The community forum

Join the conversation

Dual camera

Today i play with my nokia 8 camera. So switch to colur mode and take picture and then trun the twin mode on take the picture. On side by side comparison there is no difference in both pictures. So turun the twin mode and cover the monochrome sensor and take the picture and guess what camera take the picture and it take the same pic as i switch to colour mode. So what was the point dual camera?

I am with you, i think it is absolutely pointless and offers very little in the way of actually improving things.

A set up with 2 focal lengths would have been much more useful.

I also concur.

No difference in file size, or image quality. ISO is identical, as are the number of unique colours recorded. Shutter and aperture are identical too.

Either we're only getting images from the colour sensor anyway, which indicates there's a major issue, or the dual lens setting is pointless.

Tech Wizard

I previously requested an official white paper or at least a summary explaining how the dual-camera setup is used on Nokia 8, and how the camera app choose between its different auto modes and use AI in retouching pictures. There's more to it than meets the eye and the exif metadata, but I'm not going to argue with you all without official references ;)

But, surely, if the images look identical, and give identical exif data, the software isn't doing anything different in either case. If there was more image data in the dual lens shot, the file size would be bigger, and other params would be different.

1 person likes this
Shot a photo in very low light condition (e.g. indoor in sunset time). With the color sensor you obtain a photo with a lot of noise and poor details. With the dual sensor setup you obtain a sharper photo with no noise, but less accuracy on color. I think that the algorithm used for fusing the two pictures uses the data from the monochrome sensor only of is necessary. On the other hand, in indoor with a bit of light is better to use only the color sensor because of the OIS. This permits to shoot a photo with an higher exposure time. If you try in this conditions, with dual sensor you obtain a photo with noise because the lack of OIS. The software uses the two sensor, but I think they must tune the algorithm.

Curious about what you said, I ran a quick test. Darkened room, but not totally dark, no flash. 3 images taken using, dual, single and mono.

The shutter speed for all 3 was 1/20s. For the dual and single images, ISO was 804 and 826 respectively. For mono, that rose to 986. All at f2.0

Visible noise in the dual and single images is identical, on a dark area at 100%, to my eyes on a properly calibrated monitor. The mono, despite the higher ISO shows lower (or at least less debilitating) noise, which is perhaps to be expected as only luminance noise is in play whereas the others have colour noise as well.

It's not a scientific test, granted, but I'm still unconvinced about what the dual sensor option actually achieves.

1 person likes this

it is probably only of any use when using the depth of field mode, other than that it's pointless.

Both shoots was made at the same condition: sunset time, indoor, without artificial light; HDR and flash disabled. Obviusly the two images are compressed for the upload here.

First shot was made with the twin sensor setup; the second with only the color sensor.

It seems clear to me that the monochrome sensor is used in low light situations to capture more light. In this case the noise level is similar between the two shots and very low; but in other scenes I found myself with a lot of noise with only the color sensor. However, the level of detail in the twin sensor shot is clear.

P.S.: In the shot with the color sensor, despite having tried several times, the subject blur doesn't fail.

Thank you all of you people for showing your interest towards my this post. And after reading all comment and test my camera again and again, i has to say that Nokia 8 camera hardware is good (not the best as we seen in other flagships) but stock software is shit. Poor low light capabilities, poor portrait mode, less stabilized 4k video (1080p are very good) and app constantly crashes. But i have good news for all nokia 8 users that they install google camera from xda (latest version i.e 5.1.018) it is good in low light, portrait mode is better than stock camera and bonus feature is it can record 720p video at 60fps and there are other tons of features like enhanced hdr that stock camera lack of.
Login to post a comment