The community forum

Join the conversation

RE: Focused vs. Other (help?)

Hi folks,

I upgraded my handset from a Lumia-735 to a Nokia-3 last month.

I am quite confused (and do not see the point) in why the email inbox (in Hotmail) has been divided into two categories - ie. 'Focused' and 'Other'.

There seems to be delays quite often in the amount of time a new email takes to reach my Hotmail inbox on my handset (compared to how long it takes to reach my laptop, or my spare Moto-G PAYG spare handset).  Sometimes, the Nokia-3 can be up to 10 mins behind!

Many thanks for any kind assistance offered here.

Paul (UK)

Microsoft recently created two portions on their Hotmail inbox called 'Focused' and 'Other'. This is what they said about it: "Focused Inbox separates your inbox into two tabs—Focused and Other. Your most important emails are on the Focused tab while the rest remain easily accessible—but out of the way—on the Other tab" If you don't like feature like me on your hotmail account then I can help you in turning it off and seeing all mails at one place like old times but to do that I want to know that which email app are you currently using on your phone for example Outlook Mail app or Gmail app etc...

I'm sorry @monsterjazzlicks but my reply is not showing here. :(

I wrote such a big and helpful reply for you but it's not appearing here, like always! :(

1 person likes this

Hi Paul, I don't use Hotmail but use Outlook which also has the focused inbox and it can be turned off in the menu settings, please see the link below to see how.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-ofolders/using-hotmail-how-do-i-turn-off-focused-other/57ee4156-3a3b-41b7-b55c-3745ca9dccfd

Focused Inbox helps you focus on the emails that matter most to you. It separates your inbox into two tabs-Focused and Other. Your most important emails are on the Focused tab while the rest remain easily accessible-but out of the way-on the Other tab.

Hope this helps.

I also replied earlier but it hasn't posted either.

Focused Inbox helps you focus on the emails that matter most to you. It separates your inbox into two tabs-Focused and Other. Your most important emails are on the Focused tab while the rest remain easily accessible-but out of the way-on the Other tab.

I use Outlook on the Nokia 3 which also has a focused Inbox, you can turn it off from the menu, which I guess will also be the same for Hotmail.

Hope this helps?

1 person likes this

Hi Emaz,

That really is such a shame that your kind replies are also lost!  It's a very bad situation and it seems to be happening all of the time now.  I really do wish the Site Admin would contact the Site Developers and resolve this issue asap.  It is simply not fair on all members of this forum!

You can always PM me on:

monsterjazzlicks <at> gmail <dot> <com>

Paul

Hi Badger,

It is a shame about the inconvenience.

I will have a look at your kind advice, thanks.  Do you mean I can turn OFF the Focused/Other option and have everything showing within one single folder, please?  This is how Hotmail appears on my PC.

Paul

Thank you for all that info dear.. And yes you can turn off focused inbox so that your all email could be at one place.. But would u please confirm me that are u trying to turn it off on the outlook app on nokia 3 or outlook.com on pc?

1 person likes this

Hi, yes you can turn it off I believe.

"Options" is under Cogwheel/Gear Setting menu last on the drop down list
On that page follow the reset
> Layout> Focused Inbox (on the left side of the page) and then you can turn it off.
Hope this helps!

1 person likes this

Hi Emaz,

Yes, I am trying to disable the Focused/Other facility on my Nokia-3 handset.

Cheers.

Badger,

The options were slightly different to how you described. There was no 'Layout'.  But there was 'Focused Inbox' with an On/Off; and I set this to 'Off'.

I think its worked.

Paul

Thank for ur reply! When u open the Outlook app you will see 3 lines at the top of the screen. Tap it then you will see a settings icon at the bottom of the screen. Tap it then you will see an option there as "Focused inbox". Now you can turn it off.... Hope that helps! :)

1 person likes this

Emaz,

Yes, thanks; I got it now mate!

Paul

That's great! Feel free to ask if u have any other problems or concerns! :)
Complaints regarding Hotmail should be directed to Microsoft ( developer and owner of the software) and not to Nokia.
Login to post a comment