The community forum

Join the conversation

Suggestion for New Nokia Feature Phone

Hi. I'd like to file a suggestion for a new Nokia Feature Phone. The details are as follows:

Model: The phone will be a Touch & Type Model similar to the Nokia X3-02 which released in 2010

Feature Set:

• 4:3 Bezel Less OLED Touch Display - Minimum Resolution: 640x480 @ 200+ PPI
  • Screen Size - 3.6 inches +
  • 2000+ mAh Battery
  • 12 MP + dual rear cameras (dual cameras to enable portrait mode)
  • 5 MP + selfie camera (optional - if you can fit it in)
  • Fingerprint Sensor on the back.
  • OS: Preferably and upgrade of the Nokia X3-02 OS (but do look into android if possible)

A few things I forgot to mention:

• 512 MB Ram
  • 16/32 GB Internal Storage | Expandable (optional)
  • USB Type-C
  • Bluetooth 4.0+, Wi-Fi (the basics)
  • Keep the Audio Jack
The OS of X3-02 is S40 which have been discontinued. And then S30+ on more recent Nokia feature phones have also been discontinued. The KaiOS on the latest 8110 4G is not designed with touch in mind. Not sure what is that Java-powered Feature OS in 3310 3G but I doubt it would support touch either. Then the only option would be to go android (the OS in 3310 4G is a Chinese Android fork) but a device form factor like x3-02 would probably be too small to provide a good android experience ...? Yet I still want to sew it happen. I don't think 3.6"+ is a good idea especially with the keyboard down below. Something similar to size of Sharp/LG flip phones would probably be better but in candybar form factor. 512 RAM will probably be too small for anything android even if optimized for feature phone use.

Just made a few calculations. A few updates:

• You're right. 3.6 would be too big. 3.2 inches should be the perfect size with no bezels. (I wouldn't go all the way down to 2.8 inches though).
  • 512 MB Ram is good enough for the new Android 8.1 GO. But 3.2 inches would be too small a form factor. So, scratch android.
  • The keypad doesn't have to be QWERTY. It can be a dialer keypad.
  • I'm sure Nokia maintains some Kernel Archives. They could pull up S40 again. Although, I feel it would be better to design a new OS altogether with newer technologies taking only few inspirations from its predecessor (I have some ideas for a new design, but we can cross that bridge if/when  we get to it).
  • Storage wise, I think 8/16 GB is a good idea and keep it expandable upto 64 GB if needed. This will, after all, not be your primary device.
  • Scratch the selfie camera, the user can use his primary device for that. But keep the high-end rear cameras.
  • I absolutely do recommend having a fingerprint sensor (note that this would mean changes to the OS - the addition of a lock screen etc). Then again, it's not a make or break feature. But, it would be really nice to have it.
Login to post a comment