The community forum

Join the conversation

USB Tethering not working on Ubuntu 16.04

I have a Nokia 6.1 (TA-1068 model) and almost everything works as expected when connected via USB to my PC with Ubuntu 16.04. File transfer through MTP works ok, and also USB debugging. However, if I try to share my Internet connection via USB tethering, the PC does not respond at all. No internet connections or network interfaces appear, and `lsusb` only shows a device "Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0489:c022 Foxconn / Hon Hai".

With other android one devices, such as the Xiaomi Mi A1 this function works perfectly out-of-the-box. Are there specific drivers required for the Nokia 6.1?

Thank you very in advance much for your help.

1 person has this question
1 Comment

Tech Wizard

USB tethering to a Mate Desktop Linux PC does not work on my Nokia 8 either - but works fine with the same SIM in a Nokia 6 (old model).

The most noticeable network difference is that the Nokia 6 is not provisioned for Advanced 4G LTE / VoLTE, and Nokia 8 is.

I don't have the Linux skills to troubleshoot the issue on the PC and it does not seem to matter how the network preferences in the *#*#4636#*#* menu is set on the phone.
(Nokia 6 use TD-SCDMA/CDMA/UMTS as standard where Nokia 8 use LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) with the same Telenor Denmark SIM card).

USB tethering from Nokia 6 mimics an Ethernet connection on the PC, with no further adjustments needed:

Login to post a comment