The community forum

Join the conversation

Do I need to worry?

I just got my phone 3 days ago and I haven't encountered any bug or issue and my experience has been flawless with this device. It runs on July security patch, model TA-1043. Coming to the threads right here, people are describing tremendous amounts of random shutdowns, lags, freezes etc. I got nothing like that in my 3 days of using this device. Was your experience the same in the first days with this device and later you started getting bugs? I am not that much sad that Nokia 5 and 6 get the security updates sooner, but I hope Nokia 6.1 will get a slice of Pie earlier than these non-androidone devices, hopefully in the next couple of months considering Nokia's previous record has been good regarding Android updates, way better than Xiaomi at least.

1 person has this question

Click on settings, about phone, and check the build number. You're most likely uses the 'E' firmware, so currently 00WW_2_22E_SP01. It's been worked out, at least it seems, that It's the A and B firmware variants that are stuffed. It is a little worrying that we get the updates so much later than the original Nokia 6 though,l. If they're having issues with updates what does that mean for Pie and Quinoa (or whatever Android Q will be) which this device is meant to receive, as well as 31 more months of security updates?

Every day that goes by without an update I get a little more worried. I got mine in mid June and haven't an update. I have the "A" firmware too. Sure wish they'd give us an update.

1 person likes this
I think you're right about the A and B firmware models. My phone too hasn't had the problems I always seem to read about .

1 person likes this

I haven't had the issues I've been reading about either. The camera will occasionally not open and some apps lag a little when starting up. Thing is my firmware is 00WW_2_22A_SP01 so I should be seeing some of the big issues.

I sent an email to customer support tonight and they replied very quickly with about a dozen steps to take. I did all of them but nothing changed. 

The steps they suggested are:

Go to Settings > Apps and notifications > App info > Google Play services > Storage > Clear data and Clear cache

• Settings > Security and location > Location Off

•Next, please do a Soft reset Press and hold at the same time Power key and Volume Up for Only 10 sec, until short phone vibration and Powered by Android message.

Your phone will restart, without deleting your data.

•Please remove the phone SIM card. (Also you can try it with SIM card from another operator)

•After that, please check for the update availability via Wi-Fi network

Settings > System > System update > Check for update

•VPN Steps:

•Turn Location off: Go to Settings > Security and location > Location > Tap to switch it Off.

•Download a VPN from Play Store.(Any VPN application)

•Clear Cache and data of Google Play services: Settings > Applications > Google Play Services > cache and data

•Deactivate Google Play Services. Navigate to Settings > Apps and notifications > See all apps > Google Play Services > Disable

They also wanted my IMEI number so I sent it but haven't back yet.

You are right, my phone has "E" firmware.
My works phone is a sony xperia xa2 this is still on the June update but I know I will get the July update eventually, if nokia dont do something about the July/August update then my 6.1 will be sold and I will get a xa2 as my personal phone as the way we are being treated is atrocious

I've posted a few comments with one quoting Nokia Support about steps to take to help the update happen. None have been approved I guess as I don't see them. 

Here's the latest from Nokia Support:

"We can fully imagine that the absence of the updates is frustrating you, this is why we would like to explain you the following:

Updates are not only depending on Nokia as a manufacturer. Google as owner of the operation system Android is releasing them and then we are trying to deliver them to the customers' phones. Sometimes there might be some delays caused by the many factors on which the updates are depending. Some factors are, as mentioned, Google, kernel version of the phone, your mobile operator. Via the SIM card, the mobile operator has huge impact over you phone and the updates and most of the time this might be the main reason for the delay. The absence of updates does not make the phone unusable, this is why we would recommend you not to worry and be a bit more patient."

Maybe I contact my carrier about it.

Just got August update on my 6.1 Firmware : E_SP02

Boy every day it gets more frustrating.

user1528132139066, Well it's been a week. Still haven't faced an issue.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.

user1528132139066, what gets more frustrating everyday?

The fact that I haven't received an update since June. It's why I started this thread. My firmware is  00WW_2_22A_SP01.

Login to post a comment