia's request. The replacement hasn't had any problems as of yet. But it has only been 24 hrs. In saying that the other phone had shut down and wouldn't restart twice in that time frame.

Another thing: why HMD doesn't have on the websites the original ROM and a software to recovery if necessary?

Login to post a comment