The community forum

Join the conversation

Even the phone doesn't work

Just to add to the list of problems that demonstrate why this phone is not fit for purpose, it doesn't even work as a phone. The one thing it is meant to do. A couple of weeks ago, I got a whatsapp message from someone trying to get in touch. He had repeatedly tried to call but "got some weird unavailable tone". I had no missed calls and no voicemails. I rebooted my TA-1050 and suddenly see voicemail notifications. How many other calls had I missed? I will never know. Then today, I try calling a service with a voice menu. No audio. Nothing. Reboot my phone yet again, redial the number and it works fine. Nokia - I do not want apologies for the inconvenience and promises that you will pass this onto your developers to look at. This phone cannot be relied upon as a phone. It is not fit for purpose. End of story.

It sounds like it could be a software issue, as issues can easily arise with the addition of third party apps. Whatsapp is a third party app btw, so doesn't come under the argument for fit-for-purpose. Third party apps more odten than not load on oot, or stay in memory after running. A lot of these you probably have permissions to without realising it in regards to calls etc. Most are also poorly written, they do the same thing as a gazillion other apps and only exist to get a slice of ad revenue. Sone will even push an ad on you when you aren't even using the app. I recommend cleaning if all apps you don't need or use. Then, under app setings for e stop all apps that have no reason to stay running in the memory. This includes games! These settings should persist across backups I believe, but check. The apps may still run though, but only after they have been run. When Android 9 comes out later this month for this device do a reset after installation and restore the backup.
Do not simply do a reset and restore the backup, because if third party apps are to blame you'll just restore the problem!

Thanks for your response. I am aware that whatsapp is a third party app and that's kind of my point: it worked, when the phone app did not. I have no games on my phone - in fact I have very little. Also, the phone is responsible for memory management and I shouldn't need to "clean" apps for the phone to receive calls - that's a fundamental job of a phone! I have never had issues this bad with any other Android phone, ever.

I had some very similar issues which were due to network issues.  In my case I had to contact customer support for my network provider and they did a "network reset".  Since then I have had no issues.

Login to post a comment